Class action lawsuits filed against OHL, QMJHL, & WHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

DyerMaker66*

As long as we're happy with 35% to 50% of the CHL surviving, it may be able to be done. However, more teams may end up folding because after sharing half their total revenue, they'd likely be unable to cover all their expenses. Most teams have to pay for the venue they play in, along with coaching/scouting expenses, equipment, travel expenses (unless you're surmising that the players would cover those).
That's called a business. If your business only survives by not paying your employees, it shouldn't be in business.
A few questions:

a) Are you saying that players should cover their own tuition after they're done playing? How many do you think would actually put that money aside? Isn't that a bit irresponsible?
I'm suggesting "Free Education, 20k salary and free room and board" isn't as big of a portion as it could (and possible, should) be , and that those suggesting "It's not going to fly" are ignoring what the CHL brings in.

b) Are you indicating that 16 year olds should rent an apartment and provide for themselves?

No, I'm providing an example of the costs associated with living your life, something this full-time job should cover.

Last edited by a moderator:

DyerMaker66*

As long as we're happy with 35% to 50% of the CHL surviving, it may be able to be done. However, more teams may end up folding because after sharing half their total revenue, they'd likely be unable to cover all their expenses. Most teams have to pay for the venue they play in, along with coaching/scouting expenses, equipment, travel expenses (unless you're surmising that the players would cover those).
If a business can only survive by underpaying its employees that business should not be allowed to exist. We have minimum wage laws for a reason. Every business pays for management, equipment and utilities, but most businesses aren't run on the backs of unpaid kids.

Kind of like how the entire NHL has folded because they share half of their revenue with the players? Oh wait, that hasn't happened.

a) Are you saying that players should cover their own tuition after they're done playing? How many do you think would actually put that money aside? Isn't that a bit irresponsible?

No, I'm providing cost analysis that demonstrates "Free Education, 20k salary and free room and board" isn't as big of a portion of CHL revenues as some in this thread are making it out to be and that it's actually pretty fair.

b) Are you indicating that 16 year olds should rent an apartment and provide for themselves?

No, I'm providing examples of the costs associated with not living at your own home. Most CHL players don't live at home, they live with billets. Let's use the Owen Sound Attack as an example:

http://www.attackhockey.com/page/billets

Billets will receive remuneration in the amount of $95.00. per week and will be deposited into their accounts biweekly. Billets also receive 2 season tickets.
That's about $425 dollars a month. Adult tickets are $20 a ticket. The Attack played 4 home games in November. 20*4*2= $160. $160+425= $585 month for housing a player.

That's pretty close to half the $960 I said it would take to house 2 players.

The point is "Free Education, 20k salary and free room and board" is entirely fair and is close to the 50K salary that was suggested.

Last edited by a moderator:

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I was curious about how the lawsuits for this matter were proceeding and found some interesting stuff.

I don't *think* they have been posted before in the thread:

This is the statement of claim for the OHL lawsuit.

This is the statement of claim for the WHL lawsuit.

Obviously, the caveat that "nothing's been proven in court" applies - but nevertheless, they make for interesting reading.

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
Thanks for posting the links -- I agree, interesting reading. In particular, the claim that Berg's SPA was not immediately filed with the league and then unilaterally changed prior to its eventual submission, made me read twice to make sure I wasn't hallucinating.

But as you correctly point out, "nothing's been proven in court."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad