Confirmed with Link: Clark Bishop signed 1 year 2way

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Again, not talking about his NHL purpose (this is a Belleville signing) but a few examples :

Peca 300 K$
Shaw 375 K$
Beaudin 80K$
Andrew Poturalski 350 K$ (leading AHL scorer)
Riley Barber 260 K$
Chase De Leo 140 K$
Danny O'Regan 300 K$
Adam Cracknell 350 K$

Bishop best AHL production was 28 pts in 68 GP. Not that I care or it changes anything for the NHL team but I imagine Belleville is also under a strict budget. Hiring good vets that can produce is important, they have been relying almost entirely on prospects for a few years now. It worked last year and this year, hopefully it works again next season. Logan Shaw has 1 year left but Peca is UFA. Personally, would rather spend 100 K$ more on Peca than Bishop.
Peca can’t come up and fill in at centre in Ottawa, Bishop can.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Peca can’t come up and fill in at centre in Ottawa, Bishop can.

I personally liked Peca much more

Like I said, Peca might still be back or other quality/productive AHLers... We'll see but personally, I think the timing is requiring to have a really strong team in Belleville

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I personally liked Peca much more

Like I said, Peca might still be back or other quality/productive AHLers... We'll see but personally, I think the timing is requiring to have a really strong team in Belleville
I like Peca but he can’t play centre at the NHL level

Simplicity

Dec 23, 2017
Again, not talking about his NHL purpose (this is a Belleville signing) but a few examples :

Peca 300 K$
Shaw 375 K$
Beaudin 80K$
Andrew Poturalski 350 K$ (leading AHL scorer)
Riley Barber 260 K$
Chase De Leo 140 K$
Danny O'Regan 300 K$
Adam Cracknell 350 K$

Bishop best AHL production was 28 pts in 68 GP. Not that I care or it changes anything for the NHL team but I imagine Belleville is also under a strict budget. Hiring good vets that can produce is important, they have been relying almost entirely on prospects for a few years now. It worked last year and this year, hopefully it works again next season. Logan Shaw has 1 year left but Peca is UFA. Personally, would rather spend 100 K$ more on Peca than Bishop.
Interesting examples. Why would you want to spend more on Peca than Bishop. Bishop clearly has NHL skating. Obviously missing some other aspects, but is there anything that is clearly NHL about Peca?

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Even though I was not quoted, I will still take a few minutes to answer that.

The AHL and NHL teams are 2 different entities, working on 2 different budgets. The AHL budget doesn't affect the NHL budget.

If Clark Bishop is called up and is on the NHL roster, he makes 800 K$ (pro-rated per day of the hockey season)
If he is in Belleville, he makes 200 K$

There's no ambiguity about this.

Belleville has its own budget and also has the mission to build the best possible hockey team. What would be the purpose of a sports team if it's not to try and be the best possible?

We have been in a rebuild since 2017-18 (first moves for futures at the 2018 trade deadline) and our AHL affiliate hasn't made the playoffs yet. They were bad/not good enough in 2017-18 and 2018-19 and last year, when the team was really good, the season got cancelled with the covid. This season, they had an awful start, season was shortened and there's again no playoffs.

I think it is is crucial that the B-Sens make the playoffs the next 2 years. We want at least some of our prospects to go far in playoffs and "live" that experience.

So the question is :

If the team lets Matthew Peca (300 K$) walk because they signed Bishop (200K$), is it a good move? Is Clark a "better guy"?

I mean, I'm not complaining (for the people who can't take it) I am asking a legit question... In the end, they might still get a few more good veterans. I'd like to see a really strong team again going on a Calder Cup run. You'll need more than Clark Bishop and the kids for that lol
I guess my impression is that EM pays for AHL players (specifically if they're signed to contracts to Ottawa), but I guess there's a different owner/fund?

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Solid depth and he has good motor/creativity and hands for bottom 4 filler. Anyone watching last 2 Bingo can see the step above he has of most of the guys there.

He's a good target/achievement bar for those kids in the AHL to strive for ... If they want to get their chance they need to outplay /outwork Bishop.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I like Peca but he can’t play centre at the NHL level

But we're talking about the AHL. Nothing wrong to keep Bishop if they think he's a good insurance policy for a 4th line center role in case of injuries but the question is, was it needed to give him as much AHL money. Nothing wrong with his NHL salary, it's basically the minimum

Interesting examples. Why would you want to spend more on Peca than Bishop. Bishop clearly has NHL skating. Obviously missing some other aspects, but is there anything that is clearly NHL about Peca?

You never saw Peca play if you don't think he has NHL skating... Both are pretty good skaters

And again, not sure why you are talking about the NHL. The discussion is about Bishop salary in the AHL. I have said this in basically every post.

I guess my impression is that EM pays for AHL players (specifically if they're signed to contracts to Ottawa), but I guess there's a different owner/fund?

Melnyk owns both but these 2 companies are 2 different entities, and usually different companies don't work on the same budget. I could be mistaken but no matter how this is set up, there is a distinct budget for the AHL team

200K in the AHL is big minor league money though, isn't it? Bishop has never exactly been an AHL star.

That's what I am saying. It's like Ottawa giving 2.5 to Victor Mete. The question would be why?

But anyway, we'll see which other vets they hire for Belleville and what will be the product on the ice. Until then we can only speculate.

Last edited:

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
You get paid more when you stay in the AHL as a vet, nothing strange at all about getting paid 200k as a 25 year old heading into his 6th year in the AHL with what will likely be spot duty in the NHL.

Absolutely nothing strange, whatsoever, in that contract

Haley got 200k in the AHL this year, it's a pro contract for guys who have been in the league

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
You get paid more when you stay in the AHL as a vet, nothing strange at all about getting paid 200k as a 25 year old heading into his 6th year in the AHL with what will likely be spot duty in the NHL.

Absolutely nothing strange, whatsoever, in that contract

Haley got 200k in the AHL this year, it's a pro contract for guys who have been in the league

The Haley signing and salary does not inspire confidence in Dorion. :)

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
To put things in perspective, Haley has a career 0.35 PPG in the AHL, Bishop has a career 0.31 PPG in the AHL. Even Joseph LaBate has a higher career PPG with 0.33 and is on an AHL contract (probably close to league minimum)

Haley and Labate are role players. I mean, Bishop is way overpaid :sarcasm:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Probably a case where a European team was looking at the guy and offering him a decent contract. Have to up the AHL salary to keep him here as insurance.

As long as it doesn't affect the Ottawa budget, then I don't care. Good for the kid to get a bit more cash in his pocket.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Meanwhile Lajoie on the ice for Carolina in the SC playoffs

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Meanwhile Lajoie on the ice for Carolina in the SC playoffs
Kid was ripping it up in Chicago in the AHL.

Wonder why Ottawa soured on him after a decent season as a 20 year old with the lottery Sens, followed by a solid year in AHL in a more approrpiate role. Not like he was going to be expensive or like we had too many bodies for bottom pair LD.

Reactions: Icelevel

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
They traded him to give him a chance to make the NHL with another team.
While having to pick up 2 over the hill LHD and one waiver wire LHD. It was a weird move. Lajoie isn't anything special but we definitely had room to try him over Corburn/Gudbranson/Reilly. I think they didn't like the inexperience of Bran + Zub + Lajoie I guess and went for vets. Meanwhile the "try out" spot on LHD they held for Wolanin.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
While having to pick up 2 over the hill LHD and one waiver wire LHD. It was a weird move. Lajoie isn't anything special but we definitely had room to try him over Corburn/Gudbranson/Reilly. I think they didn't like the inexperience of Bran + Zub + Lajoie I guess and went for vets. Meanwhile the "try out" spot on LHD they held for Wolanin.

We seem to do it all the time, if a prospect falls out of the long term plans we let them go or trade them so that they can try at an NHL career elsewhere. Lajoie was done auditioning for a spot on the team at this point.

His departure isn’t really related to what we were looking for in the guys we picked up. Good luck to him, it’s always a cool story if the player is able to catch on somewhere else and make a career for himself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad