Clearing the Flyers Logjam on Defense

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
According to Seravelli, the Flyers met today with MDZ's agent and it didn't get anywhere. He says that it looks like its going to go to arbitration. Just a hunch but I think that Hextall will move MDZ or let him go get an RFA sheet and take the compensation.

Once MDZ said he wanted to come back but at a "fair" price I knew it was not going to be easy. I'm glad Hextall is GM since he has a better handle on what is "fair" and what is not compared to Holmgren...

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
Really don't know what to expect from MDZ season to season, or even game to game. I'd have no issue with Hextall taking compensation for him either via trade or O.S. if his demands are unreasonable.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Great. It's gonna be one of those summers where MDZ is going to hold up any of our other D from getting dealt.

Dealing at least one of Grossmann or L Schenn should be independent of Hextall's decision on Del Zotto. Even if he runs the table and moves all three, there are still plenty of options, both internally and through FA and waivers.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
If MDZ plans on being difficult after one good seasons then I'm fine with sending him packing for a pick or to move up on the draft or something. He's not important enough to eat up more cap than he's worth.

OzFlyers

Registered Boozer
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
If MDZ plans on being difficult after one good seasons then I'm fine with sending him packing for a pick or to move up on the draft or something. He's not important enough to eat up more cap than he's worth.

Yea, nobody here seems that attached to him so I imagine Flyers FO feels the same. Sign him on a good contract and he stays otherwise see what they can get for him.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Yea, nobody here seems that attached to him so I imagine Flyers FO feels the same. Sign him on a good contract and he stays otherwise see what they can get for him.

I thought he had a really good season and shows room for further improvement too. He's fast, moves the puck, joins the rush, scores when he gets there, and plays a more tenacious D than he gets credit for. I think the Flyers need him, but they don't have cap room to offer a decent long term contract. If it goes to arbitration he's going to get $3 million min. based on production/role. It really depends on what he's asking for.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You don't overpay for MDZ b/c he's not reliable, the fact that he's pushing to max his money when he still has lot's of question marks to me is a red flag, in his shoes, I'd want a reasonable 2 year deal to work on my game, then cash in when I've proven myself to be a top flight defenseman.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The interesting question is why Hextall hasn't moved any of his defensemen before the draft. Probably hasn't gotten any good offers in this draft, so he figures to hold them until teams face going into the season with an AHL player in their top 6 rotation and ante up a decent 2016 draft choice.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
The interesting question is why Hextall hasn't moved any of his defensemen before the draft. Probably hasn't gotten any good offers in this draft, so he figures to hold them until teams face going into the season with an AHL player in their top 6 rotation and ante up a decent 2016 draft choice.

As long as that big "log" Luke Schenn gets moved at some point I will be content. I would think Hextall will move at least one D man during the draft or at least he is obviously trying but if he can get more later then yeah it would be prudent to do so.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

No one had any reason to trade for them. Trades have really only been made for good players. No one's in a rush to trade for Nicklas Grossmann

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
I'll be surprised if LSchenn isn't traded soon. MDZ as well since he's overplaying his hand in negotiations. From what we've seen with Hextall, if you mess with him, he'll drop you into the all gone machine pretty fast.

cheesesteakarmor

Jul 18, 2009
I'll be surprised if LSchenn isn't traded soon. MDZ as well since he's overplaying his hand in negotiations. From what we've seen with Hextall, if you mess with him, he'll drop you into the all gone machine pretty fast.

He's the chip kelly of the NHL ;)

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Hmm, I don't think I've ever been more excited to see what the defensive lineup next year will be.

I think two of Provorov, Morin, and Gostisbehere will make the team with Schenn and Del Zotto being traded. I can see Schenn starting the year as the #7, though.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
I think two of Provorov, Morin, and Gostisbehere will make the team with Schenn and Del Zotto being traded. I can see Schenn starting the year as the #7, though.
I just hope they give fair consideration to Marti, as well. He played well in the NLA (the few games I've seen him a while back), and I think he deserves a shot. You said Sanheim had a great season, so he could be in the mix, too. But I think Gostisbehere is probably the safest bet of the three you mentioned right now, seeing as how he already got a taste of the NHL. As for Provorov and Morin, I really don't know which of them, if either, could make it. I like Morin, but I've been underwhelmed by his play whenever I saw him. Not that he was bad, but just not as good as I thought or hoped for. With Provorov, I think there's also the additional factor of him being a fresh pick. I wonder, too, if Hagg makes it over them due to his physicality and AHL experience.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

I was just thinking the same thing. I think Provorov and Ghost could make it out of camp because they're the two most ready (as far as I know) and I think no matter what happens they're going to want Morin to at least start in the AHL.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
I just hope they give fair consideration to Marti, as well. He played well in the NLA (the few games I've seen him a while back), and I think he deserves a shot. You said Sanheim had a great season, so he could be in the mix, too. But I think Gostisbehere is probably the safest bet of the three you mentioned right now, seeing as how he already got a taste of the NHL. As for Provorov and Morin, I really don't know which of them, if either, could make it. I like Morin, but I've been underwhelmed by his play whenever I saw him. Not that he was bad, but just not as good as I thought or hoped for. With Provorov, I think there's also the additional factor of him being a fresh pick. I wonder, too, if Hagg makes it over them due to his physicality and AHL experience.

I was just thinking the same thing. I think Provorov and Ghost could make it out of camp because they're the two most ready (as far as I know) and I think no matter what happens they're going to want Morin to at least start in the AHL.

I agree with you guys. Only reason I think Morin will get consideration is because we could use a player of his skill set right away. And the blue line seems like it'll be lacking in size.

I'm going to project this for the opening day lineup, though:

Schultz-Streit
Provorov-Medvedev
Ghost/MacDonald-Gudas
Schenn

It's certainly going to be an interesting process. And honestly, I won't be surprised to see Provorov, Gostisbehere, and Morin in the NHL by the end of the year when Streit is presumably traded at the deadline.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I agree with you guys. Only reason I think Morin will get consideration is because we could use a player of his skill set right away. And the blue line seems like it'll be lacking in size.

I'm going to project this for the opening day lineup, though:

Schultz-Streit
Provorov-Medvedev
Ghost/MacDonald-Gudas
Schenn

It's certainly going to be an interesting process. And honestly, I won't be surprised to see Provorov, Gostisbehere, and Morin in the NHL by the end of the year when Streit is presumably traded at the deadline.

Yeah, I thought so too, the defensive core seems a bit small if Provorov and Ghost are added and if we assume Gudas/Schenn are gone. I tried to spitball some pairings and realized it's tough to make them without running into an issue of having two small guys together, especially if MDZ is still there.

I don't envy Hextalls job right now, he has a LOT of thinking and work to do before next season.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
MDZ doesn't deserve anything more than a 2 year show me deal. It's pretty balsy if he is demanding more considering he wasn't going to play before we took a chance on him. Get one more year out of him and trade deadline him or let him walk. We need to hold slots for just a few years anyway.

SchennSational1022*

Still not sure Medvedev is a shoe in for a spot though. Glad Grossmann is gone, guy was the ****ing worst.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Still not sure Medvedev is a shoe in for a spot though. Glad Grossmann is gone, guy was the ****ing worst.

He's getting paid 3m. He's guaranteed a spot on the opening day roster. It's entirely possible he blows it and loses his spot quickly, but you can bet they're not going to put 3m in the press box before giving him a game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad