Classic Wrestling Discussion: Part III & Wrestler Poll

Which 5 wrestlers do you prefer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
And here 17 years later the same holds true. There is still no one in the business who gets the pop Austin does when he makes his sporadic appearances on WWE TV. Which says a lot about the popularity of Stone Cold Steve Austin, but is also sad in a way that not one current performer can even get close to that type of crowd pop. Which to me speaks volumes about the WWEs lack of ability to create legitmate drawing wrestlers in the post-Attitude era. A guy who hasn't wrestled a match in almost 2 decades is still wildly more popular than any performer you have or have had in that time period. Kinda pathetic actually.

I think Austin is the only top face in the last 25-30 years that's never been booed.

Reactions: BruinDust

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
but is also sad in a way that not one current performer can even get close to that type of crowd pop.

WWe seems to have decided that the brand name should be what draws the fans, the wrestlers are secondary. It's as if they don't want to create superstars out of fear that will give those wrestlers leverage

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
WWe seems to have decided that the brand name should be what draws the fans, the wrestlers are secondary. It's as if they don't want to create superstars out of fear that will give those wrestlers leverage

I think your absolutely right, it's all about the WWE brand, not the performers themselves.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I think your absolutely right, it's all about the WWE brand, not the performers themselves.

Seems like the Lesson learned from the early 2000s when they built up the Rock and Austin to be megastars is it hurt the business a bit when they left and the WWe had to fill that void.

Reactions: BruinDust

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Seems like the Lesson learned from the early 2000s when they built up the Rock and Austin to be megastars is it hurt the business a bit when they left and the WWe had to fill that void.

Dumb but true. WWE/McMahons have pretty much said that they want the brand to be the star, as stupid as that is. I guess business can't go down when any wrestler leaves if it never really goes up, so in a way WWE gets what it wants.

If tag team Flair and Michaels had wrestled your top 2 Canadian goats, what would have happened? Assume all are in their prime.

Considering it's Flair and Michaels vs Bret Hart and someone else (probably Jericho) I'd expect lots of drama and a bit of a potato harvest.

Reactions: Say Hey Kid

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
I think Austin is the only top face in the last 25-30 years that's never been booed.

I was just thinking about this a little more. Can anyone name another top face that wasn't ever booed or out-cheered by their opponent?

The Rock - booed against Austin at WM17, Hogan at WM18, Lesnar at Summerslam 2002.

Bret Hart - was getting booed every now and then even before his 1997 heel turn. Also, I think at WM12, HBK had most of fan support (live fans at least).

Shawn Michaels - booed against Sid in 1996, against Benoit in 2004.

Cena and Reigns - obvious.

Taker - I don't remember if he was booed but during face Austin vs. face Taker, of course everyone was rooting for Austin.

Hogan was getting booed in the early to mid 90s.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I was just thinking about this a little more. Can anyone name another top face that wasn't ever booed or out-cheered by their opponent?

The Rock - booed against Austin at WM17, Hogan at WM18, Lesnar at Summerslam 2002.

Bret Hart - was getting booed every now and then even before his 1997 heel turn. Also, I think at WM12, HBK had most of fan support (live fans at least).

Shawn Michaels - booed against Sid in 1996, against Benoit in 2004.

Cena and Reigns - obvious.

Taker - I don't remember if he was booed but during face Austin vs. face Taker, of course everyone was rooting for Austin.

Hogan was getting booed in the early to mid 90s.

Since the 80s, maybe Sting. I don't recall him ever getting a negative reaction and he was basically always a face. I don't recall any other WCW face getting a better reaction opposing him either.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Brock Lesnar too. Spent 2 years building him up and poof he was gone.

I think the WWE realize now that if they do build up a megastar like a Rock or Austin, then other entertainment entities are going to come calling. TV, movies, UFC, etc. Injuries too, the days of guys popping pain killers to keep working through injuries is over. So you can build a guy up to be a huge star, and all of sudden he gets hurt and he's out for 6-9 months or more. By focusing on building the WWE brand vs. building up certain performers, it's a safer investment in their corporate culture, stock price is less volatile, etc.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Limits the hell out of their ceiling tho since none of their performers are particularly interesting. The ratings reflect that

it seemed like they wanted to make Lars Sullivan their next Lesnar. They sure know how to pick em these days lol

That’s why I need MJF to stay the hell away from that place until he’s past his prime. I cannot watch him get watered down. He’d be a bird in a cage

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
If we are just talking as faces in ECW Sandman, New Jack, Sabu and RVD were never booed. From 95 on Dreamer was also not booed but people forget his early days as a smiling babyface where the fans absolutely hated him.

Reactions: ted2019

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
To honor the recently deceased Kamala I watched Summer Slam 92, where he had a pretty short DQ loss to the Undertaker and a Boston Garden card from 1986 tonight, he fared better in 86 losing to Hogan in the main event but he managed to bust Hogan open pretty good at least

Reactions: Kaner9

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I bought a Raven tank. It arrived in the mail. I will wear it 4 days a week. I do not care what people think of me.

recently watched his ECW debut. f***in love this character, and I think his shoots are terrific. Scott Levy is sneaky brilliant

Kaner9

Nov 10, 2019
NJ
To honor the recently deceased Kamala I watched Summer Slam 92, where he had a pretty short DQ loss to the Undertaker and a Boston Garden card from 1986 tonight, he fared better in 86 losing to Hogan in the main event but he managed to bust Hogan open pretty good at least

Kamala busted HOGAN up? I gotta find this match :laugh: surprised he didnt get his future endeavor before the match was over.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I bought a Raven tank. It arrived in the mail. I will wear it 4 days a week. I do not care what people think of me.

recently watched his ECW debut. f***in love this character, and I think his shoots are terrific. Scott Levy is sneaky brilliant

Raven is one of the best gimmicks of the 90s. It fit the times but there were also tons of storyline options that he could logically pursue. I enjoyed some elements of his podcast, though his stammering can get annoying. You could also order some Stevie Richards shorts to go with the Raven shirt.

Reactions: ted2019

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Raven is one of the best gimmicks of the 90s. It fit the times but there were also tons of storyline options that he could logically pursue. I enjoyed some elements of his podcast, though his stammering can get annoying. You could also order some Stevie Richards shorts to go with the Raven shirt.

get some sick boy merch or something while I’m at it

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Los Guerreros winning the belts against Benoit/Angle and Edge/Mysterio in an elimination match at Survivor Series 2002 was awesome

Steiner’s debut taking out Nowinski and Matt Hardy was great too. HHH is a dick for sandbagging their match

Shawn Michaels has Karen hair

Last edited:

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Come on - it's only 13 Grand. If we each put in $100.......

lf

1988 "Macho Man" Randy Savage Saturday Night's Main Event Match | Lot #80221 | Heritage Auctions

Reactions: CDJ and Kaner9

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Was the Boogeyman a jobber? If so it’s def him for me. Dude still creeps me out today. Big Daddy V attacking him was dope

I just watched Al Snow and Chris Nowinski beat each other over the head with school supplies for 5 min. It ended with al snow missing a moonsault onto 4 chairs. I think I have pinpointed the match where the NFL got f***ed lol (knowing what Nowinski ended up doing for a career)

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
The Gambler was one of my favourite jobbers. Barry Horowitz is of course the jobber king. I also liked Salvatore Sincere for some reason.

Reactions: Say Hey Kid

Say Hey Kid

War, children, it’s just a shot away
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
I have a list, but it doesn't include international wrestlers, how much I like them, and some of them are bad in the ring. I'll post my top 18 Canadian or American wrestlers since 1946 in alphabetical order.
Kurt Angle

"Stone Cold" Steve Austin

John Cena

Ric Flair

Mick Foley

Andre The Giant

Bret "Hitman" Hart

Hulk Hogan

Chris Jericho

Shawn Michaels

Randy Orton

"Rowdy" Roddy Piper

Harley Race

Dusty Rhodes

The Rock

"Macho Man" Randy Savage

Sting

The Undertaker

Last edited:

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Speaking of jobbers the Steven Richards/Victoria relationship just started where I’m watching and I forgot how interesting that was. Two absolute f***in weirdos, the crazy couple

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Speaking of jobbers the Steven Richards/Victoria relationship just started where I’m watching and I forgot how interesting that was. Two absolute f***in weirdos, the crazy couple

Weird couples were a staple of the early 2000s for some reason. Eddie Guerrero and Chyna, Nidia and Noble, Torrie Wilson/Stecy Keibler and various guys. I don't know why it was viewed as such a great idea.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad