Management Claude Julien - The Last Hurrah?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
If the Bs don't make the playoffs then he should be done here. Coaches have a shelf-life and it is a result based business. Give him an elite D core to work with and he is an elite coach, give him a poor D core to work with and he is a very, very poor coach.

Give the job to Cassidy.

Recent collapse or not, I'm not so sure there are many NHL coaches who could have pulled this seasons results out of this team. I'm certain there are no "very, very poor" coaches that could.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Is it fair to say Claude got both:

A) More out of this team than anyone thought he would

and

B) Could of still gotten more out of what he had to work with.

Because this is where I'm at. I don't know if that means I want him back next year or not.

Playoffs or no playoffs it's a tough call.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
If the Bs don't make the playoffs then he should be done here. Coaches have a shelf-life and it is a result based business. Give him an elite D core to work with and he is an elite coach, give him a poor D core to work with and he is a very, very poor coach.

Give the job to Cassidy.

I don't see them getting better with Cassidy. Talk about locker room disaster.
Who's out there if he get canned? Seriously!

njbruin*

Nov 17, 2007
Recent collapse or not, I'm not so sure there are many NHL coaches who could have pulled this seasons results out of this team. I'm certain there are no "very, very poor" coaches that could.

I'm so sick of hearing this from the Julien supporters.

What exactly did Claude do to pull the results out of this team. Outside of a few teams I see a very weak Eastern Conference and what was a fairly easy front end of the schedule. I see no reason with the offensive talent and a very good netminder that this team couldn't be a playoff team regardless of the young transitioning players and the undermanned D. I believe the notion that this team would be much worse w/o Claude a myth.

Spanky185

Dec 1, 2014
Between BOS and NYC
I've seen a lot of people claim the bruins players just don't care. If that's true that's the most damning criticism of Claude possible, because if they're not going to go out there and fight, they're not willing to go out there and fight for him.

Ultimately in an pro team sport (except maybe the NBA) the coach/manager is the number one leader in the locker room, and is responsible for getting the players to perform and how they perform.

If the room really is in **** it mode, that's definitely a reflection on the coach.

indy

Oct 18, 2015
I've seen a lot of people claim the bruins players just don't care. If that's true that's the most damning criticism of Claude possible, because if they're not going to go out there and fight, they're not willing to go out there and fight for him.

Ultimately in an pro team sport (except maybe the NBA) the coach/manager is the number one leader in the locker room, and is responsible for getting the players to perform and how they perform.

If the room really is in **** it mode, that's definitely a reflection on the coach.

I think they care. But as another poster said, they aren't playing "Balls to the wall" and that gets frustrating for the fan. When they play that high energy game they get positive results. Did not see that last night at all. And that signals a lack of effort and that translates to "They don't care."

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
This irrational fear about where Julien would end up should Boston fire him needs to stop. If he's not the right guy for the rebuild that's happening here, then it doesn't matter where he goes or how quickly he gets a job. Besides, with the intimate knowledge the players here have of his system, they should be able to exploit tendencies and facets of that system to their advantage. Fear of where he'd go should never be a factor in retaining or firing a coach.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I'm so sick of hearing this from the Julien supporters.

What exactly did Claude do to pull the results out of this team. Outside of a few teams I see a very weak Eastern Conference and what was a fairly easy front end of the schedule. I see no reason with the offensive talent and a very good netminder that this team couldn't be a playoff team regardless of the young transitioning players and the undermanned D. I believe the notion that this team would be much worse w/o Claude a myth.

OK, I'll bite.

You tell me how many teams in the League that you would NOT trade our D for their D straight up. If you're honest, there will be very few.

Our D is that bad in terms of 1-6 balance (yes, we have lots of serviceable 4, 5, 6, 7 guys).

Then tell me how many Coaches would get you top 5 goals for without scorched earth goals against.

Bottom line is we've scored more than enough to make PO's and limited the damage that a full season of that D could do. We've just crapped the bed for the past 10 games and that is on the players -- not the coach or the system (I'm beginning to had that frigging word).

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
This irrational fear about where Julien would end up should Boston fire him needs to stop. If he's not the right guy for the rebuild that's happening here, then it doesn't matter where he goes or how quickly he gets a job. Besides, with the intimate knowledge the players here have of his system, they should be able to exploit tendencies and facets of that system to their advantage. Fear of where he'd go should never be a factor in retaining or firing a coach.

great post, this fear stuff is hilarious:laugh:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I like Claude lots, and if the Bruins at the end of the game Saturday are out I will stand and give him a standing ovation.

I can live with him coaching next year but I do think its time.

The next really strong group of players that will form the foundation of a very good team is starting to show up and he's not the right guy

If you want to go with a bunch of veterans and role players supplementing a strong core he is your guy but I'd make the move.

If Claude isn't in the second round coaching and Neely/Sweeney do not make a move they lack courage:laugh:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Attention Habs fans:

Please be in your seats promptly at 7:00 opening day of the 2016-7 season for the ceremony to welcome back head coach Claude Julien.

Puck drop will be at approximately 9 PM.

the Bruins-Habs rivalry needs a bump and this will do it.

The best part of Claude going to Montreal is the Civil War it will create on the Bruins board.:laugh:

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
the Bruins-Habs rivalry needs a bump and this will do it.

The best part of Claude going to Montreal is the Civil War it will create on the Bruins board.:laugh:

As long as he plays Barberio in the shoot out before Plekanec and Galchenyuk.

njbruin*

Nov 17, 2007
OK, I'll bite.

You tell me how many teams in the League that you would NOT trade our D for their D straight up. If you're honest, there will be very few.

Our D is that bad in terms of 1-6 balance (yes, we have lots of serviceable 4, 5, 6, 7 guys).

Then tell me how many Coaches would get you top 5 goals for without scorched earth goals against.

Bottom line is we've scored more than enough to make PO's and limited the damage that a full season of that D could do. We've just crapped the bed for the past 10 games and that is on the players -- not the coach or the system (I'm beginning to had that frigging word).

Sure the D is bad, but its buoyed by the fact that we have easily a top 10 netminder and about a half dozen really good defensive minded forwards. Juilen should get some credit for those defensive forwards, but regardless of the coach I still think Bergy, Loui, Acciari, Ferraro, Krejci, Kemp would be better than average defensive forwards.

As far as top 5 goals - i'll contend our offensive top 9 is pretty talented, the problem is that heavy forechecking teams and teams that retrieve the puck well on D can render them impotent on some nights. Plus its critically important with the system that they play with a lead.

In a system where the offensive players are able to use the speed and skill rather than dumping and chasing we'd probably see a much more consistent scoring effort per game as opposed to some games where they get the lead and force turnovers and score 4-5 goals versus the games where they chase a lead and muster 1-2.
Bottom line I feel this could be a very good top 9 and could only be better in a more progressive minded attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad