Speculation: Coach Green’s next contract

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
what is Green going to get for his next contract? He’s currently near the bottom for pay at 1 million per. Top guys are getting 5. Is Green somewhere in the middle - 2.5 times three years?

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Probably gets at least what Dan Quinn makes, 2.5m. But I think Aquilini is being tight with money so who knows.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think he’ll get a 3 year extension. He should push for it but then again management with no revenue coming in and knowing that revenues will take a hit probably not interested in being on the hook for a terminated coach like they were with Torts and Gillis as GM. Green has a year left so I would think the Canucks would ideally like 2 year extension but time will tell.

Reactions: mossey3535

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
there is a better then 50% chance he ends up leaving. I can easily see behind the bench of the Anaheim Ducks in the 2021 /2022 season - not sure what type of money he is after . But the Canucks have never paid more the $2 million for a coach ( Torts) and he won a Stanley Cup. Trent Cull could easily be your Vancouver Canucks head coach soon

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
Which would set up very nicely for John Weisbrouds buddy - Troy Ward to take over in Utica

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
If we lose Green because his contract demands are unreasonable then I'm fine with that. I think it would be bad optics if we're haggling over a 3 year term vs 2 year term or $1M.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I doubt Canucks re-sign him before the end of next season. With using Covid as an excuse I believe Canucks will see how the team plays under him next year and see if he's even the guy moving forward. Until fans are allowed back I don't think too many owners are ready to spend too much money.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I doubt Canucks re-sign him before the end of next season. With using Covid as an excuse I believe Canucks will see how the team plays under him next year and see if he's even the guy moving forward. Until fans are allowed back I don't think too many owners are ready to spend too much money.
They got burned by the Torts and Gillis contracts for over $12 million. Got a bit of a reprieve when Torts signed with CBJ but had to pay the entirety of Gillis contract.

Reactions: 82Ninety42011

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If nothing happens with Green's contract before the start of the season...and the Canucks were to stumble out of the gate and fall behind the rest of the teams in the COVID Canadian division, look out. I could easily see the hammer coming down at the 15-game mark in a shortened season.

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
I’m not overly worried about green. The Canucks’ window isn’t even open so it’s not like it matters what happens the next couple of years, and I hardly consider green some kinda generational coach we absolutely must hang on to.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
"Well boys, you are up 4 scores here. I think you have won, so conserve the energy in that final period."
Bundy never did say whether his team won the game when he scored 4 touchdowns in one game for Polk High...

Trivia: Ed O’Neill (Bundy) actually tried out for the Pittsburgh Steelers! Rookie season for Chuck Noll as head coach:

Reactions: 82Ninety42011

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Bundy never did say whether his team won the game when he scored 4 touchdowns in one game for Polk High...

Trivia: Ed O’Neill (Bundy) actually tried out for the Pittsburgh Steelers! Rookie season for Chuck Noll as head coach:

He also hated Marcy Darcy in real life and that ultimately led to the end of married with children.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If nothing happens with Green's contract before the start of the season...and the Canucks were to stumble out of the gate and fall behind the rest of the teams in the COVID Canadian division, look out. I could easily see the hammer coming down at the 15-game mark in a shortened season.
Possible. Just a complete 180 turn given how ownership signed off on those terrible front loaded contracts for their veteran free agent signings. And would be seen penny pinching now. Get Covid, but that's also why you don't spend like a drunken sailor.
When Loui is setup to get paid $31 million for 4 years of play only to try to move him after his SB, seems like such a cheap move to not extend the coach in comparison.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
If they don't re-sign him prior to the season starting or even pre season, hello to the talking point of every media outlet in the market.

Green and Benning better start preparing their answers now because they're going to be asked about it at every opportunity.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If they don't re-sign him prior to the season starting or even pre season, hello to the talking point of every media outlet in the market.

Green and Benning better start preparing their answers now because they're going to be asked about it at every opportunity.
And any GM that cares about their job isn’t going to throw the owner under the bus even if it is an ownership decision not to extend him now.

hookshott

Dec 13, 2016
And any GM that cares about their job isn’t going to throw the owner under the bus even if it is an ownership decision not to extend him now.
Green is not signed to an extension because ownership has told Benning not to. They wish to see how this shortened season turns out as a result of the lack of the possibility of quality signings due to the cap hell Benning has put the club in. If they do not perform well, Benning will be gone at the end of the season and a new GM oftentimes likes to bring in their own coach, or, at the very least, be happy with the coach in place at that time. Saddling a new GM with a coach on a 3 year contract is certainly not a desirable use of funds and since the team is not making anywhere near the amount of $ Aquilini would like, it is likely he is implementing measures such as this.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
New coach please.
What are you expecting Exactly?

Travis Green has improved with every season he has coaches, and Out-coaches the Blues in the playoffs.
He absolutely deserves a few more years, Canucks are coming off a massively successful Season.
Not to mention, the Players seem to respect him from reports, and around the league people like him.

He makes mistakes, as do all Coaches, but the guy lets our star players be creative, unlike people like Hitchcock or Tippett who kill creativity.

We should be thankful

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad