Coach T's I will walk.

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
You know, since Tortorella has been hired I'm finding myself reading the sports section of the Province less and less. The media wants a side show so badly, it's all hands on deck every time he says something. Does he not say hockey-related things worth reporting on?

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
No big deal and it should be expected. You are in a meeting. Turn the phone off. It's really just polite and something that is expected in most companies. This is no different. You either want to ask questions/listen to answers or talk/type on the phone. You can not do both.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
A lot of 'reporters' these days rely on their phones to tweet what they are hearing as its happening in a press conference.
Yes phones are important for press conferences nowadays but I think when people here and Torts say "Turn off your phone", it really means turn off your ringer, make your phone silent. Meaning you can still use your phone and not make a sound to distract the person speaking.

Frustrated the hell out of me in university. And then there are people who let it ring the first time and do nothing. Then they get another call and the same thing happens. All I can do is shake my head. It takes literally less than 10 seconds. Instead of eating the donut or now veggies the Canucks supply these hacks before the presser, they spend some precious time turning their phone on silent.

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
We should rename this thread "Re-Torts" and use it all season long for the inevitable media shenanigans.

:laugh:

It's so revealing to listen to Tony Gallagher talk about Torts on the pregame show. He can't understand what kind of person would react like that to the cell phone the way Torts did. The press are so put upon because they don't get any information from the team.

Deny, deflect. Even TonyG can't see the emperor has no clothes.

Except for, you know, the information that was coming out of Torts mouth when some clown's cell phone rang, then resumed after he took what, five seconds to address that interruption.

Honestly I saw all the mentions of this and then went to watch the clip and I found what Torts had to say about hockey vastly more interesting than what he had to say about the faux pas committed by some cameraman.

As has been mentioned this is just another case of the media taking the low hanging fruit (gruff guy says thing!) rather than doing their god damned job which is to report on the game and things actually related to it.

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Shockingly Team 1040 is right in line with Torts on this topic. You are in a professional setting so turn it off.

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
i don't care.
i don't want to hear any drama from or about torts in the media.
i don't want to hear any drama from or about Luongo in the media.
i just want to see production on the ice.
that is all.

Betamax*

No big deal and it should be expected. You are in a meeting. Turn the phone off. It's really just polite and something that is expected in most companies. This is no different. You either want to ask questions/listen to answers or talk/type on the phone. You can not do both.

Shockingly Team 1040 is right in line with Torts on this topic. You are in a professional setting so turn it off.

Sure. But people do make mistake. Let's remember, Coach Torts is a representative of the Canucks and one of their most prominent figures at the moment. Do you think it's polite to threaten to talk about huge fines, and "walking off" when hearing an inadvertent cell phone go off? Yeah, sure it's annoying. But he could have handled it like what most people would ... in a less than hostile manner. That was just a little incident. Just imagine when something really bothers him this upcoming season. Will all his re-branding talk about changing his approach be nothing more than just that ... talk and the real Torts will appear when he and the Canucks have their stretch of adversity?

i don't care.
i don't want to hear any drama from or about torts in the media.
i don't want to hear any drama from or about Luongo in the media.
i just want to see production on the ice.
that is all.

Yeah ... you may not care but you do care enough to make a post about it. If you want less drama, it's going to have to come via the actions/reactions of Torts and Bobby Lu and how they perform and conduct themselves this upcoming season.

Stonz

Oct 10, 2006
Burnaby, BC
In my opinion, Torts' reaction isn't over the top at all.

I can think of several NHL coaches who would likely have reacted in a similar or more aggressive manner.

You think Carlyle or Laviolette aren't going to say something in that situation?

Typically overblown by the media.

Betamax*

In my opinion, Torts' reaction isn't over the top at all.

I can think of several NHL coaches who would likely have reacted in a similar or more aggressive manner.

You think Carlyle or Laviolette aren't going to say something in that situation?

Typically overblown by the media.

Yeah but ... Torts has developed this certain rep of "snapping" when irritated, so he's on a shorter leash so to speak and every word he says is going to be scrutinized a lot more, especially in a market like this.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
He's just setting this up for future use. This way, when he doesn't want to go any further with a press conference, he can just pretend he heard a cell phone ringer and leave ;)

Betamax*

Why it was a headline is beyond me. I thought it was always proper procedure to have phones off thru all meetings,interviews.

It would be kinda funny if a reporter or anyone who attends a future Torts' press conference brings in a phone with a "Best of Torts quote" as a ringtone and have it "accidentally" play .....

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Sure. But people do make mistake. Let's remember, Coach Torts is a representative of the Canucks and one of their most prominent figures at the moment. Do you think it's polite to threaten to talk about huge fines, and "walking off" when hearing an inadvertent cell phone go off? Yeah, sure it's annoying. But he could have handled it like what most people would ... in a less than hostile manner. That was just a little incident. Just imagine when something really bothers him this upcoming season. Will all his re-branding talk about changing his approach be nothing more than just that ... talk and the real Torts will appear when he and the Canucks have their stretch of adversity?

Yeah ... you may not care but you do care enough to make a post about it. If you want less drama, it's going to have to come via the actions/reactions of Torts and Bobby Lu and how they perform and conduct themselves this upcoming season.

I'm not sure you even watched the video, a phone rang he stopped said if cell phones go off he will walk, then continued on as if nothing happened. There was no blowing up or anything.

Betamax*

I'm not sure you even watched the video, a phone rang he stopped said if cell phones go off he will walk, then continued on as if nothing happened. There was no blowing up or anything.

I heard him speak. It just acknowledging it with an "I will walk" i.e. I will take my ball and go home spiel. I mean come on! How many of the 29 other NHL Coaches do you think would threaten to "walk away" the next time a cell phone rings during a press conference?

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri

It's a warning. Very similar to the "warning" I received about meeting etiquette at my company. By warning it is a list of meeting dos and don'ts. Cell phone use, trying to multi-task etc. That is the warning and if you happen to be the guy who forgets to turn off the phone in a meeting with upper management and certainly if you do it more than once you are on the list as the guy who can't understand simple instructions.

Personally, I believe it such a lack of professionalism that it should be treated in a firm manner and it was. I don't believe it was hostile either. He stopped mid sentence said it wasn't acceptable and if it happens he'll be done and then continued on. It's a simple thing. My superiors don't put up with it in meetings and I don't put up with it. I have in fact asked people to leave the meeting if their damn phone rings or buzzes or if they check it. It's typically a half hour or hour out of your day and to accomplish what need sot be accomplished means concentrating on the task at hand (I'm not a believer in putting in buffer space for a meeting to gossip etc. Show up on time, concentrate on the task and end on time.)

So again good for Torts it was handled the way it should be handled. You don't have your phone making noise while in a meeting. What makes this even worse is this was a camera man who has zero reason to have a phone on.

Last edited:

lush

@jasonlush
Sep 9, 2008
Vancouver
You know, since Tortorella has been hired I'm finding myself reading the sports section of the Province less and less. The media wants a side show so badly, it's all hands on deck every time he says something. Does he not say hockey-related things worth reporting on?

It's not just the Province, I'd go as far as to say it's pretty much the entire media

The best part is I didn't hear a single one of them (not that I've heard read everything) even consider to mention it's rude to have your phone on and that society now has a problem with it, which I am fully on board with. They've all missed it I think. Instead they're just rubbing their hands like giddy schoolchildren as this wild ride unfolds with Torts about to explode, and I predict now it will probably become a self fulfilling prophecy these guys create

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
I heard him speak. It just acknowledging it with an "I will walk" i.e. I will take my ball and go home spiel. I mean come on! How many of the 29 other NHL Coaches do you think would threaten to "walk away" the next time a cell phone rings during a press conference?

I'm not sure of the exact number but I think you'd be surprised.

A quick Google search shows UCLA coach Jim Mora going off on a reporter for using his cellphone during a presser and Rick Pitino actually answering a reporters cellphone during one of his pressers. And I'm sure there are more.

It seems like you just don't like the way the message was delivered by Torts because it wasn't polite. Well, guess what...neither is having your cellphone go off during a coaches press conference.

Get over yourself. Come back to the boards when you're finished with your tea and crumpets.

:laugh:

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
It's a warning. Very similar to the "warning" I received about meeting etiquette at my company. By warning it is a list of meeting dos and don'ts. Cell phone use, trying to multi-task etc. That is the warning and if you happen to be the guy who forgets to turn off the phone in a meeting with upper management and certainly if you do it more than once you are on the list as the guy who can't understand simple instructions.

Personally, I believe it such a lack of professionalism that it should be treated in a firm manner and it was. I don't believe it was hostile either. He stopped mid sentence said it wasn't acceptable and if it happens he'll be done and then continued on. It's a simple thing. My superiors don't put up with it in meetings and I don't put up with it. I have in fact asked people to leave the meeting if their damn phone rings or buzzes or if they check it. It's typically a half hour or hour out of your day and to accomplish what need sot be accomplished means concentrating on the task at hand (I'm not a believer in putting in buffer space for a meeting to gossip etc. Show up on time, concentrate on the task and end on time.)

So again good for Torts it was handled the way it should be handled. You don't have your phone making noise while in a meeting. What makes this even worse is this was a camera man who has zero reason to have a phone on.

Yes, it's rude to let your cell phone ring during a meeting. We all know this. It's been the proper etiquette since cell phones went mainstream in the 90s.

This is not a work place meeting at your company however and Torterella is not anyone's superior in that room. Ultimately he is there on behalf of the Canucks to promote their product and he needs to remember that. He can not dictate or control the media.

Yes the cell phone was rude, but this is a pointless battle that Tortorella can not win. Torts achieved nothing positive by acting like a prima donna and threatening to walk. If anything he just invited the media to egg him on and push his buttons.

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
Yes, it's rude to let your cell phone ring during a meeting. We all know this. It's been the proper etiquette since cell phones went mainstream in the 90s.

This is not a work place meeting at your company however and Torterella is not anyone's superior in that room. Ultimately he is there on behalf of the Canucks to promote their product and he needs to remember that. He can not dictate or control the media.

Yes the cell phone was rude, but this is a pointless battle that Tortorella can not win. Torts achieved nothing positive by acting like a prima donna and threatening to walk. If anything he just invited the media to egg him on and push his buttons.

Achieved nothing positive?

I'm willing to bet every person who walks in that room from now on will be sure their cellphones are off. And those who forget to turn it off will be fined with a charitable donation.

Seriously, since this story is gaining so much traction, the PR guys need to run with it and say anyone caught with a buzzing cellphone during a presser must make a donation to the Canucks for Kids fund (or the like).

Done.

Betamax*

Oh please. Look at how the "warning" was delivered. It was delivered in a similar *rude* manner, to show up the Camera operator that forgot to turn his phone to silent or vibrate.

Furthermore, the Canucks are not the employers of the media that cover them. They of course, moving forward, can have specific rules where they can state any media member who attend a Torts conference would be subject to a "lifetime ban" if their cell phone turns on during a press conference.

But that would be "Cutting off the nose to spite the face."

Personally, I believe it such a lack of professionalism that it should be treated in a firm manner and it was. I don't believe it was hostile either. He stopped mid sentence said it wasn't acceptable and if it happens he'll be done and then continued on.

Threatening to take his "ball and walk out." Oh please. That's like a College Professor in the middle of a lecture "threatening" to walk out if he hears a "cell phone" ring during mid-sentence. Seriously. Would that be professional and fair to the rest of the students?

It's a simple thing. My superiors don't put up with it in meetings and I don't put up with it. I have in fact asked people to leave the meeting if their damn phone rings or buzzes or if they check it. It's typically a half hour or hour out of your day and to accomplish what need sot be accomplished means concentrating on the task at hand (I'm not a believer in putting in buffer space for a meeting to gossip etc. Show up on time, concentrate on the task and end on time.)

Yeah, but the difference here is that you aren't threatening to walk away from the meeting. If he said, next time a phone goes off, that person please excuse themselves from the the PC.

Sometimes people forget to turn their phone from regular ring to silence in certain settings. I guess you haven't made that "mistake" in your life, eh?

Last edited by a moderator:

Betamax*

Agree with you not 100 but 110 percent on your commentary!

Now the door is open ... and the seeds/idea has been planted whereby perhaps in the future, a "prankster" ... you know something like those guys that seek publicity and pie celebs in the face etc.. somehow sneaks into a future Torts' Post Game Press Conference and deliberately triggers his cell phone ringer ... especially if it occurs after a tough game for the team.

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
Agree with you not 100 but 110 percent on your commentary!

Now the door is open ... and the seeds/idea has been planted whereby perhaps in the future, a "prankster" ... you know something like those guys that seek publicity and pie celebs in the face etc.. somehow sneaks into a future Torts' Post Game Press Conference and deliberately triggers his cell phone ringer ... especially if it occurs after a tough game for the team.

so let's create the scenario...

torts is at the podium talking and a cellphone goes off. he looks out into the assembled media, shakes his head and then walks off.

end prank.

when should i laugh?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad