Cleary in coaching?

Adityase

Mar 27, 2002
Troy, MI
Visit site
Though Babs and Holland have taken a lot of heat for keeping Cleary the last couple of years in spite of obviously diminishing skills, it hasn't been mentioned enough that Dats and Z actually spoke up for him because of his leadership skills. Not to rehash... rather I wanted to ask you guys a question:

Do you want Cleary to be offered a job in player development or coaching (Wings or GR) to keep him in the fold? If he's that strong a leader, maybe he's got a knack for coaching. Since there's little threat of him taking away playing time from younger players or being on the ice for important moments in Wings games, is it time to consider that he could be quite an asset behind the bench or in the front office?

It'd be fun to root for Cleary again, wouldn't it?

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Yes, Cleary's reportedly a good leader, and I like his personality. He's a hard worker. Respectfully though, I don't think his leadership skills were ever truly the the right question. The only real question about Cleary at the start of this season concerned his physical ability on the ice. Now he had a very good postseason in 2012-13; I think he was right to give playing another season a shot despite not doing so well in the regular season. However, with Nyquist without a roster spot, signing Cleary to play for the Wings again is still a pretty unimpressive move, no matter whether Zetterberg, the Pope, or whoever else, gave Cleary a good reference. And I don't mean in retrospect. I mean all you had to do was compare their recent numbers back then. Moreover, they weren't in a huge deficit for leadership, having brought aboard Alfredsson and Weiss. Yes, I think it is very appropriate to consider Cleary for a coaching spot; I do like him. But I don't think considering him as a coach necessarily required resigning him as a player. I don't mean to rehash either. But the question of trying to bring Cleary on as a coach was probably the right question to ask about him at the start of the season. Albeit it's not too late. But just think of how good Nyquist has been this season and I think you gotta admit how insanely bad of a move it really was.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Key to this question is whether Cleary actually wants any part of this. Have a feeling he has to really regret turning down the reported Philly offer, that is several million he will just flat out never get back.

I think he could be an asset in terms of some sort of organizational position, but I am not certain that he doesn't try to latch on somewhere next year even with the writing clearly on the wall in terms of where he is as a player.

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
Key to this question is whether Cleary actually wants any part of this. Have a feeling he has to really regret turning down the reported Philly offer, that is several million he will just flat out never get back.

I think he could be an asset in terms of some sort of organizational position, but I am not certain that he doesn't try to latch on somewhere next year even with the writing clearly on the wall in terms of where he is as a player.

That Philly offer was never true. His agent used Helen St. James to tweet out that fake story about this big deal with Philly. I remember reporters asking Holmgren and he said that Cleary would be allowed to tryout with the team and that he never was offered a contract.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
That Philly offer was never true. His agent used Helen St. James to tweet out that fake story about this big deal with Philly. I remember reporters asking Holmgren and he said that Cleary would be allowed to tryout with the team and that he never was offered a contract.

That just makes HSJ and Cleary's agent look terrible.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

We don't know what happened. It's a he said, she said situation. I think it's more likely Holmgren, understandably, got cold feet about the deal than Cleary advocated lies to the press, but that's just me.

As for the question at hand, yeah, Cleary is exactly the kind of player that moves into coaching. He's a guy who was on his way out from the NHL and had a resurgence that corresponded with an attitude shift and a lot of hard work. Those are attributes and experiences you look for in a leader.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

That was a PTO contract.

No way they still want him after they see him play.

If the red wings didn't let him come crawling back on his hands and knees, he would have watched this season on the couch. No one wanted him.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway

Do we know he got the offer?

Adityase

Mar 27, 2002
Troy, MI
Visit site
Sad to see people ignore the original post, especially a moderator, but it's good to see people who actually read it responded in a meaningful way. Yeah, I agree. He'd make a great coach. MOD

Last edited by a moderator:

Amrcn Ftbll

Quincey 4 prez 2k16
Jan 22, 2014
ypsi
Sad to see people ignore the original post, especially a moderator, but it's good to see people who actually read it responded in a meaningful way. Yeah, I agree. He'd make a great coach. MOD

But anyway, yeah, I'd love to keep cleary around in the organization, but just not as a player. I don't know about a coaching job, but player development, sure. He's a veteran (kenny took him back, of course he is) who I would imagine has a great locker room presence and a good deal of experience with how the wings like to play and develop their players, so why not give him a shot?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
We don't know what happened. It's a he said, she said situation. I think it's more likely Holmgren, understandably, got cold feet about the deal than Cleary advocated lies to the press, but that's just me.

As for the question at hand, yeah, Cleary is exactly the kind of player that moves into coaching. He's a guy who was on his way out from the NHL and had a resurgence that corresponded with an attitude shift and a lot of hard work. Those are attributes and experiences you look for in a leader.

This. Somewhere like Edmonton or Washington could do with him as an assistant coach. Want to know what it takes to win in the NHL, and what it costs you? Look no further than Dan Cleary.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

How is this ignoring your question?

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
Btw, is cleary still injured or is he basically healthy but the kids have taken over his spot? He's been out a long time for a knee sprain

Cleary trying to get back

Daniel Cleary (knee) has skated for five consecutive days and wants to get to the point where he would be available in the playoffs, if needed.

“That’s the ultimate goal, to get yourself ready and be available,” said Cleary, who hasn’t played since Jan. 28. “It’s been feeling better. It’s been frustrating, but what are you going to do?”

Cleary had an adverse reaction to a shot in his knee that caused even more discomfort. It’s only recently that he has been able to skate freely.

“I just had a real bad reaction to it (shot),” Cleary said. “That’s why I haven’t been skating or been able to get around. But it’s feeling better. It’s taken a long time. But we’re just trying to get it strong and in shape and making yourself available.”

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140411/SPORTS0103/304110081#ixzz2ylFsN1gv

If Dan wants to coach, I am fine with it.

Last edited:

Peter Tosh

Dec 19, 2007
From what I've read about Cleary, he passionately loves the Red Wings organization and is proud to be part of it. He's a hard worker and buys in to Babcocks philosophy. With these attributes in mind, I think Cleary would be an ideal candidate for some kind of management position. Keeping the hard working, passionate ex-players in the organization promotes the winning culture and tradition which have benefited the team well over the years. It's also a way of showing that the organization values hard work, sacrifice and loyalty.

I don't know how smart Cleary is, though. Being a hard, passionate worker would translate well into being an assistant coach, I guess. Higher positions require more strategic thinking and decision making skills. Time will tell which function Cleary will hold, but my bet is that he stays in the organization after retirement (which I hope will happen ASAP).

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
He seems like a good guy and he was very easy to root for when he made this team on a tryout and he was an important part of those teams that went to the finals. His best years are far behind but I don't dislike the guy. I resented his use over younger players that needed the playing time. At this stage in his career, he's not going to help you win a championship...if he even stays healthy.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Then the saying is true...those who can't, Teach.

Cleary can't? Cleary did. I'm not sure why his career is in debate. Over 900 NHL games and nearly 400 points. And 52 playoff points in 121 games.

That's a very distinguished career. Let's not let his injured body and recent struggles wipe that away.

Kyleftlx

twitter*****/kyle_ftl
May 9, 2010
Michigan!
I'd love to see him in a coaching role somewhere within Detroit's system. He seems like such a loyal guy who absolutely loves it in Detroit.

With that being said, it's possible that Cleary thinks he has a year or two left in him and finds a suitor somewhere next year. I don't think Detroit will bring him back, but I just don't know if he's ready to hang them up. I'd hang them up and take an office job in Detroit if I were Cleary.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I'd love to see him in a coaching role somewhere within Detroit's system. He seems like such a loyal guy who absolutely loves it in Detroit.

With that being said, it's possible that Cleary thinks he has a year or two left in him and finds a suitor somewhere next year. I don't think Detroit will bring him back, but I just don't know if he's ready to hang them up. I'd hang them up and take an office job in Detroit if I were Cleary.

So would I, but I don't know if that's in Cleary's DNA to give up without giving it another go. A team might take a chance on him with a tryout deal. Gomez found work, after all.

Point Shot

Keep It Realgud
Feb 12, 2013
I could see Cleary having a part to play working with the kids down in Grand Rapids somehow. The guy clearly buys into the Wings' system and he at least knows the value of hard work. Learning both of those things is critical for any kid trying to crack the big club.

And frankly I'd rather have Dan-O coaching than playing. :nod:

Chip39

Apr 19, 2013
If there is any chance of another year I have no idea why I wouldn't try to find a job somewhere if I could. You can always get a job coaching. Playing is something you have a small window for so why not go for it. I wish I had a million dollar pro season left in me and so do you guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad