Not open for further replies.

jvirk

Oct 31, 2013
Dubas and Keefe would be a nice combo

Otherwise i'm also in favor of: Maclean and Dineen

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
my unrealistic choice : Dale Hunter . Perennial powerhouse in London, did a decent job with the Caps before resigning. Has said would never leave London though.

Beyond that I just want a quality coach who doesn't favor garbage vets over skilled youngsters. That's the problem with a guy like Bylsma. He was a trash NHL player and had a vendetta against the hot shot young stud. Would prefer a GM first, but I would not be surprised if Pegula had something relevant in terms of the search to say tomorrow morning.

eanyills

Aug 7, 2015
Chicago wouldn't fire Quenneville, would they?

I think Q is safe but if Chicago doesn't want that window closing they're going to have to make some moves to free up some cap space. They won't be dealing from a position of strength either, so it'll be interesting to see what they do.

I haven't looked at their salary cap roster but I wonder how far they'd be willing to go...

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
3 names that have been mentioned I could see here. Dineen, Housley and Boughner. All 3 have ties to the Sabres, all 3 have been candidates for other head coaching vacancies. Obviously Dineen has been a NHL HC before. Of the 3, I like Boughner the best, I've been a big fan of his all the way back when he was coaching Windsor.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
I can't believe Dreger is floating Eakins as a coach. I heard him say that on WGR this morning and almost spit my coffee out.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
I am sure the Kevin Dineen and MacIver duo is gaining traction.

Anyone interested in starting a coaching poll? I don't know enough to make a list of who are the best candidates. If I had to say my money is on Either Quinn or Dineen and I would lean towards Quinn.

Last edited:

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I want Housley. I think he's seasoned enough as an assistant and look how he has that Preds D playing, even Irwin & Weber look more than capable. Had a hand in developing Ekholm & Ellis and surely he's learned a few things from Trotz & Lavi.

Having coached elite USA kids I dont think he'd stifle them and would provide a good balance as a players coach b/t vets/youth.

Dineen would be 2nd choice. I want guys who have been through NHL battles, I dont want our version of the Oilers & Eakins.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Well our owners seem pretty good at hiring incompetents, so don't count me in the excited group for what this off season will look like.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
I can't believe Dreger is floating Eakins as a coach. I heard him say that on WGR this morning and almost spit my coffee out.

My favorite part was Dreger claiming that Dave Nonis would be a great candidate because he knows the area from his time with the Leafs. I'm sure it has nothing to do with Nonis being his brother in law and his inside source for everything.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Anyone have insight on the top AHL coaches?

Clark Donatelli-BU guy. Coaches Scranton Penguins who are top in the league with what I don't think is an incredible roster, but I don't really follow the AHL other than Rochester.

Todd Nelson: Played a year for the Amerks. Only season missing the playoffs as a head coach was after replacing eakins and mctavish who went 7-22-7, while he went 17-22-7.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
Eakins' time in Edmonton might qualify as the worst coaching job I've seen in the NHL in my fanhood, which started in 2005.

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
new name just popped up: Guy Gadowsky from Penn State. Could be meaningless, just fabricated because of the association. But supposedly he's been contacted.

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
If they hire a coach before a GM....

:facepalm:

Yeah, i can't imagine it's true. Or if it's true, i can't imagine it's serious. After the hell Rolston caught for being from college i can't image it T-pegs would be ready to go that route again so soon.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
How many first time rookie coaches have been successful with substantial time spent as an assistant? Seems like there's been all more failures then success stories.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad