Claude Giroux's one good season extended once again...closing in on 700 points

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Are there really non-elite players that can put up a 100+ point season in recent years? You must have a very high threshold for "elite". I guess Selke finalists that score 70+ are "mediocre" now too.

Oh.

He didn't hit 60 points the year prior to the 100 point season. And didnt hit 70 the year before that. It's not hard to see why people don't consider him elite.

He's a very good player.

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018
I would hesitate to call him elite but he plays for an awful coach and has mediocre linemates so it's hard to really judge him.

Philly is a strange city. They criticize players and coaches relentlessly during their careers, but after retirement it's hard to find a more loyal bunch. Charles Barkley, Donovan McNabb, Eric Lindros, plus a few others were run out of town during their careers yet are revered now.

How did the fans run Lindros or Barkely or Mcnabb out of town?

The fans had nothoing to do with it. It was the organization

And Mcnabb was toast when he was traded. So, its absurd to even mention him.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
I would hesitate to call him elite but he plays for an awful coach and has mediocre linemates so it's hard to really judge him.

Philly is a strange city. They criticize players and coaches relentlessly during their careers, but after retirement it's hard to find a more loyal bunch. Charles Barkley, Donovan McNabb, Eric Lindros, plus a few others were run out of town during their careers yet are revered now.

Youd hesitate to call Giroux elite? How many points does he need to score before you’ll actually say he is what he is? He’s a solid defensive player, one of the best face off guys in hockey, a top-3 powerplay guy and overall one of the best players in the world.

He just doesn’t get the league wide love for some reason.

Reactions: VP and Sasso09

Johnny Rifle

Pittsburgh Penguins
Apr 7, 2018
Hampton, VA
He just doesn’t get the league wide love for some reason.

Maybe he just isn't that good. He plays in a major media market, so it isn't lack of exposure. Heck, he was on the cover of NHL '13, so it's not as if he's really under the radar.

I think we are just disagreeing on what "elite" means. Giroux is Top-20 for sure, but elite to me means generational. Giroux is very good, but I think that many HFBoards posters could rattle off at least 5-10 players who are better. Unless he wins a cup, outside of Philadelphia he won't be remembered by casual hockey fans.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Um..... no.

tenor.gif

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
lol who are you to make demands like that? Someone has an opinion you don't share, get over it. Hey everybody, if you have an opinion about anything, make sure you justify it to Sorry first. He will tell you whether you can have that opinion or not.

Imagine if everyone got as upset as this guy does when posed the question why.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
lol who are you to make demands like that? Someone has an opinion you don't share, get over it. Hey everybody, if you have an opinion about anything, make sure you justify it to Sorry first. He will tell you whether you can have that opinion or not.
If you want to have a serious discussion, you should back up your claims.

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
Its funny when people talk about the game changing and some people just wont adapt. Like the slow skating giroux in this new fast skating NHL. People forget thats what makes them stars/superstars, they are good no matter what game is the new meta.

I would say a player like Giroux is even better suited for the faster game. He have the brain to find lanes when people just defend in system, skating at full speed at all times.

Same goes for all stars/superstars.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
He’s over a PPG going back to 2011. That one good season is now spanning like 600 games.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vikke

Neutral Hockey Fan

Sep 24, 2010
He's certainly not mediocre, but elite to me is a small group. Ovechkin, Crosby, Malkln, Subban and perhaps McKinnon or Laine is my short list. Giroux isn't as good as those guys right now.

EDIT: Had McDavid on the list and deleted his name for some reason. No flaming please.
Laine and his 70 points is elite, but Giroux (and kucherov, Kane, ect) and their 100 points aren’t?

Logic

Laine is the 3rd or 4th best forward and only the second best RW on his own team for crying out loud

Johnny Rifle

Pittsburgh Penguins
Apr 7, 2018
Hampton, VA
Laine and his 70 points is elite, but Giroux (and kucherov, Kane, ect) and their 100 points aren’t?

Eye test my friend. Laine also scores more goals than Giroux, he finished second to Ovechkin last year.

One 100 point season does not a elite player make. If you want to use that test, then there would be numerous players who could be considered "elite." Kane and Kucherov are in the same boat as Giroux, very good but not elite.

mantis toboggan

Aug 2, 2009
South Jersey
Eye test my friend. Laine also scores more goals than Giroux, he finished second to Ovechkin last year.

One 100 point season does not a elite player make. If you want to use that test, then there would be numerous players who could be considered "elite." Kane and Kucherov are in the same boat as Giroux, very good but not elite.

But neither do Crosby and malkin. I guess by your logic Laine is elite and they are not, right? But I’m assuming you’ll just come up with another nonsensical reason why they pass your “elite eye test” and giroux Kane and kuch do not.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Good winger. :sarcasm:

He is underrated, much like Getzlaf. Both had bad years and somehow those are the ones people here remember.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki

Logic

Laine is the 3rd or 4th best forward and only the second best RW on his own team for crying out loud
Perhaps you should move on from complaining about Laine and his 80 goals as a teenager.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
11th on his team in SH toi. 15th last year.

Pay no mind to that. He's a good PKer, and was excellent when he was younger. Richards/Giroux was a dangerous SH tandem. It's partially that they don't want to wear him down with extra defensive minutes and partially that the coach has his head stuck up his ass.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Maybe he just isn't that good. He plays in a major media market, so it isn't lack of exposure. Heck, he was on the cover of NHL '13, so it's not as if he's really under the radar.

I think we are just disagreeing on what "elite" means. Giroux is Top-20 for sure, but elite to me means generational. Giroux is very good, but I think that many HFBoards posters could rattle off at least 5-10 players who are better. Unless he wins a cup, outside of Philadelphia he won't be remembered by casual hockey fans.
Elite means generational? There are probably 20+ players that can be categorized as elite, and maybe 3-4 of them are hands down generational.

He is and has been elite. He just doesn’t win anything and has had his off seasons that set him back a lot in people’s eyes, but the fact remains his productions speaks for itself. I think people forget how good he was from 2011-15, because he then had a big drop in production.

He has 4 top 10 point finishes with 3 in the top 5, has been a great playmaker, all while being a solid defensive player for the most part. He has Hart finishes at 3,4,4.

It would be hard to say he’s been a top 5 center, but top 10? Why not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad