Clutterbuck the new Steve Webb?

BKIsles

Jan 22, 2013
I think that was every hit in Steve Webbs career. Yea he threw great hits(which he would probably have multiple suspenions for now) but he brought absolutely nothing else to the table.

Literally less than zero. He couldn't even play a regular shift he was such a liability out there.

So true, but we had lots of players that era that had no business being on the ice, at least Webb tried to give you your money's worth for showing up to the Coliseum. 18 points in 321 games says it all though. Unbelievable.

Seriously good guy off the ice though, met him in '97 when I was a kid at some random 7-Eleven opening. Spent quite some time talking Isles hockey, meant a lot to a 10 year old me. I'll never forget, Webb got in a fight the night before and he had a huge black eye. My Mother somehow got a small bag of ice for his eye, so embarrassing! Good times though!!

Reactions: Quicklime

BossyMVP

Die SABRES die
Jun 27, 2011
Long Island
Webb was like RUDY except with less skill. I remember he would throw a hit and then be out for 2 weeks. He had heart but like someone said, he left himself out of position so much of the time just to throw the hit. We would kill Martin and Buck if they did that now.

DarkHorse2

Feb 27, 2002
I like how in that highlight reel they looped back to show the same hits over again and padded it out with the Cairns beatdown.

He was one seriously dirty hitter.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
That's the thing, in his day, those were clean hits. Today, you would be not be able to do what he does. But in his day, he was a wrecking ball on skates. Not much of a fighter I recall, but a pure momentum changer player.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I know this is an old thread but here goes anyway.

Why do we need another Steve Webb?

Besides, Cal Clutterbuck is more talented in his broken down condition than Steve Webb ever was.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Clutterbuck is a legitimate, talented NHL player. Steve Webb was a fringe AHLer and one of the least talented players to ever wear an Islanders sweater.
Disagree. Clutterbuck has more skill clearly, but hitting is also a talent and Steve Webb is one of the best open ice hitters I have ever seen in 3 decades as a hockey fan. Steve Webb changed the momentum of big playoff/rivalry games with the team. There are obviously a ton of players who brought less to the table than Webb in the mostly sad history of the Isles.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Disagree. Clutterbuck has more skill clearly, but hitting is also a talent and Steve Webb is one of the best open ice hitters I have ever seen in 3 decades as a hockey fan. Steve Webb changed the momentum of big playoff/rivalry games with the team. There are obviously a ton of players who brought less to the table than Webb in the mostly sad history of the Isles.
I'm gonna ponder my response to this for about 5 years or so...

It'll be worth the wait though, I promise.

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Holy thread necro, Batman.
Now that's a bit politically incorrect in the era of COVID.

But so is this..
41149.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad