Clearing the Flyers Logjam on Defense

SchennSational1022*

He's getting paid 3m. He's guaranteed a spot on the opening day roster. It's entirely possible he blows it and loses his spot quickly, but you can bet they're not going to put 3m in the press box before giving him a game.

Yeah, I meant long term, like after 10-15 games into season. Should have specified.

pinedak

Dec 4, 2014
So these are the D-men philly has left on 1-way contracts:

Shultz
Schenn
Del Zotto (RFA)
Gudas
Amac
Medvedev
Streit
Manning

Now the guys on two-way that have a shot to make it out of camp IMO (no particular order):

Provorov
Morin
Marti
Alt (though less so)

Sanheim is the dark-horse here but I think he's back to the Hitmen. Ghost needs more time. Injury hurt him more than just physically, he should be ready by mid-season though. At worst post deadline.

If Hextall has a plan for Provorov to make the squad, more than Schenn has to move. Philly isn't going to carry 8 D. My bet is if they can't work out a deal for MDZ he's packaged to move Vinny, or more ideally Amac.

They can also keep half of newly acquired Gagner and I think he's much more attractive under 2mil as a trade piece.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
I don't know if the injury hurt Ghost physically since it seems like he added on much needed weight. He might also be watching a lot of tape of his playing to see how he can improve in the defensive end. I wouldn't count him out so quickly to not make the team from camp.

pinedak

Dec 4, 2014
No way Hexy lets that happen and we won't know if he's lost a step until he plays. They will be even more cautious with the D now. Taking the time to get bigger will help him in the long run and its altogether obvious that he's been watching games and tape. Ultimately, it's about what he does on the ice.

SchennSational1022*

Apparently both Edmonton and Calgary were in on Grossmann too. We underestimate how stupid GMs are and their willingness to take awful players...I think Macdonald could be moved easier than some think on this board, not just because of Grossmann.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Apparently both Edmonton and Calgary were in on Grossmann too. We underestimate how stupid GMs are and their willingness to take awful players...I think Macdonald could be moved easier than some think on this board, not just because of Grossmann.

I've been saying this for months. GMs see real value in these players.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
McDonald will not be easy to move, Grossman was easy because it's a one year deal, he's a veteran patch on a young team.

McDonald is a marriage, not dating, next year, if he rebounds this year he'll be tradeable with a 4 year, $20M deal, especially if the cap goes up, though the Flyers might have to throw in $4-6M (turn it into a 4 year, $14M deal which is acceptable for a #4 D-man).

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
In terms of status for next season I would put it:

Locks (fresh contracts):
Shultz
Medvedev

Very Likely:
Streit
MacDonald
Gudas

On the fence:
Schenn
MDZ

Almost certainly out:
Manning

I find it hard to believe that not one of our 5 D prospects will make the team out of camp. It's possible, but if we want to have 1 make the team, we'll still need to move 2 guys.

At this point, unless Hextall can pull a miracle with MacDonald, or decides to sell high and early on Streit, I think we should move on from MDZ. Schenn or Gudas should be easily movable after the other options are tried, and we probably should only keep one of them anyway.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
McDonald will not be easy to move, Grossman was easy because it's a one year deal, he's a veteran patch on a young team.

McDonald is a marriage, not dating, next year, if he rebounds this year he'll be tradeable with a 4 year, $20M deal, especially if the cap goes up, though the Flyers might have to throw in $4-6M (turn it into a 4 year, $14M deal which is acceptable for a #4 D-man).

The time to trade Andy is about a week after UFA season. All the teams that strike out on the top UFAs, either because they won't go to those teams or those teams won't pay the asking prices, will be looking for D. Can't afford Franson/Sekera/Green? We have just the guy for you, locked up long term too.

Seriously, Phoenix might be the spot. UFAs won't go there, so Maloney can have AMac for 6 more years...

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
The time to trade Andy is about a week after UFA season. All the teams that strike out on the top UFAs, either because they won't go to those teams or those teams won't pay the asking prices, will be looking for D. Can't afford Franson/Sekera/Green? We have just the guy for you, locked up long term too.

Seriously, Phoenix might be the spot. UFAs won't go there, so Maloney can have AMac for 6 more years...

Yeah, no chance. A financially unstable team like arizona doesn't need to add bad contracts like AMac.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
McDonald is passable, you won't get value trading him this year and might have to throw in a lot of money/draft picks, waiting a year would make more sense.

The guy I'd move is Streit, his value is much higher than it will be a year from now, and a cup contender might overpay, you've added Medvedev for a year and the kids will be knocking on the door in 2016-17.

If you figure 3-4 of the kids will be ready next year (Morin, Ghost and Hagg, probably Provorov, Alt, Marti and Manning for depth) you're going to want to get rid of 2-3 veterans next summer. Allow Medvedev to walk and you only have to trade one - McDonald.

FLYERSFAN18

May 31, 2008
Pennsylvania
We really should move MacDonald if there is a team interested. As far as Schenn, I don't care if he is here or not. If MDZ wants anything more than 3 million per year for 2 years then just trade him or let him sign with someone else and take the compensation. If we trade MacDonald I would love too sign Beauchemin. He along with Streit, Schultz, and Medvedev would be a good veteran presence to help the young guys over the next 2-3 years. And once a prospect proves they are better than them they have a few pieces who could bring back decent assets.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
The guy I'd move is Streit, his value is much higher than it will be a year from now, and a cup contender might overpay, you've added Medvedev for a year and the kids will be knocking on the door in 2016-17.
I see why you'd do it, given that we're nowhere close to being a Cup contender next year, but I'd still pass. I love Streit too much.

Fragmuffin

Aug 20, 2013
Zagreb
I'd deal Streit at the deadline if we're not a playoff team. You'd be looking at a Coburn like return, heck, I'd say even more.
Honestly, I'd expect only L.Shenn to get traded right now. Streit-Amac, Schulz-Medvedev, MDZ-Gudas is a realistic defence for next year, and I'd say it is a slight improvement over last years.

If we're not a playoff team you start dealing those players like crazy. Mostly cuz of the fact that our prospects will be ready by 16/17 and you have to make room for them one way or the other.

Last edited:

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
I think we still need to keep one big bruiser on the blue line who can hit, play physical at times, while taking regular shifts.

Luke Schenn, while being overpaid as a 3rd pairing D, fits that bill. Not sure Gudas can adequately replace him. However, if Sam Morin comes into cap and impresses, Luke could be as good as gone.

Realistically, the kids are getting closer and they can't work them in all at the same time. One of them should make the team as soon as this season.

OzFlyers

Registered Boozer
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
I think we still need to keep one big bruiser on the blue line who can hit, play physical at times, while taking regular shifts.

Luke Schenn, while being overpaid as a 3rd pairing D, fits that bill. Not sure Gudas can adequately replace him. However, if Sam Morin comes into cap and impresses, Luke could be as good as gone.

This sure sounds like Gudas to me!

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
I keep seeing the name Marti floating around. Who is this? Clearly I missed something because for the longest time it just registered as Martel

canada14

Feb 13, 2015
Mac is a servicable dmen in my eyes, no doubt its a bad contract, but hes a 4-6 guy on most teams. Chris Tanev has a similar contact, and in my eyes Tanev is a 3-4 guy. I'd love to see Mac moved with the 3rd we got in the rinaldo trade to a team like the devils for a 3rd and another contact. Maybe a trade to colorado for brad stuart, he's got a bad contact but it expires sooner, similar to the hartnell-umberger trade

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I'm hoping this is our opening night roster on the backend:
MacDonald - Streit
Schultz - Medvedev
Provorov - Gudas
Manning

I think Provorov makes the cut. I think he was selected because of his NHL readiness & the fact he can likely play on both of the second unit special teams should help his cause in nailing down a spot. It's still not pretty but hopefully guys like Gostisbehere & Morin can prove their salt in the AHL to earn a call up sooner than later.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
I would expect at least one (possibly two) of our "big 5" young D prospects to be playing this year. you can't wait until 2016-17 to start bringing them in, cause then you could have a situation where you have 4 of them all breaking in at the same time. you can't go with a rookie defense like that. gotta break them in a couple at a time.

my bet is that Provo and Morin make it this year. maybe Ghost/Morin split time as call ups, while Provo plays full time. next year we see Sanheim, and maybe Hagg as an injury call up.

if none of Provo/Sanheim/Morin/Ghost/Hagg make the team this year, it's gonna be a major cluster**** next season. can't keep pushing them back. if they're ready, they're ready.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad