Rumor: Claude Giroux - Thirst Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
BTW

I am all in on getting him at a reasonable price--just do not think we are high on his list. I can see Tampa going,,yeah--we can use a guy like that and Claude going--which team is closer to the cup...?

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
I think of Adam Oates ending his career with the Oilers and the impact he had on the team and I think Claude could do the same thing--While Oates did not have a lot of pts--he did help in the dressing room and with our centers at the time
Yea.. I can see him helping the players out as another skills coach/consultant.

Someone else mentioned that he'd be a great mentor for Bourgault. Teach the rookies the tricks of the trade and provide locker room presence.

That all depends on what Giroux wants to do and whats left in cap space.

I want him on the team but realistically I don't think we can afford him and where the teams' priority should be at.. goaltending, re-signing the RFAs, etc. Considering he's played his entire life out East.. I just don't see it.

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011
LdYahj3.png

Reactions: Beerfish

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
I think of Adam Oates ending his career with the Oilers and the impact he had on the team and I think Claude could do the same thing--While Oates did not have a lot of pts--he did help in the dressing room and with our centers at the time
The difference is Oates was 41 and completely and utterly washed to the point where he was barely better than a 4th liner. Giroux is a 34 year old who just came off a year scoring 65 points while providing excellent defense, he's an on ice gameplay asset that we should be thrilled to get as long as he's not asking for long-term.

Reactions: alanschu

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
The difference is Oates was 41 and completely and utterly washed to the point where he was barely better than a 4th liner. Giroux is a 34 year old who just came off a year scoring 65 points while providing excellent defense, he's an on ice gameplay asset that we should be thrilled to get as long as he's not asking for long-term.

I agree with you, but just wanted to mention that he Oilers at the time definitely thought Oates had more left in the tank than he did. He was one year removed from an 80 point season and then put up like 50 the season before he came to the Oil. It was a big deal when he came here, and he was pretty much a massive disappointment.

Edit: Looked it up, he was coming of a playoff run too, though he kind of came out of retirement to play for us, so maybe you're right and management would've known he was done. I do remember that he took a lot of heat for being as bad as he was when he came back though.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
I think we should go Giroux over Kane. Kane took too many penalties in the playoffs which impacted some games. This fact gets slept on here. Giroux decent on the dot. You need that depth.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I think we should go Giroux over Kane. Kane took too many penalties in the playoffs which impacted some games. This fact gets slept on here. Giroux decent on the dot. You need that depth.
If given a choice, I'm pretty sure the vast majority of fans and likely the Oilers themselves go for Kane every day of the week. Most of Kane's penalties were ones of aggression, which is what we badly needed, and you can certainly overlook given his goal production.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
It's got the same vibe as Taylor Hall's house being built last off season. Or the season before.. I lost track already.

I’m not sure about Giroux but there will be some significant changes.

The Taylor Hall thing was mostly that fraud Gazzola. He should stick to jersey updates

Reactions: TheNumber4

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
I’m not sure about Giroux but there will be some significant changes.

The Taylor Hall thing was mostly that fraud Gazzola. He should stick to jersey updates
I just don't get how the Oilers are linked to Giroux of all the teams he'd chose as his preference. I've mentioned previously he's played out East his entire career. He's literally got no ties to Edmonton.

I got no issues if he signs here but if he wants to win the cup, he could easily sign a cheap deal in the East with Tampa, Carolina, or even NYR.

Reactions: Anarchism

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Giroux would be big for faceoffs as well.

He could very well be to McD and Drai what Oates was to our centers when he spent his season here.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I just don't get how the Oilers are linked to Giroux of all the teams he'd chose as his preference. I've mentioned previously he's played out East his entire career. He's literally got no ties to Edmonton.

I got no issues if he signs here but if he wants to win the cup, he could easily sign a cheap deal in the East with Tampa, Carolina, or even NYR.

Maybe there is something to the “multi year contract” reasoning. I could see the Oilers being the only one of those teams willing to do that. If he doesn’t want his young family to move as much, it could be a big factor.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Maybe there is something to the “multi year contract” reasoning. I could see the Oilers being the only one of those teams willing to do that. If he doesn’t want his young family to move as much, it could be a big factor.
I wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of Canadian born players decide to start playing North of the border with the “unrest” let’s call it going on in the USA.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of Canadian born players decide to start playing North of the border with the “unrest” let’s call it going on in the USA.
Unfortunately that unrest is coming to Canada, actually scratch that, it’s pretty much already here.

he sacrificed himself for a game to take kadri out for the series and the oilers still lost tho. Avs were too overpowered but Kane did good there
Let’s not forget all the effective shots he took at Johnny which didn’t get called. Well maybe one got called.

Reactions: The Safe Play

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
If Giroux signs here it’s cause he wants to join the current Oilers which includes Kane.

prazskycanuck

May 9, 2022

:loony: If people think THAT is going to convince him to come to Edmonton. good grief. (can't have two in a row!) its unbelievable how they think that would help even in the slightest! ..may as well cross him off the list now and move on.

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
let's hope Calgary doesn't swoop in out of the blue and grab him. Lord knows that's happened a time or two

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Unfortunately that unrest is coming to Canada, actually scratch that, it’s pretty much already here.

Let’s not forget all the effective shots he took at Johnny which didn’t get called. Well maybe one got called.
U r correct, unrest is already here. When were the last good ole days? 80’s?90’s? 50’s?

Toronto is now the new Chicago. No better in any other big cities

Reactions: oilers'72
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad