Clune, Stalberg to Milwaukee

handtrick

Sep 18, 2004
Chattanooga, TN
This first move of the year gives us some insight into the poile/Lavy relationship as well as Lavy's focus.

Lavy is not concerned about making opponents "pay the price" to play in Smashville.
He is also not opposed to giving a young player a roster spot over a veteran and probably balked at the usual Poile request to "send the young guy down" to preserve assets and give the veteran his "due respect"
Refreshing

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
I'll come out and say it. Stalberg sucks. Lots of speed, no finish, not a good playmaker, not a physical player. Lots of speed yet no results.

I like these moves though. It sends a message to Jarnkrok and Stalberg. Hopefully some of the underachievers so far will have a fire lit under their butt.

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
Last season Stalberg played like a turd on ice. I would have been happy to see him moved or even bought out. This year however I was honestly happy with his play overall. I think the person said that DP is maybe looking to move him could have it right on. When Fisher comes back into the line-up Stalberg may be the one that gets waived and I am not sure someone will even pick him up.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
This first move of the year gives us some insight into the poile/Lavy relationship as well as Lavy's focus.

Lavy is not concerned about making opponents "pay the price" to play in Smashville.
He is also not opposed to giving a young player a roster spot over a veteran and probably balked at the usual Poile request to "send the young guy down" to preserve assets and give the veteran his "due respect"
Refreshing
Spot on.

refreshing indeed.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
the double move really makes sense if fisher is almost ready to be activated. which i hope is the case.

several things are possiblities with stalberg being temp assigned. it could well be that poile is simply shopping him now and this will give him a couple weeks to see if he can make a deal (most likely). it could also be that this is to give jarnkrok, beck, bourque their 'last shot' at proving themselves, and the senddown of stalberg is simply to allow him to get some scoring line work to see if he can refind his game for his last chance (possible).

it's probably lots of people's 'last chance' to prove themselves honestly, lol.

the one thing i hope is that this double move really means fisher is getting close.

but i agree with handtrick, it's a refreshing change.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
If he is really almost ready to come back, his recovery is pretty amazing.
But we only know that it was an achilles injury that required surgery, not how bad the injury was, correct? I mean if I break my arm, I can be back in 3 weeks or 6 months, depending on the severity of the injury. I'm guessing his injury could be the same way. A slight tear versus a complete tear?

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
But we only know that it was an achilles injury that required surgery, not how bad the injury was, correct? I mean if I break my arm, I can be back in 3 weeks or 6 months, depending on the severity of the injury. I'm guessing his injury could be the same way. A slight tear versus a complete tear?
The time table even at 4-6 months would fit a slight tear. There is no way he ruptured it as that would take a year and would have likely been the end for Fisher as he would probably have retired. I tore my Achilles tendon in high school while running and while it was only a slight tear I have never gone through anything more painful. If he is able to get back to playing within a couple weeks I would be very impressed. With that said I can't wait to see him in gold again.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
These moves point to everything Poile and Laviolette have said in the past, they are going to play the players they feel give the Preds the best chance to win on a nightly basis, regardless of whether they are vets, rooks, guys on big contracts, guys on one way deals, the best player will play.

And to echo a few sentiments, refreshing change.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
No offense to Clune or anything but I hope he doesn't play a second for Milwaukee. I really don't think he's better than any forward we have on the roster.

Nashville Transplant

Feb 28, 2013
Nash/LA
the headline of this thread is technically (at this point) incorrect. Clune has not been sent to Milwaukee (yet.) If he clears waivers, they have the option to send him to Milwaukee, but with Cullen in, and Stalberg down for the conditioning assignment, the team has the option to keep him with the big club if they so chose. Yes, it's all semantics, but for the purpose of being correct, Clune has not yet been assigned to the Ads.

And, there are a few teams kicking the tires. We'll know more in the morning.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
That's true, NT, but I think the title is fine since the intention is to send him to Milwaukee provided he clears.

jstreet

LETS GO PREDS
Jan 15, 2004
FL via Nashville
www.twitter.com
I agree that vs was useless last year but I also like what I've seen out of him. I've enjoyed watching him more than Beck anyway. There are plenty of people that aren't producing.

If he is being shopped as suggested, it makes sense to me. Otherwise it doesn't.

I Will Son

An Army of One
Feb 15, 2010
Nashville
I like Clune, but this is probably the right hockey move. I personally do not want him in the lineup, and I think even looking deeper, there are 5 guys in Milwaukee I would rather roster than Clune.

Agreed. He's just a pure Trotz player

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
so you can send a player down on "rehab" even if they aren't on IR?

I really can't see poile ready to dump stalberg for a bag of pucks, especially since he missed camp(again) and is just really getting up to speed in Lavys system

It would make more sense to send him down for a couple of weeks to try to get some confidence, while telling Beck and Bourque that they have two weeks to prove they belong with the big club.

But knowing me, they will announce Stalbergs trade right after I post this...

Nashville Transplant

Feb 28, 2013
Nash/LA
That's true, NT, but I think the title is fine since the intention is to send him to Milwaukee provided he clears.

that "clune" and "stalberg" are not capitalized, but Milwaukee is, bothers me too... but I'm curmudgeonly that way.

I also think Buffalo, Arizona, and even Edmonton could kick the tires on Clune...

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
so you can send a player down on "rehab" even if they aren't on IR?

I really can't see poile ready to dump stalberg for a bag of pucks, especially since he missed camp(again) and is just really getting up to speed in Lavys system

It would make more sense to send him down for a couple of weeks to try to get some confidence, while telling Beck and Bourque that they have two weeks to prove they belong with the big club.

But knowing me, they will announce Stalbergs trade right after I post this...

Doc I thought the same thing when I heard Stalberg was going down to re-hab. In the past I do not think one way players were allowed to be sent down if they had played after coming back from IR. I do not recall seeing this happen to a one way player coming off the IR playing a few games then being sent down is odd. Im betting 101 could give us insight he is knowledgeable about contract issues.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Doc I thought the same thing when I heard Stalberg was going down to re-hab. In the past I do not think one way players were allowed to be sent down if they had played after coming back from IR. I do not recall seeing this happen to a one way player coming off the IR playing a few games then being sent down is odd. Im betting 101 could give us insight he is knowledgeable about contract issues.

Was Halischuk on a 1 way or 2 way deal when he was sent down for conditioning his last year here? I don't recall him being injured, just they wanted to get him some confidence and it worked IIRC, he had 2 good games and he was called back up and played pretty good for a few games once he came back up.

Edit:

Looking at Capgeek, it looks like it might have been one way as his AHL and NHL salaries were the same that year (2012-13).

http://capgeek.com/player/795

Link to article where he was sent down: http://www.ontheforecheck.com/2013/3/7/4076298/matt-halischuk-milwaukee-admirals

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
we've used this multiple times in the past for non-injured but often scratched players, as long as the player consents you can basically do it;

13.8 Conditioning Loan. Unless a Player consents, he shall not be Loaned on a Conditioning Loan to a minor league club. Such Conditioning Loan shall not extend for more than fourteen (14) consecutive days. The Commissioner may take whatever steps he deems necessary to investigate the circumstances under which a Player is Loaned on a Conditioning Loan. If the Commissioner has reason to believe or determines that the Club has used the Conditioning Loan to evade the Re-Entry Waivers, or otherwise Circumvent any provision of this Agreement, he may take such disciplinary action against the Club, as he deems appropriate. The Player shall continue, during the period of such Conditioning Loan, to receive the same Paragraph 1 NHL Salary, and be entitled to the same benefits, that he would have received had he continued to play with the Club.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
we've used this multiple times in the past for non-injured but often scratched players, as long as the player consents you can basically do it;

13.8 Conditioning Loan. Unless a Player consents, he shall not be Loaned on a Conditioning Loan to a minor league club. Such Conditioning Loan shall not extend for more than fourteen (14) consecutive days. The Commissioner may take whatever steps he deems necessary to investigate the circumstances under which a Player is Loaned on a Conditioning Loan. If the Commissioner has reason to believe or determines that the Club has used the Conditioning Loan to evade the Re-Entry Waivers, or otherwise Circumvent any provision of this Agreement, he may take such disciplinary action against the Club, as he deems appropriate. The Player shall continue, during the period of such Conditioning Loan, to receive the same Paragraph 1 NHL Salary, and be entitled to the same benefits, that he would have received had he continued to play with the Club.

sounds like we could probably get away with it once or twice but if we sent Stalberg down for two weeks then sent Beck down for two weeks then Bourque down for two weeks it would probably get the commissioners attention that we were just trying to avoid the waiver wire while waiting for the inevitable injuries..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad