Confirmed with Link: Coach Hartsburg Retires (will still scout for CBJ)

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Good for him. He has had a long career and I can see wanting a break from the grind.

That said, this seems odd, given that it appears to have caught the head coach by surprise?

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com...04/12/savard-surgery-fixes-injured-ankle.html

Coach John Tortorella said he expected his assistants — associate coach Craig Hartsburg and assistant Brad Larsen — to return next season.
“I’ve learned so much from both of them,†Tortorella said. “I think those guys have both done a great job for the organization.â€

Or maybe they just hadn't had their own meetings yet?

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
He's a good guy, had a nice long career, nobody deserves the misery of the CBJ, if he was a Chicago assistant, he would say screw the grandkids.

That being said, I think it's a good thing for Torts to get one of "his" guys in here and change the culture a bit, you can't be one of the worst teams and not make changes and that includes coaches.

Wish the coach well though, always a class act.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I will miss his enthusiastic responses to Dave Metzold. :laugh:

Anyway good luck to him.

Hope we get a really good replacement.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I just think Torts didn't want to make the announcement. That is news best delivered by the person himself. Just my thought.

You're probably right and I feel a little silly for suggesting it's weird when there are so many reasonable explanations. My initial reaction was the timing was jarring - but that's probably coincidental.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
He's a good guy, had a nice long career, nobody deserves the misery of the CBJ, if he was a Chicago assistant, he would say screw the grandkids.

That being said, I think it's a good thing for Torts to get one of "his" guys in here and change the culture a bit, you can't be one of the worst teams and not make changes and that includes coaches.

Wish the coach well though, always a class act.

Since he would already have like 3 cups if that was the case, that would be even more of a push to retire, no? This has nothing to do with us. Jeez.

The return of Dan Hinote behind the bench?

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I just think Torts didn't want to make the announcement. That is news best delivered by the person himself. Just my thought.

Makes sense for sure, although I wouldnt be shocked if this was a suggested move. We have a glut of young defenseman, and its important thay are developed the right way. Glad to hear it, and hope he enjoys retirement.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Since he would already have like 3 cups if that was the case, that would be even more of a push to retire, no? This has nothing to do with us. Jeez.

Yeah, jeez, I'm sure it's a pleasure coaching the worst team in the league, year in and year out, I'm sure that isn't tiring or send you to retirement early or anything...

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

Wouldn't a defenseman make more sense? Or at least a guy with lots of experience coaching D?

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
Yeah, jeez, I'm sure it's a pleasure coaching the worst team in the league, year in and year out, I'm sure that isn't tiring or send you to retirement early or anything...
He should be so lucky as to even still have a job with the team if it's one of the worst in the league year in and year out. It's almost like the on ice product is a result of his work.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Yeah. Coaching is a chore. Sucking just makes coaches hungrier. Having one of the 90+ coaching gigs in the NHL is an honor and privilege, not a right. This has absolutely nothing to do with the team's inability to win. My god.

Johnny Jacket

Jun 17, 2014
Makes sense for sure, although I wouldnt be shocked if this was a suggested move. We have a glut of young defenseman, and its important thay are developed the right way. Glad to hear it, and hope he enjoys retirement.

Is Dave King available.

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
What about LE Monsters coach? By all reports he has been a great coach in the A.

Would be a nice reward for his efforts.

I'd expect Nolan Pratt (assistant coach and former NHL dman) to get a call before Bednar. I'd prefer keeping the head guy in charge of developing the kids (instead of constantly changing coaches in the AHL) and pull one of his assistants, if we're looking in house.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
I'd expect Nolan Pratt (assistant coach and former NHL dman) to get a call before Bednar. I'd prefer keeping the head guy in charge of developing the kids (instead of constantly changing coaches in the AHL) and pull one of his assistants, if we're looking in house.

But is that fair to Bednar? It would seem a natural progression:

AHL head coach --------> NHL assistant coach ---------> NHL head coach.

I can see maybe now is not his time, but should he continue to be successful, some NHL team will eventually give him a look.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad