Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
1685484184035.gif

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
He’s a solid AHL defenseman (will be top 4 there next season) and their future captain. Zero offense to his game, but he’s a solid pro for the AHL level.
I feel like he's surprisingly a halfway decent pick for being a 6th rounder. Won't be an NHL guy but still some organizational depth out of that pick which is more than we can say for most of our other picks lmao.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Our defense played pretty well considering our goaltending wasnt amazing.

Top 5 in goals against in the league with only okay goaltending, something must be good defensively.

Glad to have him around. Next Andreas Englund?

Reactions: Reparlana

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
He’s a solid AHL defenseman (will be top 4 there next season) and their future captain. Zero offense to his game, but he’s a solid pro for the AHL level.
I don't doubt any of that.

I guess in my mind, I feel like the guys in the AHL should fall into one of 2 categories :

1) Young player who needs playing time to learn the pro game
or
2) Slightly older, more experienced player that CAN contribute at the NHL level

At age 25, I don't think Clurman is either of those things.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I don't doubt any of that.

I guess in my mind, I feel like the guys in the AHL should fall into one of 2 categories :

1) Young player who needs playing time to learn the pro game
or
2) Slightly older, more experienced player that CAN contribute at the NHL level

At age 25, I don't think Clurman is either of those things.
I feel like if the AHL team was a combo of those two, it'd be unstoppable lol

AvsFan2123

Jan 21, 2014
Illinois
Some people have basically said how I feel. We might’ve drafted somebody outside the top 10 who is actually contributing to the organization and has shown some signs of development. Usually our guys on ELCs get tossed to the side after they’re done cuz we realized we screwed up lol. Pleasantly surprised he’s back and I have no issue with it.

Reactions: NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
Some people have basically said how I feel. We might’ve drafted somebody outside the top 10 who is actually contributing to the organization and has shown some signs of development. Usually our guys on ELCs get tossed to the side after they’re done cuz we realized we screwed up lol. Pleasantly surprised he’s back and I have no issue with it.

Timmins, Kaut, Annunen, Ranta, Newhook, Helleson, Stienberg, Beaucage, Baron, Foudy, Olauson, Behrens, Buyalsky.

Aside from the gimmies with Byram and Makar that's the lot of the third rounders and higher since 2017.

Clurman ranks lower than I though in terms of value to the Avs.

He's arguably above Kaut, Ranta, Stienberg, Beaucage, and Buyalsky.

Damn 2019 hurts. A top 5 pick, another mid first rounder, a second rounder, two third rounders. That could have really set up a long window to compete.

Helleson fair enough they moved for a rental that ended up working. But whiffing on two third rounders and ending up with arguably a top 4 D a third line scoring winger isn't good enough.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
This isn't directed at @henchman21 only, but rather what does everyone think...

You're the GM of a contending NHL team. How many contracts do you allow to be spent on AHL pros? This isn't a new question about Clurman specifically but rather it's about the AHL team in general. What is the ideal number of players on two-way contracts? Is there such a thing as an ideal number of two-way contracts?

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004

You're the GM of a contending NHL team. How many contracts do you allow to be spent on AHL pros? This isn't a new question about Clurman specifically but rather it's about the AHL team in general. What is the ideal number of players on two-way contracts? Is there such a thing as an ideal number of two-way contracts?

It depends on how many prospects we have that needs AHL development time. I also think theres some limit to number of AHL vets so you can't stack it up.

I'd aim for at least three AHL forwards (a vet on the bottom six and two vets in the top six) and 2 AHL defenders on two way contracts.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

Goalies don’t count, so I’d have one there. Then from there you can have 5 Vet skaters (320+) and one near vet (260+) for 6 total above 260. I’d say 4 is probably where I’d target. Then go up or down based on the team’s makeup and how injuries have played out. Each ideal will be different though as the calculation is at the beginning of the season. Take Middleton for example... he has 248 high level games, so he's exempt for another year. Practically, he is a vet though. So with him, you basically get a free 'vet' spot. This would likely have me elevate the number to 5 as you'd have a bit more flexibility and a higher quality team... including getting a legit top end forward and defensemen in the league (like a Grimaldi/Tynan/ABB and Hicketts/Lajoie). That can help a lot of players settle in, especially with a weaker pool.

Now if you had a strong pool like say Buffalo or LA... I'd probably lean towards less vets and target only the top end guys or guys that are highly heralded leaders. Which if you look at what LA did last year, I find that to be pretty ideal. Tynan, Gaunce, Quine and Thompson were the main vets. Tynan is an AHL superstar... easy enough. Gaunce is one of the better AHL defensemen, but doesn't need a top PP role. Thompson is your former long-term NHLer who is a great leader and mentor (especially for guys shooting for bottom 6 roles). Quine has been a solid middle 6 AHL center for a long time and can play any role... also known as a high character player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad