Speculation: Coaching Search - Part III: Dan Bylsma deal "imminent"

Status
Not open for further replies.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
But it's inflammatory and scares the **** out of people, and if they can get more people to say "do not want Bylsma," they feel like they're winning.

Many NHL people hold Bylsma in high regard in he has had 2 interviews with SJ. That holds much more weight than people on a message board that like or dislike him based on what others say. Go to any other team's board and look at the comments about the coach of that team. There will be fans saying that the coach doesn't change his style or favors the wrong players.

As Scotty Bowman said, "The thing that makes a great coach is great players."

Show me a great coach that didn't have great players to lead the way.

radar493

Mar 26, 2015
As Hamilton said TM is a detail guy. You can believe he wasn't running around his office yelling what do we do now!, What do we do now! yesterday. He will go on and proceed to find a coach.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
A lot of Sabretooth's post--not Sabretip's--that was largely based on anecdotal evidence was largely refuted soon thereafter, FWIW. I guess people hear and see what they want to hear and see.

Also, can't believe Bylsma was just put in the same sentence as Ted Nolan. From you, no less.
Keeping JVR's garbage ass in the Olympic lineup is enough for me to never want Bylsma near this team.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
Tim Murray on profile of coach he's looking for, "These days coaches need to bring more than work hard and let the chips fall in place. They need to bring analytics, knowledge, and more to the table..." Ouch!!!!

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Tim Murray on profile of coach he's looking for, "These days coaches need to bring more than work hard and let the chips fall in place. They need to bring analytics, knowledge, and more to the table..." Ouch!!!!

Zingggggggggggski to the most obvious Nolan detraction ever. Haha. Wow.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006

I feel comfortable with whoever he hires.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Fantastic responses from Murray today. Sounds like most of what we were hearing out of the Buffalo media yesterday was BS
Love listening to him talk but they really should have just had a press conference. Just revoke the media rights from certain idiots in the media and stop relying on WGR to get your voice out.

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES

I got a chance to tune in during a break at work:

Notes from interview:

- Asked Murray how Babcock delt with Sabres. Murray said it was a great process, no wrong doing by Babs. He's considered one of the best and for him to give us a good hard look was great for Murray's experience.

- Asked Murray..Org felt that they had a deal, is that true, was it close? Murray said "only Pegula's Murray and Mike knew negotiations and that it wasn't super close. Not sure who in TBN they spoke to about a a deal is practically done. Murray got the call at 11:33am that he wasn't coming to Buffalo. Murray said Ok, move on, that's it.

- Asked Murray same questions. Murray said he never was sure, maybe some optomism but about it. Maybe a conversation went well or something, but they knew he was talking to other teams.

- Babcock thought he was straight forward during the Toronto meeting today. Asked Murray if that's true. Murray said he was told that Bobcock told him he was still talking to Detroit Buffalo and Toronto.

- Asked Murray about not going to World Championships, but Babcock said it was interesting that SHannanhan went to the Worlds and went after Babcock there. Murray said no, we spoke and met before the worlds, and he has no second guessing or doubts about not going (scouting or Babcock reasons)

- After it's over, how soon was the next step thought about? Murray: He went back into the board room, had a sammich and continued on with his list. He took a couple of calls from interested parties, or people that knew someone interested. (Now that I think about it, not sure if the list was for 2015 draft?)

- He has spoken to other candidates besides Mike, before during and after Mike made his decision.

- Asked about Balsyma and any truth to any rumors out there. Murray: Pretty much no comment. He is trying to do it privately. he understands there's rumors and leaks, and that's fine. Would prefer to keep Sabres list private.

- Any challenge to coaching contracts now that Mike's salary is out there? Murray said lightheartedly maybe he should get the next contract in fast before Babcock's contract registers with the league. Salary's should bump up here and there with coaches. Experience and accomplishments of course factor in. Mie certainly had it in his mind he could set the bar for other coaches, which is fine.

- What kind of candidate looking for? (experience, a profile?, college, giving someone a shot?) Murray: Open minded to it all. Could interview a couple guys for Rochester and if impressed he could consider them for the Sabres, you basically never know and could be blown away by someone's plan. He could interview 8 total for Sabres/Rochester, and 4-5 of them could really impress. Nothing to do with a young guy for the young talent. Whoever is the best fit, no matter what.

- Murray said it is ludicrous that people are calling Babcock a liar. Never a deal very close or expecting a meeting to announce he's the coach.

- Asked about Eichel at the worlds and how he looked. Murray: Thought he was great. Tired for one game. Other than that, Great. Thought he was very very exciting to watch, above and beyond.

- "What about moving up to #1? or Calls about #2?" Murray had 2 calls if he would move his pick. "Calls were short, you could make an offer, but I don't think you want to move your franchise for #2 pick" Murray said he will not call Peter (Edmonton), we are set. He will make calls on the 21st pick. Wants to possibly move up from 21. or a young player already drafted (all makes sense).

- Looking forward to a solid communication line with the next coach. More than just "we just traded so and so, so you can't play him" (Reminded me of Money Ball :laugh:)

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey

Notes from interview:

- Asked Murray how Babcock delt with Sabres. Murray said it was a great process, no wrong doing by Babs. He's considered one of the best and for him to give us a good hard look was great for Murray's experience.

- Asked Murray..Org felt that they had a deal, is that true, was it close? Murray said "only Pegula's Murray and Mike knew negotiations and that it wasn't super close. Not sure who in TBN they spoke to about a a deal is practically done. Murray got the call at 11:33am that he wasn't coming to Buffalo. Murray said Ok, move on, that's it.

- Asked Murray same questions. Murray said he never was sure, maybe some optomism but about it. Maybe a conversation went well or something, but they knew he was talking to other teams.

- Babcock thought he was straight forward during the Toronto meeting today. Asked Murray if that's true. Murray said he was told that Bobcock told him he was still talking to Detroit Buffalo and Toronto.

- Asked Murray about not going to World Championships, but Babcock said it was interesting that SHannanhan went to the Worlds and went after Babcock there. Murray said no, we spoke and met before the worlds, and he has no second guessing or doubts about not going (scouting or Babcock reasons)

- After it's over, how soon was the next step thought about? Murray: He went back into the board room, had a sammich and continued on with his list. He took a couple of calls from interested parties, or people that knew someone interested. (Now that I think about it, not sure if the list was for 2015 draft?)

- He has spoken to other candidates besides Mike, before during and after Mike made his decision.

- Asked about Balsyma and any truth to any rumors out there. Murray: Pretty much no comment. He is trying to do it privately. he understands there's rumors and leaks, and that's fine. Would prefer to keep Sabres list private.

- Any challenge to coaching contracts now that Mike's salary is out there? Murray said lightheartedly maybe he should get the next contract in fast before Babcock's contract registers with the league. Salary's should bump up here and there with coaches. Experience and accomplishments of course factor in. Mie certainly had it in his mind he could set the bar for other coaches, which is fine.

- What kind of candidate looking for? (experience, a profile?, college, giving someone a shot?) Murray: Open minded to it all. Could interview a couple guys for Rochester and if impressed he could consider them for the Sabres, you basically never know and could be blown away by someone's plan. He could interview 8 total for Sabres/Rochester, and 4-5 of them could really impress. Nothing to do with a young guy for the young talent. Whoever is the best fit, no matter what.

- Murray said it is ludicrous that people are calling Babcock a liar. Never a deal very close or expecting a meeting to announce he's the coach.

- Asked about Eichel at the worlds and how he looked. Murray: Thought he was great. Tired for one game. Other than that, Great. Thought he was very very exciting to watch, above and beyond.

- "What about moving up to #1? or Calls about #2?" Murray had 2 calls if he would move his pick. "Calls were short, you could make an offer, but I don't think you want to move your franchise for #2 pick" Murray said he will not call Peter (Edmonton), we are set. He will make calls on the 21st pick. Wants to possibly move up from 21. or a young player already drafted (all makes sense).

- Looking forward to a solid communication line with the next coach. More than just "we just traded so and so, so you can't play him" (Reminded me of Money Ball :laugh:)

Great work on the summary. :thumbu:

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Can someone better in these things than I am get a cut of the question asking him to confirm whether they've asked for permission to talk to Bylsma? That was high comedy.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Why? He's a player's coach. He's a motivational coach first but unlike Ted Nolan he also has some in game awareness. Hence the term glorified or polished Ted Nolan.

correction. He has an actual scheme... but he certainly does not have any game awareness.

I've never seen a more "successful" NHL coach get more out-coached than Dan Blysma... and I watched over a decade of Lindy Ruff so that's an impressive feat.

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
Can someone better in these things than I am get a cut of the question asking him to confirm whether they've asked for permission to talk to Bylsma? That was high comedy.

Yeah it was very... ehhhhh... uhhhh, let's keep things private basically.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

Notes from interview:

Excellent. Thank you so much for this!!!! :yo:

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
But it's inflammatory and scares the **** out of people, and if they can get more people to say "do not want Bylsma," they feel like they're winning.

why do you break everything down to this immature level?

I think Blysma's a terrible coach. I don't want anyone to agree with me.

But, there are some pretty respected posters who happen to agree.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
why do you break everything down to this immature level?

You calling anyone else immature is rich.

I think Blysma's a terrible coach. I don't want anyone to agree with me.

But, there are some pretty respected posters who happen to agree.

No, you never campaign on your issues. :rolleyes:

Many don't agree with you, as well.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
A lot of Sabretooth's post--not Sabretip's--that was largely based on anecdotal evidence was largely refuted soon thereafter, FWIW. I guess people hear and see what they want to hear and see.

Also, can't believe Bylsma was just put in the same sentence as Ted Nolan. From you, no less.

My bad on the names. I was lit up yesterday so jumbled them up in my head. I'm not saying Bylsma == Ted Nolan. He's a better coach. Tortorella is a better coach than Nolan as well but I'd still refer to him as being another Nolan type of coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad