Rumor: Claude Giroux - Thirst Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
Giroux is from the Ontario version of like... Peace River. If I remember right his family has lots of ties to the Ottawa area.
I'd imagine he wants to win a cup with a contending team, that's the reason why I thought he chose Florida at the deadline. Ottawa isn't one of those contending teams.

If family is more important to him, I respect that.

giphy.gif

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
It's difficult to imagine a scenario in which we sign Giroux unless Kane walks. Having both would be the dream but you would need to unload Kassian, Foegele, and Barrie for draft picks to make it possible. Even then, you still might need space for a starting goalie. Hopefully Holland has a (good) plan.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
It's difficult to imagine a scenario in which we sign Giroux unless Kane walks. Having both would be the dream but you would need to unload Kassian, Foegele, and Barrie for draft picks to make it possible. Even then, you still might need space for a starting goalie. Hopefully Holland has a (good) plan.
I think he's the...

Kane-tingency plan

YEAHHHHHHH

Attachments

• explode-boom.gif
    explode-boom.gif
    2.7 MB · Views: 3

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I'd imagine he wants to win a cup with a contending team, that's the reason why I thought he chose Florida at the deadline. Ottawa isn't one of those contending teams.

If family is more important to him, I respect that.
My interpretation is the Giroux to Ottawa thing might just be that some big name pundit tossed the idea out there, just connecting dots, and others picked it up as a real rumor.

Until I see solid info otherwise, I say GIroux is signing with a contender to get his cup. It's very likely going to be Florida. If he's willing to leave money on the table he could have his cake and eat it too when it comes to destinations. I'm not insulting Edmonton when I say that there'd be so many options he'd pick first. Why not sign in the USA at a big metro?

Of course, maybe he isn't looking to leave money on the table and he's sniffing Edmonton as a potential contender who will pay up for him. In that case, I vote no on Giroux. Our cap is simply not structured to add a luxury add like Giroux at full price.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Edmonton made it to the conference finals with a hobbled Drai and their best dman severely compromised (not to mention a 40 year old goalie as well).

Any NHL player can easily see that this Oilers team is ready to take the next step into perennial SC contender... so if they want to win a Cup... there's certainly worse teams a veteran free agent could bet on.

Oilers

Feb 13, 2016
This just screams of a player using rumours of signing here to increase offers from teams they actually want to sign with.

But who knows at this point. Would sure be nice if they could get him for cheap.
Or Edmonton using the rumour to put the squeeze on a Kane deal! Haha

Reactions: TheNumber4

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
If Giroux signs here we should go back to Orange jerseys to make him more comfortable. He’s also probably used to passing to orange blurs in his peripherals.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Keith retires and Smith goes to LTIR
Kassian traded with 29 to unload contract
Barrie traded for a pick with no retention
Foegele traded for a pick with no retention
Yamamoto and McLeod sign for combined 3.2m total
Kane gets traded to us at 50% retained from San Jose

Even in this perfect, unrealistic scenario of unloading cap and getting Kane at 3.5 we cannot afford both Kane and Giroux. Unless we are just planning on ignoring the issues on the blue line which would need to include re-signing Kulak and replacing Barrie. Or plan on running with Skinner as a #1 and signing a cheap backup.

Time to stop dreaming of top 9 lines with both Kane and Giroux in them. It would be one or the other, if anything.

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
Wouldn’t mind Giroux for the right price. Guarantee he brings more to the lineup than Kass, Foegele, Archibald, Shore, and even Pulju did for us last year

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Giroux is one of my favorite players in the league and a big reason why the Flyers are my 2nd team. 923 points in 1018 games. Age scares me a bit at a high cap but I would do 3 years at 4.5-5M.
He was god about 10 years, completely annihilated Crosby in the playoffs. But he's 34 and his best offensive years are behind him. Might be useful as a 3rd line center or a 2nd line winger, provided he does not ask for more than 4 milion on a 1 year deal.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
He was god about 10 years, completely annihilated Crosby in the playoffs. But he's 34 and his best offensive years are behind him. Might be useful as a 3rd line center or a 2nd line winger, provided he does not ask for more than 4 milion on a 1 year deal.

I don't see Giroux as being done. He just put up 8 points in 10 playoff games and 65 points in 75 games in the regular season. He's also huge on the faceoff with a 58-60%.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Honestly Giroux does strikes me as a guy that will play for another 5-6 years.

The guy really doesn't miss any games and he doesn't exactly play a style that is going to wear him down.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Honestly Giroux does strikes me as a guy that will play for another 5-6 years.

The guy really doesn't miss any games and he doesn't exactly play a style that is going to wear him down.
The OIlers will be quite small and wimpy if they replace Puljujaarvi and Kane with Giroux, seeing how they already have Yamamoto. RNH is also not the most powerful player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad