Climate group intends to cause “public outrage” and “break the law” at Canucks game this Sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Vancouver protest set to "disrupt" Sunday's Canucks game | Offside

From the article:

Extinction Rebellion Vancouver has plans to “disrupt” the Canucks game at Rogers Arena against the Chicago Blackhawks on Sunday, November 21 at 5 pm.

Daily Hive has reached organizers about what the disruptions would include. In a press release, the climate action group said that they have informed emergency services about their actions and are committed to allowing “emergency vehicles to pass through all our street occupations.”
The group is planning to gather at Andy Livingston Park at 3 pm and they say they will engage in acts of civil disobedience and are expecting arrests to happen.

If you’re thinking that there’s no correlation between the Canucks and climate change, then you might be right – and that’s the point.

We intend to cause public outrage and inconvenience. We intend to break the law because it is the only moral thing to do at this time when we are faced with criminal government inaction and lies.”

A Team Spokesperson with the Canucks said that they were “aware of the planned demonstration and are working closely with the VPD and local authorities to ensure a safe environment for everyone attending our game on Sunday.”

Anyway just thought I’d post this as a heads up in case any of you were planning to go to the game on Sunday.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Vancouver protest set to "disrupt" Sunday's Canucks game | Offside

From the article:

Extinction Rebellion Vancouver has plans to “disrupt” the Canucks game at Rogers Arena against the Chicago Blackhawks on Sunday, November 21 at 5 pm.

Daily Hive has reached organizers about what the disruptions would include. In a press release, the climate action group said that they have informed emergency services about their actions and are committed to allowing “emergency vehicles to pass through all our street occupations.”
The group is planning to gather at Andy Livingston Park at 3 pm and they say they will engage in acts of civil disobedience and are expecting arrests to happen.

If you’re thinking that there’s no correlation between the Canucks and climate change, then you might be right – and that’s the point.

We intend to cause public outrage and inconvenience. We intend to break the law because it is the only moral thing to do at this time when we are faced with criminal government inaction and lies.”

A Team Spokesperson with the Canucks said that they were “aware of the planned demonstration and are working closely with the VPD and local authorities to ensure a safe environment for everyone attending our game on Sunday.”

Anyway just thought I’d post this as a heads up in case any of you were planning to go to the game on Sunday.

I don’t know enough about what they are planning, and what their overall plan is. However I have learned we do this too much. Doesn’t matter if I agree or disagree with what your message is, you need to have on overall plan. I don’t just mean at the protest, I mean of what you hope to accomplish.

Oddly enough a tv show the newsroom did a good job of showing this with occupy Wall Street. I lived this earlier with my sister protesting something I agreed with her on, but disagreed on what she was doing.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
They lose tonight and it might not impact the barrage of fans breaking down the doors to get in!

They can chant "Stop the forest fires, but Fire Benning"

Reactions: kylek023

ChuckNorris4Cup

May 31, 2018
What are they arguing about? The city not doing enough to stop climate change? Or upset of the taxes we're paying for to combat climate change? Because last time I checked it's other countries who aren't doing their part as much, China, USA, so why not take your message to their countries Canada can't fix it all.

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
They should go protest in China or India, who are some of the biggest culprits, and see how they are received.

Incredible privilege to be able to do this without being significantly oppressed in any other "non western" country. I hope they keep that in mind when they 'break laws'.

ChuckNorris4Cup

May 31, 2018
Top 10 polluters

However, most of this pollution comes from just a few countries: China, for example, generates around 30% of all global emissions, while the United States is responsible for almost 14%.In the ranking below you can find the 10 countries that produce the most emissions, measured in millions of tons of CO2 in 2019.

1. China, with more than 10,065 million tons of CO2 released.
  2. United States, with 5,416 million tons of CO2
  3. India, with 2,654 million tons of CO2
  4. Russia, with 1,711 million tons of CO2
  5. Japan, 1,162 million tons of CO2
  6. Germany, 759 million tons of CO2
  7. Iran, 720 million tons of CO2
  8. South Korea, 659 million tons of CO2
  9. Saudi Arabia, 621 million tons of CO2
  10. Indonesia, 615 million tons of CO2

Which countries are the world’s biggest carbon polluters? - Climate Trade

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
We should keep in mind that as an importer of goods we also need to offset whatever the country that actually manufactured the goods emitted as part of the process. When that gets factored in we're not as green as we'd like to think we are and on a per capita basis we're especially bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad