Classic Wrestling Discussion (as in non-current): Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
In my chronology I'm about to hit the Mankind v Rock Halftime Heat empty arena match (which I love)

Does anyone know if this exists anywhere on the network, and if so where it is categorized, or will I just have to find it elsewhere?

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I don't know if it'd be on the network but I remember watching the whole thing on YouTube numerous times in the past.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
You like Vince's commentary enough for him to be a favourite? How big of a 'manoeuvre' fetish do you have? xD

I love the over pronunciation, the canned enthusiasm, the pitch shifts upon a big spot, all of it

This match is special though, because he rarely did PBP after he became the Mr. McMahon character, and his call is even better when he gets to be a total onesided a hole

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I love the over pronunciation, the canned enthusiasm, the pitch shifts upon a big spot, all of it

This match is special though, because he rarely did PBP after he became the Mr. McMahon character, and his call is even better when he gets to be a total onesided a hole

Was trying to find a good clip of Vince's ohhhhh mYYYYYY GOOOODDD!!

Mr. OSC from OSW does a good Vince on commentary impression. I prefer either Gorilla and Jessie or Gorilla and Bobby. JR and Heyman around X17 was a great pair too after King quit though you could tell it made JR nervous as he didn't know what Heyman was going to say sometimes.

bruins309

Krejci Fight Club
Sep 17, 2007
It was so bizarre to have Vince doing play by play in January 1999 given all the story lines he was involved with.

bruins309

Krejci Fight Club
Sep 17, 2007
Been doing a bunch of writeups for the WWE HOFers, done all but the Freebirds now - http://section309.com/tag/wwe-hall-of-fame/

I think I'll skip Snoop Dogg though I have always been partial to West Coast rap.

Been watching older wrestling of late....and I mean old. Took a break from Network stuff and been watching Youtube stuff from the early 1980s WWF under Vince Sr. Saw a Tony Atlas-Jesse Ventura cage match from Philly 1982 this morning. Neat finish with Ventura going to exit over the top and spends time preening so Atlas goes out the other side very quickly.

I am infatuated with Kal Rudman as an announcer. My goal in life is to be half as happy as he is in this 1985 interview with Roddy Piper.

bruins309

Krejci Fight Club
Sep 17, 2007
After my gripes about WM32, I am actually watching Starrcade 1997 this morning. Shows similar in heels going over almost across the board.

I got Cade 97 on PPV, the 2nd and final WCW show i saw live. The first was Bash 91. Man, could I pick them....

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
Watched Armageddon 2000. The HIAC match is rarely discussed as a top 5 match. The match was really interesting. 6 superstars and the title on the line. Watched the raw after and the story really flowed. Mick Foley as commissioner being watched by vince Mcmahon. 2000 seemed like a fantastic year for the wrestling industry.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
Approaching the 99 Royal Rumble, and jeez, Rock and Vince have developed quite the penchant for dropping 'r' bombs in reference to Kane

The 90s were. . . different

Are you watching chronologically. And if so, during what period did you start at?

bruins309

Krejci Fight Club
Sep 17, 2007
It took me about 7 weeks and it almost killed me but finally I finished the complete guide to Wrestlemania 7. As you read it, you'll see why I don't post stuff like this on the board anymore because of the length. Really, I need to control myself better. I miss being able to write 1700 words on Halloween Havoc 1995 instead of these monstrosities. But don't let it scare you, it's great bathroom reading!

http://section309.com/2016/04/09/wrestlemania7/

Some notes from it:
- The impact of the Iraq angle on the WWF, and how I believe it kicked off a "mini Attitude Era" in 1991.
- I make the only comparison in human history between Dino Bravo and one of the kids from the TV show Home Improvement.
- Why you shouldn't be a curmudgeon like Meltzer and others and enjoy the Roberts-Martel blindfold match for what it is. What a shock, me praising Martel.
- Undertaker starts the streak with the most effective squash in WM history.
- Mr. Perfect at the absolute peak of his powers.
- Ultimate Warrior and his different approach to his match with Savage along with his unique attire.
- Hogan and his poor etiquette with both the Iraq and USA flags.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
So I remember Shotgun Saturday Night being a RAW clip show plus jobber matches. What I didn't realize was the first few episodes were quite different.

They were WWE 'late night' shows with real matches emanating from different night clubs in New York City.

The first episode had the debut of the Flying Nuns (Headbangers), and Vince and Sunny sold it like they were actually female wrestling against men. Until the facial hair become noticeable, then it was very tounge in cheek.

This episode also saw Marlena expose herself to the Sultan so he would release the Camel Clutch. Her back was to the camera though, so the fans on the other side of the ring got a peek, but not those watching on TV. (She was wearing pasties)

Ahmed also gave a "Nation Member" (then unnamed D-Lo Brown) a Pearl River Plunge on top of a car on the streets of New York.

Last edited:

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
It took me about 7 weeks and it almost killed me but finally I finished the complete guide to Wrestlemania 7. As you read it, you'll see why I don't post stuff like this on the board anymore because of the length. Really, I need to control myself better. I miss being able to write 1700 words on Halloween Havoc 1995 instead of these monstrosities. But don't let it scare you, it's great bathroom reading!

http://section309.com/2016/04/09/wrestlemania7/

Finally got around to reading this one. Great read, as always.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
Is it me, or has Jimmy Hart not aged much compared to 30 years ago?

Him from last year.
Jimmy-Hart.jpg

From 30 years ago
14_Jimmy-Hart09_crop_north.jpg

bruins309

Krejci Fight Club
Sep 17, 2007
Jimmy Hart was 71 years old last year! I know clean living can help and all, but wow. He looks exactly the same. I think him and Valentine drank the same potion.

I have two new blog posts:

Saturday Night's Main Event from May 1987

- Randy Savage: Most interesting man in the world, or just an insane person?
- Bulldogs vs Harts during this time: The ultimate in "sounds better than it is"
- How on this show the Honky Tonk Man justified the eventual win of the IC title
- The SNME debut of my boy Ricky Martel!

I also imagined what the Summerslam 1987 card might have looked like had they added the PPV a year early

I did that not so much to rebook but to figure out what they would have done based on the angles on TV at the time. It was too early for guys like DiBiase and Bigelow, and they had a ton of injuries/guys with issues: Dynamite Kid, Killer Bees, Ken Patera, Jake Roberts

The only thing I may have fudged a bit was that in the summer of 1987, they kept Ricky Steamboat off TV and I have him getting his IC title rematch instead of Savage-HTM. And I might have switched around the order of things on the early August '87 TV taping to help with the build of matches (like Orndorff vs Hercules)

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
Jimmy Hart was 71 years old last year! I know clean living can help and all, but wow. He looks exactly the same. I think him and Valentine drank the same potion.

- Bulldogs vs Harts during this time: The ultimate in "sounds better than it is"
- How on this show the Honky Tonk Man justified the eventual win of the IC title

I also imagined what the Summerslam 1987 card might have looked like had they added the PPV a year early

I did that not so much to rebook but to figure out what they would have done based on the angles on TV at the time. It was too early for guys like DiBiase and Bigelow, and they had a ton of injuries/guys with issues: Dynamite Kid, Killer Bees, Ken Patera, Jake Roberts

The only thing I may have fudged a bit was that in the summer of 1987, they kept Ricky Steamboat off TV and I have him getting his IC title rematch instead of Savage-HTM. And I might have switched around the order of things on the early August '87 TV taping to help with the build of matches (like Orndorff vs Hercules)

Great read! Jesse and Mcmahon had a great chemistry doing commentary. A lot of these wrestlers still hung around till the early years of Raw.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg

This SNME episode is one of my favorites.

I always remember Jessie Ventura's commentary when "Kim Chee" revealed he was the Honky Tonk Man.

Kim Chee takes of his tunic revealing a navy blue "Elvis" jumpsuit...

Ventura: Wow, I never realized Kim Chee was such a flashy dresser!

Kim Chee removes his mask...

MacMahnon: That's not Kim Chee, That's the Honky Tonk Man!

Ventura: You mean to tell me that all this time Kim Chee has been the Honkey Tonk Man!?!

:laugh:

bruins309

Krejci Fight Club
Sep 17, 2007
Over the last few days, I've been watching the infamous Starrcade 1998. This show's quality points are front loaded like a Luongo contract.

- They start with a very good "triangle match" between Mysterio, Juvy and Kidman. Lot of dynamics going on with the two LWO guys, with Rey being the reluctant member. Kidman playing the heroic defending champion, then you have Eddie come down to berate everyone after the match. As a bonus, you get 11 minutes of Eddie vs Kidman....which I did NOT know the result of and consequently was very into as Kidman got the win. Oh wow, they built a star here!

- BTW: The Latino World Order that Eddie had was forced to disband 8 days later by the reforming NWO. So much for that.

- I like Norman Smiley very much, but more as the God-life trainer in NXT who helped build the women's side of things. But putting him in a random match with Prince Iaukea? On the biggest show of the year, when Sting, Benoit and Bret Hart aren't even on the card?

- Perry Saturn beat Ernest Miller in a match straight outta Center Stage i.e. the WCW Saturday Night tapings. Hey, Sonny Onoo needs a payday.

- I then fell asleep, the most enjoyment I got out of this debacle after the first two matches. I missed a Scott Norton/Brian Adams tag win over a team that included Jerry Flynn, who was like the Brooklyn Brawler of WCW without all the rumors and innuendo. Also missed the Jericho match against Konnan, who was the TV champ at this point probably as a make good to his lucha contingent.

- Oh but I wake up in time for Bischoff-Flair. Earlier in the show, Flair came out for a promo in the aisle like they would do on Nitro. Why are they promoting a show people already bought? I'm an unabashed Flair mark but it's ridiculous. And even though Flair dominates, Bischoff gets slipped a foreign object via a Hennig run in and wins. So no payoff there. And a run in for the finish....get ready for more of that.

- DDP vs the Giant: they tried hard, but I wasn't feeling it. This was near the end for Giant. But the finish is Bret Hart coming down with a chair and hitting Giant by mistake. Did like the Diamond Cutter from the top rope but when that's the best thing in two hours....ugh.

- Nash-Goldberg: I know that WCW's booker had seen how badly WWF tanked in 1995 with Nash on top. That's because it was Nash himself. Beginning of the end for Goldberg. He goes over here, he doesn't stupidly try to punch a window. Yet another Mad Libs WCW finish: ______ and ______ run in but fail and in the chaos ________ lands the death blow to Goldberg.

Your answers are: Disco Inferno, Bam Bam Bigelow, and Scott Hall with the taser.

- People cheered Nash winning. That was surprising. But Nash never wanted to be an actual heel....he wanted to be the "cool heel" and those guys don't work unless they have have a sort of magnetism to them. And he was never that guy.

In closing, I feel bad writing this. Ripping on Kevin Nash is so cliche at this point.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
It amazing that in 1997 Bret Hart was involved in two money feuds, one that sadly did not have a 'proper' payoff.

Hart/Michaels and Hart/Austin were both insanely hot. Injuries and egos kept them apart the many times they were supposed to fight through out the year.

bruins309

Krejci Fight Club
Sep 17, 2007
Just in time for the 20th anniversary tomorrow is a review of In Your House 7: Good Friends Better Enemies

http://section309.com/2016/04/27/wwf-in-your-house-7-good-friends-better-enemies-04281996/

- Ahmed Johnson: lesser version of Goldberg?

- An Ultimate Warrior "match" where he is literally smoking a cigar in the ring for several minutes. Guess he didn't listen to the surgeon general of Parts Unknown.

- Razor Ramon's last televised match in WWF, and he's kicking out of finishers?

- The tragic ballad of Chris Candido: don't ever mock the phrase "successful surgery" after what happened to him

- The Godwinns: Wait, there was a smart one and a dumb one?

- Diesel saves the best for last for his WWF run: throwing stuff at Vince, stealing artificial limbs, stealing the referee's belt....oh and Shawn definitely helped out too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad