Clutterbuck the new Steve Webb?

sebsisles

Apr 25, 2013
Long Island
steve webb was able to turn the game around and get the isles momentum with one big hit, i think its huge looking forward to the playoffs to have a guy like this. think back to the isles and maple leaf series and how his hit on darcy tucker got everyone going

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
If that's the criteria your using to draw a similarity, then I guess so. By anything other than that, he is nothing like Steve Webb, whose career totals were 5 Goals and 18 Assists.

Webb was a straight up enforcer who would drop the gloves with anyone. I see Clutterbuck as more of an energy player who can chip in offensively.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Clutterbuck is a legitimate, talented NHL player. Steve Webb was a fringe AHLer and one of the least talented players to ever wear an Islanders sweater.

sebsisles

Apr 25, 2013
Long Island
clutterbuck is way more talented, I'm coming from an energy standpoint. a player like him can go a long way for a playoff team

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
I wouldn't consider Webb an enforcer. But he certainly doesn't have half the offensive tools that stache has.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Clutterbuck is a legit NHLer and serves a vital role on this team (along with the rest of his line). Webb? I liked him for his energy/effort....but that's all he really offered.

Reactions: Quicklime

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
If that's the criteria your using to draw a similarity, then I guess so. By anything other than that, he is nothing like Steve Webb, whose career totals were 5 Goals and 18 Assists.

Webb was a straight up enforcer who would drop the gloves with anyone. I see Clutterbuck as more of an energy player who can chip in offensively.

might want to check up on Webb's fight log... it was never his thing.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
might want to check up on Webb's fight log... it was never his thing.

He may not have came out on top, but he certainly dropped the gloves, against some heavyweights too. Clutterbuck is not that guy. Maybe enforcer implied he won the fights.... Fact is, they don't really parallel each other whether you consider Webb an agitator or enforcer

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
We've seen many shifts where Clutterbuck and Martin felt the need to turn up the energy and annihilate guys.

I'd really enjoy seeing that in the playoffs.

Sparksrus3

NYI - THE TEAM WITH NO ❤️
Jun 2, 2012

Without looking back. I remember Webb as a hustler, hitter like clutter.
However as a fighter I don't think there are as many fights as you suggest by saying he is an enforcer.
Also I would say he was more like Konopa as a fighter, meaning I can't really ever remember him winning one. Loved his effort though. Skated every shift like he might not get another at the NHL level.
For doshell- I think Mitch Fritz may have been our least talented of all time. But he did rag doll Laraque and knock out peters.

Last edited:

Wedregast

Mar 26, 2009

This.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Clutterbuck is a poor man's Claude Lemieux, not Steve Webb.

Clutter never fights....he comes close..but he never does. Just like Lemieux, but Claude scored a lot more.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
We had Claude Lemieux . For like 5 minutes ( thomas,Lemieux,Clark )

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
Clutterbuck is so underrated by some of you people it's absurd. He's a very valuable hockey player, not some guy that should occasionally be scratched and considered a fighter.

IMO teams win Cups with guys like Clutterbuck.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Without looking back. I remember Webb as a hustler, hitter like clutter.
However as a fighter I don't think there are as many fights as you suggest by saying he is an enforcer.
Also I would say he was more like Konopa as a fighter, meaning I can't really ever remember him winning one. Loved his effort though. Skated every shift like he might not get another at the NHL level.
For doshell- I think Mitch Fritz may have been our least talented of all time. But he did rag doll Laraque and knock out peters.

Didn't go back into the Steve Webb time capsule, I was a kid and from what I remember he fought alot, maybe it was a coincidence that when I got up on my dads shoulders Webb happened to land a punch or two. Ahh, the glory days (confirmation bias)

Smash255

Oct 22, 2003
Farmingdale
none.com
Clutterbuck rarely fights, Webb fought, but wasn't all that good at it. Both bring a bunch of energy, but Clutterbuck does it more. Webb I felt was effective at bringing energy and getting the crowd pumped when at home, however he didn't seem to bring the same energy on the road, Clutter does it at home and on the road. Also Clutterbuck has some offensive skills, Webb really didn't.

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.
The Human Punching Bag was the name given to Webb at the time I remember...
Cluster is way more valuable then Webb ever was...

BKIsles

Jan 22, 2013
Webb had a penchant for fighting, and mayhem early in his career. Towards the end he became a pretty good instigator, but was never an offensive player by any stretch of the imagination.

Clutterbuck, like Webb, is a good instigator, but that's about the only similarity. Much better offensive game from Clutter, he's not the psycho Webb was on the ice either, much more deliberate checker/instigator.

Gotta say though, wouldn't mind having Webb as our healthy scratch. Game 3 of the '02 playoffs, probably our best game in the last two decades, Webb answered the bell for us, best game of his career.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Unfortunately we just do not really see hits like this anymore:

True. Many of those would be charging or interference today. But notice how he put himself completely out of position for many of those hits? I was not a fan of that aspect of his game.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Unfortunately we just do not really see hits like this anymore:

I think that was every hit in Steve Webbs career. Yea he threw great hits(which he would probably have multiple suspenions for now) but he brought absolutely nothing else to the table.

Literally less than zero. He couldn't even play a regular shift he was such a liability out there.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Steve Webb 50 ish career NHL fights.
20 in his first season.
30ish total in the next 7 years
Not 1 of his career fights is on hockey fights.com
Went to YouTube . There are a bunch. He pretty much got slaughtered in every one.
However he did go for the BIG names. Just check it out.
From "Chief " to oliwa. And many in the middle. He lost em all . At least he was consistent .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->