Coaching Carousel Thread

Richard Gibson

Dec 5, 2018
Aaron Portzline
@Aportzline

·
3h
#CBJ
John Tortorella: “After discussion and consideration of the future direction of the team, Jarmo and I have come to a mutual agreement to part ways. I’d like to thank the Columbus Blue Jackets organization for the opportunity to coach this team and live in the great

Richard Gibson

Dec 5, 2018
John Tortorella, Blue Jackets 'mutually agree to part ways'
No doubt about it, John Tortorella is a polarizing coach; he was before, during, and might be one after his time with the Columbus Blue Jackets. However you feel about Tortorella (or “Torts”), his Blue Jackets days are over.
The Blue Jackets made it official on Sunday, saying the head coach and the team “mutually” agreed to part ways.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I sincerely hope that whenever Detroit chooses to replace Blashill, they have nothing to do with the carousel. Personally I want Lane Lambert, but I'll trust Yzerman with anybody that's not part of the retread club.

roman star

ready to march
Feb 17, 2019
please dont start a ' buddys club ' and hire gallant , theres already enough ' super friends ' on board . plus i dont want a coach with a fat ass barking at the players to skate .

ide like to swing for the fences and hire a first time head coach .
like mr ilitch said long ago ' whose the best ? ' , and theres no ex head out there has shown to be top dog , so hire a newbie in effort to find the best in the business .

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
please dont start a ' buddys club ' and hire gallant , theres already enough ' super friends ' on board . plus i dont want a coach with a fat ass barking at the players to skate .

ide like to swing for the fences and hire a first time head coach .
like mr ilitch said long ago ' whose the best ? ' , and theres no ex head out there has shown to be top dog , so hire a newbie in effort to find the best in the business .

I don't mind that if they don't plan on stubbornly keeping them around for a decade again no matter how they do

if the plan is to do that again then please make sure they can actually Coach before hiring them this time

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I feel like we would know by now if we planned to part ways. He’s not under contract with the completion of this season. If they were going to split, it would have been announced.

Similar to Tortorella or Tocchet.

My guess is there are discussions to be had about a potential short term extension.

Reactions: CairneBloodhoof

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I thought he really turned it around in Florida and did a solid job in Vegas. Maybe I’m wrong.

The rumors on the team turned on him in Vegas because of his style and that no team wants to touch him after that, especially with Vegas still playing great hockey without him.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Not shocked about Tocchet leaving at all. Earlier in the year Ken Daniels mentioned that Tocchet (pretty sure it was him), may have been Brind'Amour (can't remember) was only getting 650,000 to coach. Either way, Tocchet likely wasn't getting paid much in Arizona, so he will likely want more than they want to pay.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
The rumors on the team turned on him in Vegas because of his style and that no team wants to touch him after that, especially with Vegas still playing great hockey without him.

I find it hard to believe the room turned on him, as isn't he more of a player friendly coach?

Reactions: FMichael

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I find it hard to believe the room turned on him, as isn't he more of a player friendly coach?
I had heard that Gallant is all fire and ra ra, but no X's and O's. Which tends to result in initial success, but no long term staying power.

That's why I'd much prefer a guy like Lambert, who has a reputation of being an incredible student of the game. That type of coach has a better chance of sticking around for several years of increasing success, instead of a flash in the pan.

Hoog

Feb 4, 2021
Technically, isn't Blashill really a free agent that we just don't have to resign and let walk? Wonder if there is something in the contract about him being "fired" before the contract actually expires? Also, wonder if any of those open positions Blashill would be a candidate for.....:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:....oh wait a minute, I have to catch my breath from laughing.

As for Gallant, I like him. I think our team is one that he would thrive with as a coach. Seems to do better on younger or more workman like teams than ones with established stars. I've always thought he made everyone work so the entitled older guys didn't care for him. Either way, I don't know if Steve wants to put himself in the position of having to possibly fire him at some point since they are tight. Still think we need to go off the board for someone, maybe, European coach? I don't know but have been waiting to celebrate the loss of Blashill for a few years now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad