"Clutchiest" player playing today (difference in playoff PPG to regular season PPG ratio)?

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
In terms of the gap between playoff PPG to regular season PPG? Bigger sample size the better.

Couture always stood out as clutch for me lately. Over the last the last four seasons:

Playoffs:
19 so far - Pts 13 - GP 12
18 - Pts 12, GP 10
17 - Pts 3, GP 6
16 - Pts 30, GP 24

Total Points - 58
Total GP: 52
Avg PPG: 1.12

Regular Season:
18-19 - Pts 70 - GP 81
17-18 - Pts 61 - GP 78
16-17 - Pts 52 - GP 73
15-16 - Pts 36 - GP 52

Total Points: 219
Total GP: 284
Avg PPG: 0.77

1.12 - 0.77 = +0.35 difference in points per game for playoffs.

Last edited:

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I'm not sure if it still holds true, but Joel Ward stood out as one of those freaks that would always outperform his RS production in the playoffs for a long while.

At first it was like 'this is just a sample size thing that will even out over time' and after several playoff runs it was like 'ok, guess not'.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Yeah, Couture looked like dog shit this regular season but when the playoffs come around he always wakes up in time. Ultra competitive guy, and it’s not his first rodeo.

Reactions: fasterthanlight

FootKnight

This ****ing team
May 28, 2007
Williams.
Williams' overall playoff numbers are almost exactly the same as his regular season numbers (taken from NHL.com):
Regular Season: .25 GPG and .63 PPG
Playoffs: .26 GPG and .66 PPG

One thing that has always been impressive about Williams is his incredible consistency, you can expect around 20 goals and 50 points every year. He does it across teams and when he was on the Kings he was the guy who got moved around the lines to get other people producing, so it doesn't even seem to matter where in the lineup he plays.

The big difference is specifically in elimination games (taken from here, an article from before game 6 against the Caps) and game 7s:
Elimination Games: .65 GPG and 1.17 PPG
Game 7: .78 GPG and 1.67 PPG

Last edited:

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
.89 Regular season PPG for Pastrnak

1.17 PPG in the playoffs.

Although probably not the best example as Pasta is more like a 1+ PPG player these days.

HF007

Sep 9, 2008
Giroux used to be, except his last two playoffs have been trash

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012
Person A)
regular season: 0.2 PPG
playoffs: 0.5 PPG

Person B)
regular season: 0.7 PPG
playoffs: 0.7 PPG

Is A now more clutch than B, because he raises his game in the playoffs?
I'd still take B.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
Pastrnak is +0.28 in playoffs. Partially because he wasn't scoring as much as a teenager in the NHL and the Bruins didn't make the playoffs in his first two seasons.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
This might come across as pedantic (but hey it's a message board so where else...) But I've never really thought this is a good way to measure clutchness and am not even sure it is clutchness.. It may be the best possible way to try but it's still not very good. Sometimes a player is clutch in a moment not necessarily in terms of overall elevated performance. Coach puts 5 guys on the ice and says get me that tying goal late in the third, one of them does. Sure he might have had 0 points in the prior 4 games but he got the most important goal of the series to date.

Which is more clutch? The guy who got the big goal but did not much else or the one who had .15 more ppg than normal?

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Seems like a really, really poor way to describe "Clutchness"... Also convenient you chose to use the last 4 years for Couture, leaving out the years where he wasn't particularly good in the playoffs and the years where he posted his best regular seasons PPG numbers.

Anyway, for arguments sake Mackinnons career PPG in 0.87 to this point, and his career playoff PPG is now at 1.26. Good for a 0.39 PPG difference. I guess he's the more clutch one really.

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012
We're not asking who is the better player, we are asking who picks their game up from the regular season to the playoffs.

Yeah, I got that. Doesn't make any sense though.
You got 2 equally performing players in the playoffs, but the one who doesn't show up during the regular season is more clutch?

This is like saying Gretzky wasn't a better goal scorer than Bossy, because he was a complete player.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
He ain't called clutchure for nothing. He's also one of the best road scorers.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
This might come across as pedantic (but hey it's a message board so where else...) But I've never really thought this is a good way to measure clutchness and am not even sure it is clutchness.. It may be the best possible way to try but it's still not very good. Sometimes a player is clutch in a moment not necessarily in terms of overall elevated performance. Coach puts 5 guys on the ice and says get me that tying goal late in the third, one of them does. Sure he might have had 0 points in the prior 4 games but he got the most important goal of the series to date.

Which is more clutch? The guy who got the big goal but did not much else or the one who had .15 more ppg than normal?

I agree. Thread title needs to be changed to 'Best playoff performers' for this criteria to really work.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Seems like a really, really poor way to describe "Clutchness"... Also convenient you chose to use the last 4 years for Couture, leaving out the years where he wasn't particularly good in the playoffs and the years where he posted his best regular seasons PPG numbers.

Anyway, for arguments sake Mackinnons career PPG in 0.87 to this point, and his career playoff PPG is now at 1.26. Good for a 0.39 PPG difference. I guess he's the more clutch one really.

The last four years were used because the Sharks didn’t make the playoffs five years ago. There’s no “agenda”.

The Avs have failed to make the playoffs in Mackinnon’s down years. His PPG in the regular season in years the Avs have managed to make the playoffs is 1.08, which includes his rookie season where he scored just 63 points. If anyone’s manipulating data...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad