Coaching or Core: Where do you prefer the change?

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Well, there ya have it. Too many adjustments? I totally agree with you. But they've been made out of necessity because Roy continues to scramble and and patch up a ship that's not remotely seaworthy. If he gutted his system entirely and went with something a bit more conventional by NHL standards (which he is essentially doing every time he makes an "adjustment") then IMO he'd have more success.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I don't see much success with Holden in the top 4 and McLeod, Comeau, and Agozzino/Martinsen playing big roles in the top 9 regardless of the system employed... but to each their own.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I don't see much success with Holden in the top 4 and McLeod, Comeau, and Agozzino/Martinsen playing big roles in the top 9 regardless of the system employed... but to each their own.

Well, hate to sound like a broken record, but spreading these guys out so horribly on the breakout is one reason why opposing teams are capitalizing on turnovers and other miscues IMO. Conventional wisdom usually preaches that teams should try and minimize gaps between D and O. Yet Roy's system seemingly encourages them. So if the players are not quality, why then does he keep using this system that pulls them out of position in the event of a turnover? Again, I'd argue he had a much more conventional breakout scheme his first year. All five players moved up the ice much more cohesively, and while there was better talent up front, I'd argue it certainly wasn't on the back end.

Yeah, better, faster players would look better in this scheme. Hell, the top line obviously does better than a lot of other players do out there, but my argument is that they do more to cover up the flaws in the system rather than capitalize on any supposed strengths. A better, simpler system would not make these guys a contender overnight but I would almost bet anything that we wouldn't see as many turnovers and a lot fewer of those turnovers resulting in clean breaks and scoring chances the other way.

DarioinDenver

Jun 19, 2002
Denver, CO
Visit site
Dario missed the point of that play. It's a set play they use where the wingers spread out high, takes the pass from the D, then skates back a tad towards their own end to draw the D man up away from his end. Then he spins towards the boards to protect the puck, and finally dishes to the speedy center (Nate or Dutchy) breaking up the middle. That's why it developed right off the opening faceoff.

If he beats his man up the middle, and Landy draws his D man up away from his end, and is able to get the pass cleanly through, then there's a potential one on one or breakaway for Dutchy or Nate. It's a change of direction/pace kind of play designed specifically for Nate or Dutchy at center.

Problem is as he says, Holden can't pass worth a damn and throws a grenade at Landy. Wouldn't' be surprised if he flubbed it and it was bouncing towards him.

I don't think I missed the point of the play. I've seen them practice this from training camp to recently. The winger is playing a give and go. If the center is covered then they need to do a 180 on their forehand (part of Roy's obsession with handiness) to chip it off the boards for the streaking center. The problem is that this play doesn't work in the NHL and it's got inherent flaws to begin with. Namely, making the winger stand still to feed the puck out puts said winger solidly in the neutral zone with just one streaking winger (faaaaaaaar winger in this case) to support the play. If executed perfectly, the Avs are outnumbered on a rush or on a forecheck. They not only practice this for neutral zone faceoffs but also from deep in their own zone. It leads to stalled out plays that don't get the third forward involved on the rush and a huge number of icing plays when the Avs have total control of the puck.

Is this coaching? Sure is. Is it Army or Roy? It doesn't really matter because ultimately it's Roy's decision and responsibility. I think like that he's a coach that's surprisingly not too stubborn to change (his shift in focus from man to man or his willingness to put emphasis on shot attempts). However, I think he's too slow to change when it conflicts with his prejudices. He kind of just fell in to the 1-2-3 line and it worked. He could have done this many, many times over the last two years but the dream of spreading his top centers out just seemed too large of a predisposition for him to abandon. Another example is his unwillingness to make adjustments against Toronto on the PK. Babcock badly outcoached him here and scouted the blind back post play and it lost the Avs the game. His continued stubbornness of putting left handed shots on the left and right handed shots on the right. His most talented defensemen? Barrie and EJ. Have they played more than half a shift together? No, because both are right handed. Nevermind that Barrie played on his off hand all through juniors and made killing (and he clearly has the demonstrated puck skills and temperament to make that adjustment to the left). Putting Rantanen in as a LW for his NHL games pretty much sealed the deal.

Roy can adapt, he just needs to do it faster.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I don't think Roy cares that much about handedness. He's had Guenin switch, Zadorov did it when he played with Holden. Tanguay, Mitchell and Comeau have each played either side. I think he did it with McGinn too. Duchene is playing on the other side right now obviously. Barrie isn't going to get the responsibility in role to play with EJ, that's why he hasn't. Rantanen had to play the left side because first it was Rendulic had to be on the right and then when he was with Duchene it was because Iggy had to be on the right.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I don't think these were ever posted. I don't bring this up to cause some coaching rants but for anyone who is curious on what goes on when they look at film. Also the depth chart is behind Roy, just saying. I can only see the junior players tho.

[nhl]854234[/nhl]

[nhl]854237[/nhl]

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Well there we go, that 2nd video basically confirms what most of us have thought for a long, long time: Tim Army is in charge of the power play.

Army gives off a very "Yes Man" vibe in those videos, you can see why he's stuck around for a while.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
I don't think these were ever posted. I don't bring this up to cause some coaching rants but for anyone who is curious on what goes on when they look at film. Also the depth chart is behind Roy, just saying. I can only see the junior players tho.

[nhl]854234[/nhl]

[nhl]854237[/nhl]

There has been alot of debate who runs the powerplay. Did I understand correctly that Roy confirms that Tim is in charge it? At the very end of second vid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad