Speculation: Claude Julien Hired, What Now?

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
....Heh... they ****ed up the causation, but AC is absolutely right in blaming Carey Price.

Because if Carey Price plays like Carey Price should play (not even God-Mode Price; just 0.925 SV% Price), MT isn't canned, because that team never loses a step.

Yes . The Montoya shut out for 65 minutes ...and Habs still lose, proved that its Careys fault.

Team was shut out 3 of its last 5 games under Therrien! Carey Price could have got a hat trick against Bruins and we still lose to that game.

:laugh::laugh: Get this Price gets Therrien his extension......and should apologize for not getting him another one. :laugh::laugh:

BTW ...how many teams you think are firing their coach to hire Therrien now that the genius is available.??

Last edited:

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
1- Bruins fans hated seeing Kelly play so much. I think lots of bottom6 playing isn't going anywhere.
2- Everyone is high on puck possession. We just have to hope that Julien is high on a transition game that is more than just N/S dumps.
3- Hopefully. Yup, I agree.
4- Hopefully.
5- Those who don't buy in gotta get off. I'm looking at Pleks and DD, who both have an opportunity to salvage their careers.

Still wondering if Plekanec wasn't the one suffering the most from Therrien's coaching. We'll see.
As for DD...he's not part of the plan going forward but who knows, we knew that DD in Therrien's system was toxic, maybe if used differently we never know, just highly doubtful.

And i now every coach has those weird decision and in the league today, we talk about having a top 9 more than a top 6 these days but i just expect Julien to have a different bench management.

MT deserved to be fired because he was past his expiry date since a while. But he wouldn't have been fired if Price had played like he should've, or like he's paid to be.

As for Galchenyuk, it was a good idea not to play him that much icetime due to being allegedly out of shape and generally in a funk. Not sure this is how I would've done it.

For a goaltender, 8 starts = 3 weeks of works.
During that really bad stretch, between Jan.16th and Feb. 5th...

Carey Price: 92.4%

That's very good goaltending, wouldn't you agree? Not super Price, but good.
But on the records it translated to: 2 wins in 8 games (2-5-1)

Can't sit there and put it all on Price like the french medias are doing....he put up a good stretch and without him carrying the team, this team wasn't going anywhere. It's been true for the last 3 years.

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
I call that Pateryn will be a regular (or 90% of the time), which is totally fine and logical with me.

I'm a fan of him since his days in Hamilton and never understood why they took so long to call him up (I saw him in our lineup 1-2 years before his call-up.). I got laughed at for believing in him (most saw him as a AHL'er) but I do believe he becomes a good #5, poor #4.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Yes . The Montoya shut out for 65 minutes ...and we still lossed proved that its Careys fault.

Team was shut out 3 of its last 5 games under therrien! Carey Price could have got a hat trick and we still lose to Boston.

:laugh::laugh: Price gets Therrien his extension......and should apologize for not getting him another one. :laugh::laugh:

BTW ...how many teams you think are firing their coach to hire Therrien now that the genius is available.??

You definitely can't see the forest for the trees.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
MT deserved to be fired because he was past his expiry date since a while. But he wouldn't have been fired if Price had played like he should've, or like he's paid to be.

As for Galchenyuk, it was a good idea not to play him that much icetime due to being allegedly out of shape and generally in a funk. Not sure this is how I would've done it.

It rarely happens but I'm going with LG on this one. MT wouldn't have been fired if he would have coached like he should have. Last year he got a mulligan. Price was out most of the year and a big chunk of the core was injured. So he gets a pass. This year it was deja vu all over again (apologies to Yogi Berra). The last few weeks it was obvious there was something wrong with this team and it went above and beyond Price's lackluster play. MT was unable to adjust. It happened last year and it was happening again this year. Maybe as some of the rumours are saying Price bailed out on MT and if that's true you have to ask yourself why.

Also you claiming MT wouldn't have been fired if Price played decent goal helps to reinforce what all the MT detractors have been saying: the only reason MT kept his job was because Price has been a world class player. So why do we need MT?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
For a goaltender, 8 starts = 3 weeks of works.
During that really bad stretch, between Jan.16th and Feb. 5th...

Carey Price: 92.4%

That's very good goaltending, wouldn't you agree? Not super Price, but good.
But on the records it translated to: 2 wins in 8 games (2-5-1)

Can't sit there and put it all on Price like the french medias are doing....he put up a good stretch and without him carrying the team, this team wasn't going anywhere. It's been true for the last 3 years.

Increase the sample size on both sides.
(I'm not saying you're wrong by the way : I said myself in the post you quoted they ****ed up on causation, so we're essentially saying the same thing).

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
It rarely happens but I'm going with LG on this one. MT wouldn't have been fired if he would have coached like he should have. Last year he got a mulligan. Price was out most of the year and a big chunk of the core was injured. So he gets a pass. This year it was deja vu all over again (apologies to Yogi Berra). The last few weeks it was obvious there was something wrong with this team and it went above and beyond Price's lackluster play. MT was unable to adjust. It happened last year and it was happening again this year. Maybe as some of the rumours are saying Price bailed out on MT and if that's true you have to ask yourself why.

Also you claiming MT wouldn't have been fired if Price played decent goal helps to reinforce what all the MT detractors have been saying: the only reason MT kept his job was because Price has been a world class player. So why do we need MT?

See... I can't disagree with this either.

On the other hand, every coach who receive goaltending around .900 is gonna get canned sooner or later, because .900 USUALLY leads to losses, unless you're coaching the Dallas Stars to an unsustainable shooting percentage... And even then, you're just getting canned the following year.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
That's not the point now it is? 1) He can't become good if you don't use him a lot. 2) Not all players should be good at D, it's ok to have players that produce more than they allow. We just want him to improve his delta over time.

Mike Modano, Stevie Y, Mark Riechi, Ron Francis, Chris Draper and Guy Cabeneau and hundreds of others were weak defensively when they came in the league. Some for longer than others. They were taught, given time, aloud to make mistakes, were not micro managed and rounded out their full 200 foot game. Chucky will be fine now that DD's uncle Michelle is not in charge.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

On the other hand, every coach who receive goaltending around .900 is gonna get canned sooner or later, because .900 USUALLY leads to losses, unless you're coaching the Dallas Stars to an unsustainable shooting percentage... And even then, you're just getting canned the following year.

I see your point but as someone who didn't dislike the MT version 2.2 I have to say Price's slump fell into MT's weakness. I've maintained that MT is not an elite coach but I would place him in tier below elite. The coaches in that tier have great qualities but they also have weaknesses. One of MT's weaknesses is communicating with his players one on one. To me the last few weeks it looked like he finally lost the players. He had lost Price a few weeks earlier when he pulled him and Price gave him the death stare. He hasn't been the same goalie since that game. That falls on MT's shoulders.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas

One thing that needs to be pointed out in the save per centage.

2 goalies can have a 900 save percentage on any gicen night.

One of them is the first star of the game.

The other barely gets mentioned.

Why ? Although the numbers show they stopped the same per centage of shots they faced........the numbers don't show the quality of shots.

Delections, getting screened by your own players. Bad pinches that lead to 3 on 1. no coverage in front of net, D aloud to tee it up at the blue line. etc etc etc

Marty Broduer started to see shots coming from places he rarely seen them come from on a regular basis once Jersey no longer had Neydimyer, Stevens, Rafalski, Daneko, White ....not to mention the forwards that blanketed guys and kept the shots coming from out side when they came at all.

Aves golaie shut the habs out 4-0 last week. Barely remembered him making any tough saves. Great save percentage though.

Price had some bad games for sure. He also had a lot of bad games in 08. But the team could score and bail him out. Like any good team does. This team did not do it last year when he was missing....nor this year when he was playing bad. That much is more apparent than any other deficiency this team has.

*Poor coaching has been one big problem for sure. Just one though.
*Bigger problem than coaching? Since Koivu was in his prime elite centermen have avoided this team like the plague. Never win a cup without them.
*Been very soft and far too easy to play against.
* Lowered bar. Losing has become accepted and making the play offs is considered "success"
* Instead of addressing and changing the above.......organization lends its self to excuses, escape goats and blame games.

Last edited:

club57

Jul 24, 2005
Julien

Granted I only watch B's/Habs games so not a large sample size but Galchenyuk doesn't seem to be a 3-zone player. High offensive talent . He is going to see much less ice-time if Claude holds true to form. The big winner here will be Carey Price. Expect to see a lot more shutouts and low scoring boring games. Rask was a big beneficiary of Claude's game-plans. Good luck to you guys. Julien lost the locker room here three years ago, damn shame it took this long to make the change. He will get you a cup in this contract because of Price, guaranteed. It will however not be very enjoyable to watch.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
One thing that needs to be pointed out in the save per centage.

2 goalies can have a 900 save percentage on any gicen night.

One of them is the first star of the game.

The other barely gets mentioned.

Why ? Although the numbers show they stopped the same per centage of shots they faced........the numbers don't show the quality of shots.

Delections, getting screened by your own players. Bad pinches that lead to 3 on 1.

Mary Broduer started to see shots comimg from places he never seen them come from on a regular basis once Jersey no longer had Neydimyer, Stevens, Rafalski, Daneko, White ....not to mention the forwards that blanketed guys and kept the shots coming from out side when they came at all.

Aves golaie shut the habs out 4-0 last week. Barely remembered him making any tough saves. Great save percentage though.

You're right on the relative value of SV% to assess one game.
But Individual games tend to be quite irrelevant as the sample size gets larger.
And a cursory look at Brodeur's SV% seriously throws a wrench in your theory, considering he had one of his best SV% seasons when his blueline was the following : Rafalski (never great defensively to begin with...),. Martin, Lukowich, Oduya, White and David ****ing Hale.

Actually, on pure SV% and GSAA, his best SEASONS relative to the reminder of the league were with that kind of D. When he was 34 and 35.

Last edited:

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Granted I only watch B's/Habs games so not a large sample size but Galchenyuk doesn't seem to be a 3-zone player. High offensive talent . He is going to see much less ice-time if Claude holds true to form. The big winner here will be Carey Price. Expect to see a lot more shutouts and low scoring boring games. Rask was a big beneficiary of Claude's game-plans. Good luck to you guys. Julien lost the locker room here three years ago, damn shame it took this long to make the change. He will get you a cup in this contract because of Price, guaranteed. It will however not be very enjoyable to watch.

Which is great 'cause lastly, it wasn't enjoyable AND we were not winning. Getting one of them back would be great!

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

Awesome, don't give a **** about it being enjoyable to watch. It was already unenjoyable to watch. If he can help tighten the team up defensively and fix the PK, I'll be happy.

Galchenyuk already wasn't getting ice-time. At least with Julien, it only takes 2 seasons to give a young guy a shot instead of double that. I remember Julien replacing Therrien last time, he's basically a better Therrien than Therrien.

CGG

Jan 6, 2005
CP 31 has been average lately, but his numbers take a big hit, because of a putrid PK that the coaches have yet to fix...........so to blame Price as maybe the franco media have started, is dis-ingenuous at best...

Came here to write exactly this.

Price is 5th in the league in save percentage, 5-on-5.
Montreal as a team is 5th in the league in save percentage, 5-on-5.

Montreal's penalty kill has been terrible. And it doesn't help that they're the most penalized team in the league (thanks, Andrew Shaw). Fix the penalty kill is really the only thing that Claude needs to do and this team is a juggernaut again.

Price is 44th out of 47 goalies with 20+ games in save percentage on the penalty kill. Do we really think he can stop pucks with the best of them at even strength but has somehow forgotten how to stop pucks when they're short handed? Or is it just a brutal penalty kill system that leads to glorious opportunities?

Until Price really slips at even strength I'm not going to worry about him. The good news is Julien should do better with the penalty kill. The other good news is there should be far fewer penalties called in the playoffs.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
So the solution to "MT is never accountable" is "CP is never accountable".

That... Well, with regards, it's counter-productive.
CP is the ONLY guy who has been accountable the last couple of seasons..........
He would tell you, he can be better this season, but seriously, their PK has sucked, and in most cases, he has not had much of a chance to make saves, on the back door PK goals that have been going in...

MT only got an extension, because of Carey Price, and now this year, people are saying he has gotten fired because of Carey Price?? Can't say I agree...and Price shouldn't have to apologize to anyone, for not carrying the team on his back, again.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
CP is the ONLY guy who has been accountable the last couple of seasons..........
He would tell you, he can be better this season, but seriously, their PK has sucked, and in most cases, he has not had much of a chance to make saves, on the back door PK goals that have been going in...

MT only got an extension, because of Carey Price, and now this year, people are saying he has gotten fired because of Carey Price?? Can't say I agree...and Price shouldn't have to apologize to anyone, for not carrying the team on his back, again.

As I said...
AC is right, but they ****ed up causation.

If Price had better numbers, the team wouldn't have lost that many games lately.
They just... completely turned a blind eye as to the reasons why Price numbers were not that good.
And many of these reasons were Therrien-related.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co

There is no way he can possibly see any less icetime under Julien than Therrien. He's been getting less than 15 minutes a night under Therrien since coming back from injury. The changing of head coaches can seriously only benefit Galchenyuk.

Therrien had this team playing the most boring hockey I have ever seen. Even more boring than the turn of the century Devils. I highly, highly, doubt that Julien's will have this team playing any more boring.

With that said, thanks for your input though. Any constructive comments are welcomed.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

3 years ago? He coincidentally lost the room when Chara and Seidenberg's play dropped off and they traded Boychuck. In any event if it takes him 7 years to lose a room Habs should be alright in the mean time...

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
3 years ago? He coincidentally lost the room when Chara and Seidenberg's play dropped off and they traded Boychuck. In any event if it takes him 7 years to lose a room Habs should be alright in the mean time...

Your new user name..... :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad