Clutterbuck investigated for allegedly spitting on Daniel Sedin

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
I have severe contamination OCD. If this happened to me, I'd be ruined for a month. Clutterbuck's a joke, but the bigger joke is how the league treats the Sedins.

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
I really do wonder why the Sedins get so little respect around the league. They have been excellent top line players for the better part of a decade and remained classy and humble throughout. These are the kind of poster children the NHL needs, yet these kind of things seem to happen almost routinely with no repercussions.

i know some guys who are close to nhl circles ... a lot of these guys are of the jamie benn ilk ... they've done one thing their entire lives and many are still kids ... many simply have puerile minds, and have to be coached and trained thoroughly to appear professional. That's why so many interviews are such rote drivel ('just want to do my part to help the team, etc...")

Word I heard is that many NHLers think the sedins are freaks, and worse, like 12-YO boys, the whole 'gay/faggy' misogynist/homophobic refrains ... BUT that they are also all secretly in awe of their skills

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
i know some guys who are close to nhl circles ... a lot of these guys are of the jamie benn ilk ... they've done one thing their entire lives and many are still kids ... many simply have puerile minds, and have to be coached and trained thoroughly to appear professional. That's why so many interviews are such rote drivel ('just want to do my part to help the team, etc...")

I am not close to any NHLer at all but I would be profoundly unsurprised to hear this from a reliable source (no offense NYVanfan).

Timmer44

Mar 3, 2006
Van City
The funny thing is, Clutterbuck helps his team win, and his team plays a team the Canucks are fighting for a playoff spot. A fine works, but don't suspend him please.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011

Word I heard is that many NHLers think the sedins are freaks, and worse, like 12-YO boys, the whole 'gay/faggy' misogynist/homophobic refrains ... BUT that they are also all secretly in awe of their skills

It's like they've never met twins before. Jesus christ.

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
It's like they've never met twins before.

Or maybe they've only met these ones

mcpoyle.jpg

SergioMomesso

Mar 8, 2011
75% of the guys in every dressing room at every level of hockey are molded like Benn and Seguin. Everybody has a little bit of dressing room banter and trash talk inside of them. I could care less what Benn and Seguin said about the twins. People need to toughen up and not be so sensitive. I grew up being the only Asian kid playing hockey in our league and put up with a lot of nonsense. And I gave it right back to whoever beaked at me.

arsmaster*

75% of the guys in every dressing room at every level of hockey are molded like Benn and Seguin. Everybody has a little bit of dressing room banter and trash talk inside of them. I could care less what Benn and Seguin said about the twins. People need to toughen up and not be so sensitive. I grew up being the only Asian kid playing hockey in our league and put up with a lot of nonsense. And I gave it right back to whoever beaked at me.

Anybody ever hock a loogie in your face?

Getting chirped on the ice is a nothing issue, being spat at/on is assault anywhere else but a hockey rink.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010

'toughen up' talk is the mantra of the bully. There's a reason why we have a 'You Can Play' organization and that's because this kind of behavior is toxic. Stop apologizing for it.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Why do the Sedins get bullied, picked on and downright disrespected by everyone in the league? Seriously. Getting really sick and tired of this ****.

Have to say though, they gotta stand up for themselves when it happens. Luckily it seems like they're doing a lot more of that lately.

arsmaster*

Why do the Sedins get bullied, picked on and downright disrespected by everyone in the league? Seriously. Getting really sick and tired of this ****.

Have to say though, they gotta stand up for themselves when it happens. Luckily it seems like they're doing a lot more of that lately.

If they would have stood up for themselves 10 years ago they wouldn't continue to suffer this BS.

I mean I'm not condoning spitting, but I think there turn the other cheek/let others fight there battles has allowed for this lack of respect from opposing players and officials to permeate.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

They don't stand up for themselves, and really just aren't as respected around the league as people would like to think.

Tinhorn1

Aug 7, 2007
If they would have stood up for themselves 10 years ago they wouldn't continue to suffer this BS.

I mean I'm not condoning spitting, but I think there turn the other cheek/let others fight there battles has allowed for this lack of respect from opposing players and officials to permeate.

So in other words NHL players and officials either don't recognize or don't respect stoicism. NA hockey culture is sure hard to watch/defend sometimes, especially with my young son sitting beside me.

Also, as a point of order, I don't think the Sedins have ever expected anyone else to fight their battles for them. If they have, their teammates sure haven't answered the bell.

Rex Banner

Custom User Title
Aug 22, 2013
In my dreams Daniel cross checks Marchand in the mouth after the second punch. Feels great.

a Fool

Emperor has no picks
Mar 14, 2014
Seriously?

Spitting on someone is probably the most disrespectful think you can do to another human being.

If there is no disciplinary action, it just tells everyone you can spit on people with no reprecussions.

I mean you'd get sent home from elementary school for doing it, but you can't get suspended from your million dollar job where you should be held to the highest of standards and are public figures. Strange stance.

I think it's disgusting personally, but it's not like an intent to injure. This is the kind of issue that will be settled next season when we play NYI. It's like the water bottle squirting incident last year. Really petty and disrespectful but worth a fine at most.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Seriously?

Spitting on someone is probably the most disrespectful think you can do to another human being.

If there is no disciplinary action, it just tells everyone you can spit on people with no reprecussions.

I mean you'd get sent home from elementary school for doing it, but you can't get suspended from your million dollar job where you should be held to the highest of standards and are public figures. Strange stance.

Well, you would get sent home from elementary school if you got into a fistfight as well.

a Fool

Emperor has no picks
Mar 14, 2014
The other issue for me is where he spit at him. I'm assuming it was at his jersey or skates or something. If it was right in his face then IDK what to say. Inexcusable if that's the case. Got me thinking about this :laugh:

wholesickcrew

May 7, 2010
Toronto
They don't stand up for themselves, and really just aren't as respected around the league as people would like to think.

Bold: depends on what you qualify as standing up for themselves. Standing up doesn't necessarily mean hitting back (which they do sometimes), and they often let their play do the talking.

Italics: This whole thread is about how people don't think they're respected. We're reminded of that here every day...

wholesickcrew

May 7, 2010
Toronto
'toughen up' talk is the mantra of the bully. There's a reason why we have a 'You Can Play' organization and that's because this kind of behavior is toxic. Stop apologizing for it.

This.

And just because one person made it through bullying (and good for you--and obviously the Sedins have as well), it doesn't mean everyone does. This is survivorship bias.

Win One Before I Die

Cautious Optimism
Jul 31, 2007
The Sedins have been a bit more aggressive this year, especially Daniel. I wonder if Daniel said something to him and it was so unexpected his caveman brain's only reaction was to spit at him LOL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad