Coaches polled on Norris Trophy (McDonagh in the mix)

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Offense rules the day in Norris voting. Its misguided and unfortunate, but thats the reality.

That must be why karlsson was given a grand total of one fifth place vote

If I had said thats the only factor, maybe you'd have a point.

It must be why he won it a couple years ago - and guys like Mike Green have won it.

You most definitely implied that it is the single most important factor.

The Undertaker

Jun 22, 2012
The fact that Girardi finished 6th in the voting for this a few years ago and McD isn't getting any votes now is a sick joke

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
That list for the Norris is a complete disaster. It's harder to gauge defensemen's value and these sports writers are a pretty lazy group to begin with. Like someone else said, this is just a name recognition contest.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
lol Vlasic.

Just goes to show how out to lunch some of these writers are.

The fact that the media plays such a big part in handing out awards is a tragedy, and why they should be taken with a grain of salt.

As long as McDonagh keeps being special for this team, I could give two ****s about him winning the Norris.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Vlasic's pretty underrated and a great defenseman but yeah that's some extreme homer votes getting him mentioned at all

Jacques Trap*

If I had said thats the only factor, maybe you'd have a point.

It must be why he won it a couple years ago - and guys like Mike Green have won it.

As mentioned by another poster, you seemed to strongly imply that voters look for offense above else which is not the case or Karksson as the best offensive D would have more than one 5th place vote. Subban would also be higher.

Also, when or in what universe did Mike Green win the Norris?

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Just noticed Matt Niskanen has a vote, and McDonagh doesn't.

Rendering the writers' opinions even less valid than they were just three hours ago.

And they were already pretty invalid.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Just noticed Matt Niskanen has a vote, and McDonagh doesn't.

Rendering the writers' opinions even less valid than they were just three hours ago.

And they were already pretty invalid.

Seriously, what the ****?

Guys like Vlasic, sure. Absolutely. They're older, and Vlasic had a hell of a season.

...But Giordano?

Cake or Death

According to hockey media members who released their ballots early, McDonagh is nowhere near the Norris radar. In fact, he's expected to finish outside the top 10, behind Mark Giordano and Marc-Edouard Vlasic

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1648701

I don't understand :help:

Meanwhile, our playoff opponent's coach is re-wiring his offensive scheme to try to deal with McD. I wouldn't worry too much about meaningless Norris votes

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Seriously, what the ****?

Guys like Vlasic, sure. Absolutely. They're older, and Vlasic had a hell of a season.

...But Giordano?

Um, Giordano is one of the few defencemen that has an argument of having a better season than McDonagh.

I agree that the voting is preposterous, but bringing up Giordano as the example of that is just wrong IMO.

Niskanen, Vlasic, Markov, Kronwall, even Doughty and Chara are better examples of stupid voting than Giordano.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Like I said you get a lot of homer votes from guys who are just like "eh Chara's gonna win it I"m just gonna homer vote for my favorite defenseman on the team I cover" and so you get guys like Niskanen getting Norris votes

Bullseyes

Aug 16, 2013
While I don't think McDonagh should win the Norris, he should be getting votes. He certainly had a better season than some of the players getting votes.

Also, if Chara wins it'll be because of his reputation. He didn't play at the level that Keith or Weber did. He shouldn't be that high in the first place.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
1)Chara has a reputation.
2)Charas team won the presidents trophy.
3)Most hockey writers probably watch just the games they are assigned to and none other.

1+2+3= Chara wins Norris.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Um, Giordano is one of the few defencemen that has an argument of having a better season than McDonagh.

I agree that the voting is preposterous, but bringing up Giordano as the example of that is just wrong IMO.

Niskanen, Vlasic, Markov, Kronwall, even Doughty and Chara are better examples of stupid voting than Giordano.

I always mix up Yandle and Giordano for some reason, whoops.

Garfinkel1

Jun 28, 2008
CT
I dug up an old article that came out during the trade...

"He is an outstanding playmaker and an excellent skater," Canadiens general manager Bob Gainey said in a statement. "He brings to our team a lot of playoff experience. Scott is an elite player who will certainly contribute to the success of our team for years to come."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad