Coaching Discussion: Jon Cooper - Part 2

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Ah yes Tampa is the only contender ever injured, get real. If Cooper can pull off a win that'd be great, he's 0-6 so.....

Yeah we shoulda won it all with Anders Lindback or the other 3 times our starting goalie got hurt or when Johnson or Stamkos or Stralman or Hedman..... Surely we'll tell my grandkids how the Hawks won it all without Kane or the Kings without Quick or the Pens without Crosby or the Blues without Pietrangelo and ROR or the Caps without Ovechkin. The closest anyone's come to winning without a major star lately was Letang and it was offset by lights out goaltending by Matt Murray. Sheesh wut wuz I thinkin dawg? I shoulda gotten mad as hell just like you did and wanted Coop fired fresh off a Cup final no one expected us to be in while years later people think he overachevied his first 3 years and been even more mad we didn't make the playoffs with Tampacuse and get bitch slapped by the #1 seed.

If we DO win it all try to a manage a smile and go longer than a season calling for heads... We win half the series we've ever lost with a healthy Bishop alone.

Reactions: Mayhem41

Hockeyman1962

Dec 22, 2019
I realize the lightning are winning but Cooper still does not get it. He continually plays with the lines and players minutes. The lightning win because they are loaded with talent it has nothing to do with the coaching staff. If he continues to over play KUCH it will catch up to him come playoffs when they hit and cover KUCH he will fall apart and go nuts. The power play is the same game after game with either KUCH or Stamkos taking a slap shot. They have become very predictable on the power play. I don't understand why Stamkos being the captain does not talk to the coaches on behalf of the players.

Reactions: PJ817

Mayhem41

Mar 17, 2019
O-Town, F-L-A
I realize the lightning are winning but Cooper still does not get it. He continually plays with the lines and players minutes. The lightning win because they are loaded with talent it has nothing to do with the coaching staff. If he continues to over play KUCH it will catch up to him come playoffs when they hit and cover KUCH he will fall apart and go nuts. The power play is the same game after game with either KUCH or Stamkos taking a slap shot. They have become very predictable on the power play. I don't understand why Stamkos being the captain does not talk to the coaches on behalf of the players.

He throws lines in the blender all the time, as many coaches do. Actually good idea as you never know who will be forced to play with who due to injuries, not to mention it keeps things fresh. Just what do you want Stamkos to say to Cooper? I suppose you want him to move the second most lethal left circle shot and the first most lethal right circle shot out of those areas due to a dry stretch. How utterly clueless can an opinion be? Power play is NOT an issue with this team, despite it's shortcomings lately. Let's move people from positions where they are proven great cause they aren't humming right now, even though the team is still winning. Really glad you aren't the coach. I actually think it's a very good sign that they continue to win without powerplay help. PK is 100 times more important. We've seen power play can dry up for any team at any time. Carry on. People who don't know any better always blame the coach, it's really quite amusing.

Last edited:

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
You can't use what happened with other coaches/teams and apply it to the Lightning. Every team is an independent ecosystem with a million variables affecting success.

All you can do is look at your own team and see if things are meshing and if there's room for improvement. Personally, I think Gallant would improve this team.
People will say stuff like this and call Coop a choker but conveniently forget Gallants stacked Vegas team choking away four goals to San Jose.

Reactions: Hoek

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
If he continues to over play KUCH it will catch up to him come playoffs when they hit and cover KUCH he will fall apart and go nuts.
Here we go again.

What is the part of Kuch ONLY f***ING PLAYING 18:37 ON AVERAGE you don't get?

Why are you talking over and over again about this nonsense when there is NO STAR PLAYER LOGGING IN LESS TOI THAN KUCH AND STAMKOS???
The average star plays at least 21 mins a night, look it up.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
There's a fine line between coaching failure in the playoffs and players choking. I don't think we're gonna be seeing either in 4 months. This team has IT right now. You need a little luck on your side too but the fact we're on a 10 game bender without a functioning PP gives you a foreshadowing of our potential.

If we survive the East I like our odds of taking it home. The West is a hot mess right now

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
There's a fine line between coaching failure in the playoffs and players choking. I don't think we're gonna be seeing either in 4 months. This team has IT right now. You need a little luck on your side too but the fact we're on a 10 game bender without a functioning PP gives you a foreshadowing of our potential.

If we survive the East I like our odds of taking it home. The West is a hot mess right now

Let’s just focus on getting out of the first round right now! Lol

Letsgobolts21

Apr 19, 2019
Is cooper fired if he loses in round one ?
No chance at this point. They will be at worst a 2 seed in their pod. So right now they'd play the Leafs who by the time the playoffs get here may have their injuries healed and if so will be a much better team. Losing a series to them would be an upset, but not a shock like last year. If they pass Boston and get the 1 seed, then it's Flyers/Jackets/Canes/Panthers? Yes we should beat those teams, but we aren't light years better than them.

This guy has been successful pretty much everywhere he's been and I think until NHL won a title as well. He's got at least next season to get a title here---but sure as heck hoping this is the year.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
No chance at this point. They will be at worst a 2 seed in their pod. So right now they'd play the Leafs who by the time the playoffs get here may have their injuries healed and if so will be a much better team. Losing a series to them would be an upset, but not a shock like last year. If they pass Boston and get the 1 seed, then it's Flyers/Jackets/Canes/Panthers? Yes we should beat those teams, but we aren't light years better than them.

This guy has been successful pretty much everywhere he's been and I think until NHL won a title as well. He's got at least next season to get a title here---but sure as heck hoping this is the year.

If he loses in the first round, there's no way we don't fire him. It will be amiable, but he's been here a long time.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Given Brisebois stance. I doubt it.

Which leaves another year of waiting, and then the window shrinks.

It's his public stance. You can't come out and say "Yeah, we don't know what's going to happen with the coach," mid-season. If we load this roster up, and then lose in the 1st round? Probably even in the 2nd round? You just can't keep the coach. At that point it doesn't even matter what he's doing. You just can't keep him. I think the 3rd round keeps him here, but even that's not a given. Coaches have shelf lives, and cup windows don't stay open forever.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
It's his public stance. You can't come out and say "Yeah, we don't know what's going to happen with the coach," mid-season. If we load this roster up, and then lose in the 1st round? Probably even in the 2nd round? You just can't keep the coach. At that point it doesn't even matter what he's doing. You just can't keep him. I think the 3rd round keeps him here, but even that's not a given. Coaches have shelf lives, and cup windows don't stay open forever.
Absolutely brisebois will always have coopers back in public. But for sure brisebois being aggressive at this stage means he doesn’t want a first round exit! Again the next step is the coach if this doesn’t work this year.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Absolutely brisebois will always have coopers back in public. But for sure brisebois being aggressive at this stage means he doesn’t want a first round exit! Again the next step is the coach if this doesn’t work this year.

Right, I mean, what's the alternative? MORE PLAYERS!?

We have unquestionably the best top-9 in the league right now. Our top-4 D have got to be top-5. Vasy might well win his second Vezina.

You don't just blow up a team that can put up 120 points in a season. At least, not before you try a new coach.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Right, I mean, what's the alternative? MORE PLAYERS!?

We have unquestionably the best top-9 in the league right now. Our top-4 D have got to be top-5. Vasy might well win his second Vezina.

You don't just blow up a team that can put up 120 points in a season. At least, not before you try a new coach.

there is really no reason this team can't at least make the 3rd round. If there out in round one then it's time to try a new coach because then something is really wrong.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
i have given up the fire cooper thing after what he has done my big thing was did he lose the room and maybe he actually did

he sure as hell has the room now... he is the only coach with multiple 10 win streaks he is up there with the greatest ones of all time .... you put that into perspective at having the greatest winning streak in ahl history??? and then you look at all the injuries did he deserve a pass yep

he has turned this team about.... i said when he had to win he did that in spades he got them to buy in took forever but now HEALTHY and that is the big thing how do we go into the playoffs as we have seriously not had a lot o luck so far ..... he has implemented a change and to me this team has moved a ton past last years team that is besides the injuries we had in the sweep..... but this new team no power play 11 str8 wins like 2-3 losses since what christmas time like???? thats sick we went from out of playoffs to top position in league.... that is coaching

i just HOPE we are healthy finally its hard to win the cup but we are now the favorite as we should have been cooper has my vote moving forward imho

any sane person would get that so far its been injuries holding us back.... this team is different though finally they have learned to win.... they only need a goal and a lead and they shut it down

this team will get the cup

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad