Clarification of Risto's AHL status (Out: Sucker-punch induced concussion)

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
I heard that report, it's true. But it'd against the rules and would obviously set a precedent in the future.
It's not really against the rules just frowned upon.

It's pretty silly that if you act like an idiot like Matteau you can get suspended and then sent to the AHL but it's frowned upon if you suspend a player for no reason so that his NHL team can send him to the AHL.

Hey the Sabres could always "send" Grigorenko down and have him not report.

Maybe there's some truth to Patrick Roy saying that there was no communication between Regier and him after training camp had started and that Roy was surprised that Grigorenko was not sent back before the season started last year and now Quebec and Phillipe Boucher are getting the last laugh.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
It's not really against the rules just frowned upon.

It's pretty silly that if you act like an idiot like Matteau you can get suspended and then sent to the AHL but it's frowned upon if you suspend a player for no reason so that his NHL team can send him to the AHL.

Hey the Sabres could always "send" Grigorenko down and have him not report.

Maybe there's some truth to Patrick Roy saying that there was no communication between Regier and him after training camp had started and that Roy was surprised that Grigorenko was not sent back before the season started last year and now Quebec and Phillipe Boucher are getting the last laugh.

what?

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
He was suspended by the Armada a few weeks before the season started so that he could be sent to the AHL.

CHL players that are not eligible to play in the AHL can be sent to the AHL if their CHL team suspends them. Matteau was suspended by Blainville because he's a cancer but you can also ask nicely to have a team "suspend" a player so that he's AHL eligible if his development is stalled at the NHL.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
He was suspended by the Armada a few weeks before the season started so that he could be sent to the AHL.

CHL players that are not eligible to play in the AHL can be sent to the AHL if their CHL team suspends them. Matteau was suspended by Blainville because he's a cancer but you can also ask nicely to have a team "suspend" a player so that he's AHL eligible if his development is stalled at the NHL.

he was drafted out of the United States Development program that's how he was able to play in the AHL

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Makes more sense I figured there was a reason that the Armada bothered to suspend him right before the season started.

IIRC Grigorenko would need to be put on waivers by the Quebec Remparts and pass through all 3 CHL leagues without getting claimed.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
IIRC Grigorenko would need to be put on waivers by the Quebec Remparts and pass through all 3 CHL leagues without getting claimed.
Yes I believe that was the second part to what was listed a half a year or ago ago when this scenario came up. There's something else as well but after being suspended the other parts fall in place. If the Sabres did contact Quebec to do this like Regier apparently said then it's possible they either felt he would be claimed by another league or they just didn't want to do the Sabres a favor. They may also feel that since Buffalo sent him back for a stint last year that if he continues to perform horribly they may just send him back down again which more than likely wont happen with his contract ticking. I wonder if the Sabres ask again in a few months if they'd be more willing.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
I don't know what the exact rules are, but he can't stay and practice in Buffalo after being sent down. I don't know what other move they could make to recall him.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Apparently Ristolainen is still with the team....it could have just been a paper move. He was seen leaving the rink after the game last night and didn't go to Rochester.
TPS staking a claim on him might have something to do with that. Just sayin'.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
TPS staking a claim on him might have something to do with that. Just sayin'.

Buffalo wouldn't have been allowed to send him down by the NHL if Risto wasn't eligible to be sent down based on any agreement with NHL and outside leagues.

Disengage

Nov 11, 2007
Apparently Ristolainen is still with the team....it could have just been a paper move. He was seen leaving the rink after the game last night and didn't go to Rochester.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabres-nhl/zadorov-shines-in-his-nhl-debut-with-sabres-20131020

Rolston said Zadorov will get more minutes so he's obviously playing another game. Risto was probably just staying in Buffalo because the decision was made so late that he wouldn't have had much time to get to the BCA and they probably wouldn't have dressed him anyway without having practiced.

EDIT: Risto is now listed on the Amerks website. http://www.amerks.com/team.asp

Last edited:

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
The NHL wouldn't say No...he is ineligible to be sent to AHL based on the NHL Agreement with League X?

I find that hard to believe.
It's a paper transaction.

I wouldn't be surprised if TPS has already contacted the NHL directly or via the IIHF to let them know that if he actually plays an AHL game it's a violation of the transfer agreement though, as they've already made their feelings on the matter known.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
It's a paper transaction.

I wouldn't be surprised if TPS has already contacted the NHL directly or via the IIHF to let them know that if he actually plays an AHL game it's a violation of the transfer agreement though, as they've already made their feelings on the matter known.

that "paper transaction" would have to be approved by League officials otherwise Buffalo is playing a game over the roster limit..

Again I find it hard to believe the League Office would allow a move violating transfer agreement.

One of 2 things is involved here... either their is no contract that has been discussed or Sabres have already taken care of it with TPS.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
that "paper transaction" would have to be approved by League officials otherwise Buffalo is playing a game over the roster limit..

Again I find it hard to believe the League Office would allow a move violating transfer agreement.

One of 2 things is involved here... either their is no contract that has been discussed or Sabres have already taken care of it with TPS.
The league checks things like cap space and number of players on the active roster.
I don't think they're responsible for keeping tabs on the contract status of teenaged European players.

As for the two things you mentioned, there's a contract and teams can't buyout contracts.
TPS acknowledges the contract, the player acknowledges the contract, oh, and here's the press release for the contract.
If teams could simply buy out contracts, the KHL would not be as much of a factor and teams would likely buy out a bunch of their European prospects and put them in the AHL right away.
That doesn't happen though and players only end up in the AHL once they're no longer under contract.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
You're the one who seems to be in denial, to be honest. You outright ignore any facts cited that contradict your opinion

What am in denial of exactly? The fact that he was already officially assigned to the AHL while people in this thread continue to say he can't play there? Lol okay then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad