Speculation: Claude Julien Hired, What Now?

Downing JP

Feb 15, 2017
Given the recent news of CJ being named the new head coach for the Canadiens I wanted to get a feel for what kind of things he would be thinking about right now, and any speculations/hunches that may happen with him in the drivers seat now.

As far as what he does immediately after being hired. Does he get to know the players right now, watching videos etc before even meeting them? Or is that something that will wait. What else does he do now that he is head coach?

Who do you think will get some ice time bumps/cuts on the roster? (Call ups, send downs?)

I have a hunch that Lehkonen McCaron and Galchenyuk may see bumps in there ice time in the front end. While Pateryn will get some more time in the back.

I have a hunch that although CJ may like Shaw, it may turn up that he gets benched more because of his antics despite being able to go hard on the forecheck. At least until the special teams get fixed up a bit.

As far as ice time cuts, I withhold my speculations as the team in general has been playing poorly of late and its hard to just name a few.

So, what do you think?

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
...the biggest thing he needs to do is get Emelin away from Weber, imo...

I said in the lineup thread, I have a strong feeling Julien will play to everyones weakness.

Beaulieu Weber - Mobile and shutdown
Markov Petry - Puck Mover and Mobile 2way
Emelin Nesterov - Shutdown and Mobile defenseman

or

Emelin Petry
Markov Nesterov

habfaninvictoria

Nov 1, 2007
Victoria BC
...the biggest thing he needs to do is get Emelin away from Weber, imo...

Where else would you suggest hiding Emelin ... other than another team. I like the physical element he brings ... hate the brain cramps that occur if he has to make a decision with the puck... Weber/Emelin not one of the bigger issues we have out there

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
I said in the lineup thread, I have a strong feeling Julien will play to everyones weakness.

...Pateryn should be in there; honestly, I'd still love to get rid of Emelin...for $4.1 mill, he's a liability since Pateryn can do his job...

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Where else would you suggest hiding Emelin ... other than another team. I like the physical element he brings ... hate the brain cramps that occur if he has to make a decision with the puck... Weber/Emelin not one of the bigger issues we have out there

...I disagree; I think it's a huge issue that ripples down our D pairings...if Beaulieu can't handle 1st Pairing (and he hasn't been given a fair shake to do so yet), Bergevin has to get someone who can...Emelin is a 3rd Pairing Dman that gets waaayy more credit (and icetime) than he deserves...

AntonCH

Jul 6, 2009
Don't expect miracles right off the bat
It's a building process and there's just one practice before the next game
It will be interesting to see if he re-unites 27-47-67

Downing JP

Feb 15, 2017

I hope that at minimum we will see 27 and 47 together.

Downing JP

Feb 15, 2017

or

Emelin Petry
Markov Nesterov

I liked watching the Markov Nesterov pairing when Nesterov first arrived in Montreal,to me it just seemed exciting. I could understand if some could see it as ridiculously chaotic.

Also, I think Gallagher will be fine, he's just got back and he really seemed to be putting effort in against Boston despite us being shut out.

Uncle Gary

Apr 12, 2014
I think we will immediately see Emelin moved down the lineup and Beaulieu moved up. Probably will try new lines although I think Therrien pretty much tried everything already.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012

I think we can go at a decent winning streak considering we have a full healthy lineup

habfaninvictoria

Nov 1, 2007
Victoria BC
...I disagree; I think it's a huge issue that ripples down our D pairings...if Beaulieu can't handle 1st Pairing (and he hasn't been given a fair shake to do so yet), Bergevin has to get someone who can...Emelin is a 3rd Pairing Dman that gets waaayy more credit (and icetime) than he deserves...

But my point is still the same... where do you hide him. Not on the 3rd pairing with Markov ... that didn't work so well at the WCH and it wouldn't do any better here. Maybe Markov moves up to second pairing, but again that's a lot to ask Petry to cover up for.

Emelin brings a need physical element, but I wish there were a better option for where to play him. I agree that Beaulieu deserves a better shot than he was given, but I also don't think that Petry is strong enough defensively to make up for Emelin's gaffes. I think that Pateryn can bring that physical edge, which would make Emelin disposable, but that means a rental or trusting one of the young guys.

Personally I think both Redmond and Pateryn were given the short end of the stick when it comes to opportunities. They're both big, and as long as they simplify their game I see no reason why this setup couldn't work. We've used 10 frickin Dmen this year and only had one significant injury ... that's ridiculous.

I'm not sure how the entry draft work, but we can only protect 3, which right now would be Beaulieu, Weber, Petry ... if Emelin is still here, he's exposed to the draft ... why not trade him now and get something in return.

If he's traded and we don't get a D rental

Beaulieu-Weber
Markov-Petry
Redmond-Pateryn

This certainly doesn't seem weaker than we've already got.

euhchepas

Jan 16, 2015
But my point is still the same... where do you hide him. Not on the 3rd pairing with Markov ... that didn't work so well at the WCH and it wouldn't do any better here. Maybe Markov moves up to second pairing, but again that's a lot to ask Petry to cover up for.

Emelin brings a need physical element, but I wish there were a better option for where to play him. I agree that Beaulieu deserves a better shot than he was given, but I also don't think that Petry is strong enough defensively to make up for Emelin's gaffes. I think that Pateryn can bring that physical edge, which would make Emelin disposable, but that means a rental or trusting one of the young guys.

Personally I think both Redmond and Pateryn were given the short end of the stick when it comes to opportunities. They're both big, and as long as they simplify their game I see no reason why this setup couldn't work. We've used 10 frickin Dmen this year and only had one significant injury ... that's ridiculous.

I'm not sure how the entry draft work, but we can only protect 3, which right now would be Beaulieu, Weber, Petry ... if Emelin is still here, he's exposed to the draft ... why not trade him now and get something in return.

Beaulieu-Weber
Markov-Petry
Redmond-Pateryn

yes it does, Emelin is way better than Redmond and I prefer having a puck mover on each pairing so I would take Nesterov before both Redmond and Pateryn.

I like Patern but we have better options than him for now. He's a great 7th D

and btw there were 2 significant injuries on D, Markov and Pateryn

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Without a doubt Julien needs to get Beaulieu to another level. MT never truly trusted him. Too short of a leash. Pair him with Weber. Emelin needs to play with a quicker Dman.

McCarron needs to be in the lineup and Galchenyuk needs to play with Radulov.

Also, if we plan on developing players in STJ then FIRE that putrid coaching staff already!

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas

Beaulieu-Weber
Markov-Petry
Redmond-Pateryn

I like it.

And it takes to get Emelin off the first pair. Which is a must.

Weber and Nate for sure.

habfaninvictoria

Nov 1, 2007
Victoria BC
yes it does, Emelin is way better than Redmond and I prefer having a puck mover on each pairing so I would take Nesterov before both Redmond and Pateryn.

Pateryn never fully cracked the lineup. Forgot about Nesterov. I'm not saying that Redmond is better than Emelin ... but ... I am saying that given the role of a bottom pairing, Redmond doesn't make us demonstrably worse than Emelin on the top pairing... if you can follow that ... Also, if I'm LV and Emelin is available I take him ... why not get an asset for him while we can.

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal

Don't understand how you can say that Pateryn is a great 7th D and then in your very next sentence go on to say that he was a significant injury.

A 7th D is the definition of insignificant.

Untill CJ brings in his own assistant coaches who knows what will happen. There is possibility here of conflicting ideas, strategies and thought processes!

The 1st order of business after firing MT I would believe would be to fire Lefebvre from the IceCaps. That guy is useless.

Regardless of who the coach is, I still believe that Pleky has to go. He's done what he could for this team.

DD has 24+ games remaining in his hockey career in Montreal. If he is gone sooner all the better.

Judging by what I heard from MB today... Sergachev is going nowhere and so that will make any trade for a significant piece all the more less likely.

I still believe we need a top 4 D and a 2C preferably a 1C. Good luck getting that in Montreal anytime soon through trade.

So on to things that Management can control:

1 - Need to sign Radulov to an extension ASAP.
2 - Need to change coaching in the farm team.
3 - Need to impliment the new system ASAP
4 - Need to get Galchy, Gally, Pricey and Pleky going.
5 - Need to trade for impact player or to lesser degree a good depth player or 2. 1 on offense and the other on D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad