Coaching Carousel Thread

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
This would be the absolute best possible scenario. Sadly I don’t think he leaves Carolina. He will sign for a hometown discount just to remain with the organization.

I don't know what he wants, but I heard he's holding out until Carolina offers contracts to everyone who works for him (assistants, equipment guys, trainers, ice girls, etc.... made that last one up). I doubt Carolina balks at that, but who knows.

Reactions: 13to40 and FMichael

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
I don't know what he wants, but I heard he's holding out until Carolina offers contracts to everyone who works for him (assistants, equipment guys, trainers, ice girls, etc.... made that last one up). I doubt Carolina balks at that, but who knows.
I've heard the same...Good on Rod for making sure his 'work family' is taken care of.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
I've heard the same...Good on Rod for making sure his 'work family' is taken care of.
He apparently has a verbal agreement for 1.8M and was waiting for the rest of the staff to be signed before he puts his name formally on the contract.

Reactions: FMichael

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
He ain't that good if he was he would already been a head coach by now. He was on teams who has good players still no cup so he is no different from some other coaches

Might want to have a relook at history. Vegas was an expansion team and was largely considered to be a bottom 5-10 team, and Florida was not the Florida team we see today, they were quite a bit worse. Not sure how good he is or isn't, but I do believe he is a Top 10 coach in the NHL at the very least in short bursts.

Reactions: golffuul

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I hope so. It hastens a Werenski homecoming.
Larsen has been in Columbus for 7 years, Torts for 6. The guy was an AHL/NHL tweener as a checking line winger. Pretty similar NHL career to Disco, and there's also this:

"After leading the NHL in power-play percentage (25.8%) through the first 41 games, the Blue Jackets ranked last through their final 41 games (11.8 %). They’ve mostly struggled ever since, going a combined 122 for 754 over the past four seasons for a 16.2% success rate that ranks 29th out of 31 teams in that span."

So basically they promoted Disco, lol.

Columbus Blue Jackets: Brad Larsen hired as head coach

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Pretty sure this "exhaustive" search was pretty much predicated on the amount of money the owner wanted to spend.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Pretty sure this "exhaustive" search was pretty much predicated on the amount of money the owner wanted to spend.

I would have applied, but they said I wanted too much. I thought $75,000 was fair!

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Larsen has been in Columbus for 7 years, Torts for 6. The guy was an AHL/NHL tweener as a checking line winger. Pretty similar NHL career to Disco, and there's also this:

"After leading the NHL in power-play percentage (25.8%) through the first 41 games, the Blue Jackets ranked last through their final 41 games (11.8 %). They’ve mostly struggled ever since, going a combined 122 for 754 over the past four seasons for a 16.2% success rate that ranks 29th out of 31 teams in that span."

So basically they promoted Disco, lol.

Columbus Blue Jackets: Brad Larsen hired as head coach

That right there is 75% of NHL head coaches.

I know very little about Brad Larsen. I am surprised that this hire is so unpopular given that no one has suggested preferred alternatives.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
That right there is 75% of NHL head coaches.

I know very little about Brad Larsen. I am surprised that this hire is so unpopular given that no one has suggested preferred alternatives.
PP. Same reason why we hate Disco. Stevie let Disco go, CBJ promoted their version.

A lot of NHL coaches were AHL tweeeners, but they weren't checking line guys. Typically just not big enough or fast enough for the NHL. Those guys have hockey IQ, checking line guys typically don't. All the same I'd prefer someone like Brind'Amour.

Christien

May 1, 2010

Is this the guy that ran the PP in Carolina?

EDIT: Nvm, this guy was in charge of their defensive duties. A Canes fan I asked also suggested that their guy in charge of the PP might possibly be let go as well, that was just speculation though. Could be huge if we were able to get him.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad