Speculation: Claude Julien Hired, What Now?

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
Part of Bergevin's platform when he was hired was 'building through the draft'.

They haven't been doing that much with only a couple of players added to the NHL roster during his time.

And yesterday he admitted they have 'less then five' top prospects.

I'll be interested to see if they make any drafting/development changes this summer.

Sure but it's easier to build through the draft when you are a bottom feeder for a few years in a row (See : Edm , Tor , Pitt circa 2005 , Chi before Toews and Kane etc).

Aside from last year and 2012 , the Habs have finished a top the conference pratically every year. It's much harder finding an impact player when you constantly pick in the top 20-30 range than in the top 5-10 range.

You can always hit the jackpot. Timmins did a few times with Subban , Pacioretty and Gallagher with late picks but this won't happen every year. Guys like McCarron , Scherbak , Beaulieu etc are fine but they never were blue chip prospects.

Let's say we finished in the bottom 5 after 2012 for 2 or 3 years. We would have Galchenyuk + one of MacKinnon/Barkov/Drouin/Jones/Monahan + one of Ekblad/Draisaitl/Reinhart/Benett/Nylander + one of McDavid/Eichel/Strome/Marner/Hanifin. Habs would look much better now and for the future.

MB has it's faults but building through the draft when you constantly pick low picks ain't an easy task

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Sure but it's easier to build through the draft when you are a bottom feeder for a few years in a row (See : Edm , Tor , Pitt circa 2005 , Chi before Toews and Kane etc).

Aside from last year and 2012 , the Habs have finished a top the conference pratically every year. It's much harder finding an impact player when you constantly pick in the top 20-30 range than in the top 5-10 range.

You can always hit the jackpot. Timmins did a few times with Subban , Pacioretty and Gallagher with late picks but this won't happen every year. Guys like McCarron , Scherbak , Beaulieu etc are fine but they never were blue chip prospects.

Let's say we finished in the bottom 5 after 2012 for 2 or 3 years. We would have Galchenyuk + one of MacKinnon/Barkov/Drouin/Jones/Monahan + one of Ekblad/Draisaitl/Reinhart/Benett/Nylander + one of McDavid/Eichel/Strome/Marner/Hanifin. Habs would look much better now and for the future.

MB has it's faults but building through the draft when you constantly pick low picks ain't an easy task
For sure it's tougher but if you want to have a top team and stay there, you need to keep supplementing your roster.

There is a point in a given draft where it levels off and we could have a long discussion where that is from the analysis that I do it's usually later in the first round or early second round.

I'll go further with an example or two...

Habs traded their 2nd rounds so compare 3rd and later for 2008-11...

Habs-Gallagher.

Sens- Zach Smith, Derek Grant, Mark Borowiecki, Chris Wideman, Mike Hoffman, Mark Stone, Jean Gabriel Pageau, Ryan Dzingel

And what about a team like the Pens, who trade more picks then anyone else...

Pens- Bryan Rust, Tom Kuhnhackl, Scott Wilson (add Matt Murray in 2012 and Jake Guentzel in 2013)

We heard it this week, this is a results business and more precisely, recent results.

I don't see them here recently, will be glad when we can all see them.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Some quick notes-

Does Hudon get a legitimate look? 30 points in 31 AHL games with 17 goals

Will McCarron be back for the Winnipeg game? Carr?

With playing Galchenyuk at wing for almost 4 seasons is it a wonder the kid is clueless playing in all 3 zones and can't win face offs? Julien won't tolerate his lackluster defensive game.

Will Pateryn and Beaulieu finally have a coach who shows confidence in Them?

Will we see DD a lot in the next 24 games?

What prospects are untouchable?

Why is it not obvious to this GM that our AHL coaches cannot develop young players?

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Some quick notes-

With playing Galchenyuk at wing for almost 4 seasons is it a wonder the kid is clueless playing in all 3 zones and can't win face offs? Julien won't tolerate his lackluster defensive game.

Why is it not obvious to this GM that our AHL coaches cannot develop young players?

MB continues to show he still ha s a ton to learn. The AHL coaching staff is a joke. And I do mean joke. Fans here in the Hamilton seats at Copps literally laughed out loud at them. Had drinking games while watching what they did and did not do behind the bench.

I am not kidding when I say this.....they will never make the play offs again unless they change the coaching staff. lol

They are that bad.

The team was loved by the regulars here right up until MB took over and hired his buddy to coach. They have sucked from that day on.

Last edited:

Jul 6, 2016
Some quick notes-

How about Timmins crapping the drafts ?

lou4gehrig

Bedard 2023
Aug 2, 2005

So you want him to show confidence in Pateryn and Beaulieu (which I assume means deal with growing pains), but you imply Julien may not tolerate Chucky's defensive game (and not deal with his growing pains)?

All three need exactly the same. A defined role, confidence from the coach and proper teaching.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
How about Timmins crapping the drafts ?

Statistically he is as good as any amateur scout in the league. Not sure what you are talking about.

2013 he has 4 picks that have played in the league. What other team can say this?

2007 draft- Mcdonagh, Pacioretty, Subban and Yannick Weber

Like I said I think the problem is the unqualified AHL staff.

Thank god Lehkonen stayed in Sweden to develop. Danault was developed in Chicago

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
He's already playing much better than he gets credit for around here.

Agreed. It's the odd mistake that tends to blow up in his face. No doubt he has some kinks to work out though.

Could you imagine if he turns into a Torey Krug :amazed:

I'm actually thinking he's more of a Justin Braun calibre of d-man. I'm not sure he has the offensive upside anymore of a Krug, but I think his skating is a huge asset and if he improves positionally, he could be a Braun type. That's the first name that comes to mind though, so I'm sure there are better comparisons.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I think Beaulieu breaks out under Julien. He'll develop into a great #3 or an good #2.

I feel like it could really go either way... I don't think Julien is that different from Therrien. How patient is he willing to be with young players? He has had his successes in Boston, but also plenty of failures with young players.

Agreed. It's the odd mistake that tends to blow up in his face. No doubt he has some kinks to work out though.

I'm actually thinking he's more of a Justin Braun calibre of d-man. I'm not sure he has the offensive upside anymore of a Krug, but I think his skating is a huge asset and if he improves positionally, he could be a Braun type. That's the first name that comes to mind though, so I'm sure there are better comparisons.

Beaulieu reminds me a lot of Gardiner...

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I feel like it could really go either way... I don't think Julien is that different from Therrien. How patient is he willing to be with young players? He has had his successes in Boston, but also plenty of failures with young players.

At least one thing with CJ is that unlike JM and MT he is described as a humble and not arrogant guy. Also a communicator, unlike those other 2. I think the players will like a humble communicator.

True enough he is also described as a dinosaur and may be very headstrong in terms of the game he wants played and the system he uses. Certainly he is heavy on playing good D but unlike the Habs for the last decade he actually has a system which seems to result in more possession for his team , resulting in more shots for than against. That sounds good to me.

Whenever MT did open up the throttle, we played better imo. Don't get why we just did not stick with that. Possession game with a strong forecheck is what CJ said he will bring, and I like the sounds of that. Fix the PK and we are back on track. Can we win the Cup ? Don't know, the lack of a skilled 2C worries me. Think he can set the D up well even without an add there.

We have 6 games between now and including Feb. 28, not many games to assess, but am sure CJ will formulate thoughts of team need as he goes along. Would help if players play their A game so CJ knows exactly what they can deliver. You would think they will. MB might not be able to do anything until later, though we know he likes sooner.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012

True, it could go either way. I think he will though. And yeah, Gardiner is a better comparison. Thanks.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
I really tough that McCarron would be back for today's practice.. :(

I don't get the people who think the Canadiens will get from being soft to being tough in a matter of a few days. It's ridiculous to say the Bruins got tough because of Julien. Look at what Chiarelli's doing in Edmonton and I think it's pretty clear where that mentality came from.

And for every Lucic, Campbell and Thornton that had their role in Boston, there were guys like Dan Paille, JM Liles, Chris Kelly and even Simon Gagné who got extended looks, all thanks to Julien.

I think we're likely going to see guys like Shaw and Pateryn play their game more freely and be more confident to play a physical brand of hockey consistently now that there's going to be a better structure in which they'll play, but I don't expect every single move we make to be in favor of toughness, nor do I expect Plekanec Byron and Lehkonen to turn into bullies.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
Some quick notes-

I'm no scout. But personally I see a lot of good in Pateryn, given a choice between the two Pateryn and Beaulieu.. I would definatley take Pateryn.

Reasons:

- He has a bitter hitting game
- His slap shot is way nastier and actually way more accurate, in fact the shots Pateryn takes appear to be smartly timed and on net.
- He appears more composed than Beaulieu

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad