Club vs Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Major Might

Oct 18, 2013
I love being patriotic. I love Canada. But the Senators trump every other sporting allegiance I have.

That said, I'm cheering for Canada AINEC. Sweden has ONE current Sen. It's not like we were all vigorously cheering for the Czech's in the tournament because Michalek was on the team, so in the end, if we're talking strictly about allegiances (removing the 'EK is my fav player' argument), what's the difference? Would y'all be cheering for the Czech's vs Canada?

I remember when the Senators had 7 or 8 players in the Olympics on different teams (Chara, Alfredsson, Mezaros, Hossa, Gerber etc etc). I don't think everyone would be cheering against Canada because Andre Mezaros was playing Canada. This board just has a love of Sweden due to so many Swedes being part of the team in the recent past, and Sweden just seems like a cool neutral country to cheer for.

The blind love for Karlsson on this board gets too much sometime :laugh:

Couldn't have said this better myself. Go Canada Go!

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I know this strays slightly from the question, but I'd take a Sens Cup over a Canada Olympic Gold 10 times out of 10

That's probably because Canada Olympic Gold is far, far, far more frequent. If Canada were on a 103 year olympic gold drought, and the Sens had won 2 of the last 3 stanley cups, you might feel different.

As far as Sweden vs Canada, I'll be relatively happy either way. I'm not a big fan of many of the players for Team Canada, where as I really like quite a few of the Swedes, but I guess patriotism evens it out for me.

Both of them competing for gold is pretty much perfect for me.

LatteLarrys

LatteLarry's
Dec 27, 2013
The Ottawa Senators are my hockey team. The players who wear the crest are interchangeable so I could care less about what country they're from when they play for my team. I don't cheer for their countries because of what team they play for on their current contract.

That sums it up. Everyone is entitled to their personal preferences and that's cool. In my own personal opinion, I see things through your perspective. Playing for the NHL club is essentially, or at least first and foremost, a business contract - like you say, crests are interchangeable. I guess players are to a certain extent financially compensated for participating in Olympic hockey (like with sponsorships?), but the main reason players play is to represent their nation, and they're honored to do it. I mean, why not just spare yourself the pain, pressure, and injuries? Go on a family vacation? But anyway, I understand how other fans may feel differently and would rather root for their favorite athletes. In fact, it's because of Karlsson that I preferred a Canada-Sweden gold medal game match-up! I'm actually very elated to see my prediction come to fruition! I have lots of respect for Karlsson and therefore think competing against him in the gold medal game would be an absolute honor.

Go Team Canada

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
That sums it up. Everyone is entitled to their personal preferences and that's cool. In my own personal opinion, I see things through your perspective. Playing for the NHL club is essentially, or at least first and foremost, a business contract - like you say, crests are interchangeable. I guess players are to a certain extent financially compensated for participating in Olympic hockey (like with sponsorships?), but the main reason players play is to represent their nation, and they're honored to do it. I mean, why not just spare yourself the pain, pressure, and injuries? Go on a family vacation? But anyway, I understand how other fans may feel differently and would rather root for their favorite athletes. In fact, it's because of Karlsson that I preferred a Canada-Sweden gold medal game match-up! I'm actually very elated to see my prediction come to fruition! I have lots of respect for Karlsson and therefore think competing against him in the gold medal game would be an absolute honor.

Go Team Canada

Getting to represent your country benefits players in the NHL. I'd imagine it help their resume when looking for a contract or during salary negotiations.

Spinkis

Dec 26, 2011
hey how many crowns is a good living each year? serious question.

i had a friend from sweden he told me video games are 700 crowns.

I consider 25-30000 SEK/month(=19-23000 SEK after taxes) an ok salary for a low educated person.

For an engineer, doctor or other high educated person about 40-60000 SEK/month(= 30-40000 SEK after taxes) I would consider as good.

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
Getting to represent your country benefits players in the NHL. I'd imagine it help their resume when looking for a contract or during salary negotiations.

I agree that it's more than simply playing for your country. I disagree that it has any tangible difference in contract negotiations.

The major non-nationalistic reason players go is to win an Olympic Gold. Who the hell doesn't want an Olympic Gold? A handful may also be thinking in terms of HHoF optics. That's about all that these guys get out of it. A bit of patriotism, a chance at Olympic Gold, and some HHoF credentials.

Bushido

Sep 14, 2006
Canada and not even close. I like Karlsson but he just one member of the Sens. As long as he not injured or mentally damaged from the lost, cheering for Canada 100%.

GuidedRightly

Dec 3, 2013
Dubai
I don't get this is a debate. Canada all the way!

But I would like Karlsson to have a great game and please god not to get hurt.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Canada wins, hurray.
Canada loses, Karlsson gets a gold medal and we can use that in arguments about how he is a top defenseman, hurray.

Win win.

Major Might

Oct 18, 2013
Canada wins, hurray.
Canada loses, Karlsson gets a gold medal and we can use that in arguments about how he is a top defenseman, hurray.

Win win.

I thought team accomplishments were frowned upon on here when talking about individual skill

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
After listening to Forsberg and other Swedes whine about the refs incessantly (FOR A GAME THAT HASN'T HAPPENED YET), I truly hope they get 5 PPs, we get none and we still smoke them.

I always thought Swedes were pretty laid back and pragmatic bunch, guess not.

EssendonBombers

classless
Jan 4, 2011
Straya
After listening to Forsberg and other Swedes whine about the refs incessantly (FOR A GAME THAT HASN'T HAPPENED YET), I truly hope they get 5 PPs, we get none and we still smoke them.

I always thought Swedes were pretty laid back and pragmatic bunch, guess not.

I guess you trust the ref to be impartial, but can you imagine the Canadian uproar if a Swedish ref was given the job. Would be similar if not worse.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
If this was Sens winnning the Cup vs Canada winning Gold, I might change my vote, but I see no reason to cheer for Karlsson here...

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Forsberg is complaining? The guy that admitted to throwing a game so they could take on easier opponents for the rest of the tourney to win gold? That guy can go fly a kite.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
I guess you trust the ref to be impartial, but can you imagine the Canadian uproar if a Swedish ref was given the job. Would be similar if not worse.

Complaining loudly and frequently before the game is even played is only meant to influence the Canadian ref. Lets hope he's not influenced either way by the mind game the Swedes are playing on him. It reminds me a lot of Quinn back in his Toronto days.

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto
Alfredsson negates any allegiance to Karlsson so... Go Canada Go!

This is gonna be soooooo weird and uncanny seeing Karlsson making rushes up the ice for the "other" team! :amazed::amazed::amazed::amazed:

Then on Thursday were going to be cheering him on again when he and the Sens face Alfie and the rest of the Swedish Red Wings.

As much as I want Karlsson do well it's all about Canada tomorrow and TOMORROW as I stated earlier Karlsson and the Swedes are Enemy # 1 - EK can score ONE goal but that's it. I want OUR boys to lay the body on him hard all game. :yo: Karlsson does not like to be hit and if you intimidate him he can loose focus!:D

ctdc-2014-winter-olympics-mood-title

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I haven't lived in Canada for quite some time, but I'll still be cheering for them over Sweden today. And you know, if it were just Karlsson on the Swedish team, I might not even mind them winning so much, I've got nothing against the Swedes, better losing to them than to a rival like the US or Russia. But having Alfredsson there sours the deal. In that aspect the Sens pride shines through. I wish the guy a fine life ... of losing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad