Clarification of Risto's AHL status (Out: Sucker-punch induced concussion)

Latex*

Rasmus has stated multiple times in the Finnish media that if he doesn't make the NHL, he'll come back here. Just to let you know :)

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Rasmus has stated multiple times in the Finnish media that if he doesn't make the NHL, he'll come back here. Just to let you know :)

Pretty old news. He signed an NHL contract which now allows him to get sent to the AHL.

Defenseman Rasmus Ristolainen is eligible to play for the Rochester Americans, should he not earn a roster spot with the parent Buffalo Sabres during training camp.

The clarification comes this morning from Sabres assistant general manager Kevin Devine, and is presumably due to the NHL contract that the 18-year-old Ristolainen signed on Friday night.

http://blogs.democratandchronicle.com/kevino/?p=4706

The Ooh Wow

Apr 4, 2006
Turku, Finland
Here we go again... What´s old news is that interview you linked. Risto´s comments were made weeks after that was published. So no, it's not clarified.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
If you want to trust the 18 year old kid over the Sabres assistant GM, that's fine. He'll make the Sabres anyway, so it's a moot point. But he is eligible to play in the AHL, as that was the original questions asked.

Edit: Do you have a source, by the way? Just throwing some statement out there means nothing without providing some evidence. I provided a quote and a link to the article.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
He should have no choice. He signed a contract and the Sabres own him. You don't want to go to Rochester? Then fine his ass $10,000 for each day he is in Finland. Sick of these players like Nichushkin crying saying they won't play in the AHL, only the NHL or hell go back to the KHL.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
He should have no choice. He signed a contract and the Sabres own him. You don't want to go to Rochester? Then fine his ass $10,000 for each day he is in Finland. Sick of these players like Nichushkin crying saying they won't play in the AHL, only the NHL or hell go back to the KHL.

Yeah, that's just what we should do with the kid we just drafted 8th overall is make him hate the jersey he's expected to ultimately put on.

The Ooh Wow

Apr 4, 2006
Turku, Finland
erring on the side of experience, i'm going with the word of an nhl assistant gm vs. an 18 year old.

Sure, sounds reasonable. How about two 18 year olds? And their agents? All I'm saying is, Ristolainen and Barkov have both said in interviews that AHL is not an option for them this season. I wish someone had asked them why exactly, but all I've read is Ristolainen referring to his contract (in Turun Sanomat news paper, the article's not online.) Here's a link to another piece in Finnish:
http://yle.fi/uutiset/rasmus_ristolainen_lahtee_jahtaamaan_nhl-paikkaa/6796359

Translation: Ristolainen's goal is to land a spot on Buffalo's defence right away on his rookie season. If he doesn't succeed, he says he'll return to Turku where he's under contract. QUOTE: "The following years after that AHL becomes an option."

He seems pretty sure about it.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Sure, sounds reasonable. How about two 18 year olds? And their agents? All I'm saying is, Ristolainen and Barkov have both said in interviews that AHL is not an option for them this season. I wish someone had asked them why exactly, but all I've read is Ristolainen referring to his contract (in Turun Sanomat news paper, the article's not online.) Here's a link to another piece in Finnish:
http://yle.fi/uutiset/rasmus_ristolainen_lahtee_jahtaamaan_nhl-paikkaa/6796359

Translation: Ristolainen's goal is to land a spot on Buffalo's defence right away on his rookie season. If he doesn't succeed, he says he'll return to Turku where he's under contract. QUOTE: "The following years after that AHL becomes an option."

He seems pretty sure about it.

Girgensons said he was gonna play at U of Vermont. I would bet against him ever being back in Europe because I don't think the Sabres want him that far from their roster. If he doesn't make the Sabres he's most likely the first call up. Something that can't happen if he doesn't stay state side. At this point it's pretty much a gaurentee he sees 9 games. I haven't seen anything to make me think he won't stick.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I'm sure he is. However, I'm fairly confident the Sabres understand the type of contract they negotiated with him.

It wouldn't be the first time a front office person got something like this wrong. Especially when you are talking to the head of amateur scouting about something that has to do with a pro contract.

Nor would it be the first time a player got something wrong, either.

This would be something that I would like someone in the media to ask Regier in the next week or so.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
I'd rather he go play where he's happy if he's not in the NHL. The system can wait for someone of his talent

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
I'd rather he go play where he's happy if he's not in the NHL. The system can wait for someone of his talent
That's all nice that you want to play into his feelings, but that's generally not how it works in pro hockey. Darcy already said he wants him as close to Buffalo as possible. Whatever benefits his career is the best option. At this point, that's probably the NHL. Maybe some AHL time to adjust.

Grahn

Nov 9, 2011
Thing is he was already signed by Turku when he signed the contract with Buffalo and as far as I know, according to IIHF regulations a contract of a drafted player can only be voided if he's going to go to the NHL. If Buffalo wants him in the AHL they need to buy him out of his Turku contract...

I'm not 100% sure about this though

Last edited:

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010

Wait a minute here, isn't this entire issue stemming from the fact that he already has a contract he signed in Finland? So by your logic, he should be in Finland.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
That's all nice that you want to play into his feelings, but that's generally not how it works in pro hockey. Darcy already said he wants him as close to Buffalo as possible. Whatever benefits his career is the best option. At this point, that's probably the NHL. Maybe some AHL time to adjust.

Ignoring sport psychology entirely, the FEL is a comparable league the AHL hence allowing Armia to remain there for two years after his draft. If he's not in the NHL (the predicating factor of my post), his development would likely be comparable if not better there. Add to that the untold benefit of a positive attitude on development and it's a simple choice.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007

I haven't seen any indication that he prefers the Finnish league to the AHL necessarily. Ristolainen seems to simply be stating things as he understands them. That is, as far as he knows the AHL isn't an option for him. If it turns out it is, then I'd assume he'd go to Rochester with no problem. However, considering he was already under contract in Finland, the Finnish Ice Hockey Federation and any signed transfer agreements are in play here. Personally, I'll believe he can play in Rochester when he actually plays in Rochester.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
A few things:
- FEL is a better league than the AHL. In large part that's because it's the top league in its food chain and isn't constantly having important players plucked throughout the season.
- Which of the two leagues is better for developing players is impossible to determine and is obviously a case of circumstance: different players, different teams, different results.
- The question of where he should go if all options are available is thus not a particularly important one. If management feels one avenue is better for Ristolainen, that's that. Ristolainen for his part I'd have to think would be OK with whatever happens because we're really talking at most one season in the AHL. That said, I imagine he'd prefer to play in Finland over the AHL because it's a better, more familiar league. Can't be sure though, he really seems to love North American hockey. Actually, thinking about it, I would think he might prefer the AHL because even if he has to start there, he could be in the NHL within a couple months.
- The real question, though, is whether all options are available, which is what Josh asked. I recall there being a debate about this around the time his contract was signed. JFB seemed to believe strongly that unless something was worked out between the sides, being that he was already under contract in the FEL, the NHL deal he signed is only relevant if he's going to play in the NHL. It seems we've still yet to determine whether or not that is the case; if so, it hasn't been made known whether or not the Sabres have worked something out with their Finnish counterparts.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Ignoring sport psychology entirely, the FEL is a comparable league the AHL hence allowing Armia to remain there for two years after his draft. If he's not in the NHL (the predicating factor of my post), his development would likely be comparable if not better there. Add to that the untold benefit of a positive attitude on development and it's a simple choice.

And that takes away any opportunity for him to play in the NHL. You go to Finland, you're there for the year. Start in the AHL, you very well earn a call up at some point and possibly a full time NHL spot. Going to Finland will just delay his NHL career. And Darcy has already stated his desire to have him as close to Buffalo as possible.

And comparisons to Armia are ridiculous. Ristolainen is way closer to NHL ready than Armia was when drafted.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
A few things:
- FEL is a better league than the AHL. In large part that's because it's the top league in its food chain and isn't constantly having important players plucked throughout the season.
- Which of the two leagues is better for developing players is impossible to determine and is obviously a case of circumstance: different players, different teams, different results.
- The question of where he should go if all options are available is thus not a particularly important one. If management feels one avenue is better for Ristolainen, that's that. Ristolainen for his part I'd have to think would be OK with whatever happens because we're really talking at most one season in the AHL. That said, I imagine he'd prefer to play in Finland over the AHL because it's a better, more familiar league. Can't be sure though, he really seems to love North American hockey. Actually, thinking about it, I would think he might prefer the AHL because even if he has to start there, he could be in the NHL within a couple months.
- The real question, though, is whether all options are available, which is what Josh asked. I recall there being a debate about this around the time his contract was signed. JFB seemed to believe strongly that unless something was worked out between the sides, being that he was already under contract in the FEL, the NHL deal he signed is only relevant if he's going to play in the NHL. It seems we've still yet to determine whether or not that is the case; if so, it hasn't been made known whether or not the Sabres have worked something out with their Finnish counterparts.
If the Sabres assistant GM saying he can play in the AHL isn't confirmation, what exactly is? Him skating out of the War Memorial tunnel?

I'm not saying he positively won't go back to Finland. Maybe he will because he wants to and the Sabres want him there another year. It's possible, I guess. But the question was if he can play in the AHL, and the Sabres organization already answered that question.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad