CL Matchweek 5

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
So ... he knew about it but waited until his team was down 0-3 in an important game before telling his players? I don't know whether I would call that sly or badass. :amazed:

It's bs they knew over the weekend.

Still sucks to see and Barca already reached out and offered their services since, they have experience:(

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
It's wonder goal after wonder goal :amazed:
Cavani, Alves, incredible !!!!

PSG with the most goals in a group stage in the history of the CL.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
No.
Just this game, at 4-1 game over with 30 minutes to play, he doesn't put Pastore, ADM, Lo Celso before 15 minutes from the end for some.
His turnover is problematic. Still don't know what he wants his team to play tactically. It seems he has failed to instill his personnal one (quick transitions) nor has accepted the previous one (possession game).
Team seems to be playing on its own.
I don't think that'll be enough against the other top 4 teams.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Barça win the group with a game to spare. Didn't expect that.

Anderlecht lose again but finally scored. They deserved more than they got. Still a really small chance to go to the Europa, if they beat Celtic by 4 goals.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
United fail to mathematically clinch the group or advancement.

Although they’d need to lose by 3 or 4 goals at home to CSKA to not top the group or by 4 or 5 goals to not advance so it’s basically assured.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
broh1zz.png
broh1zz.png
broh1zz.png
broh1zz.png
broh1zz.png
broh1zz.png
broh1zz.png

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
The group stage of the CL is a bore. It needs knockouts from day 1.

Tell that to a Basel-fan.

Some of these games aren't the most entertaining from a neutral's point of view, but there are always some good matches being played every round. And I love that smaller teams (or at least teams from smaller leagues) get the chance to compete. I know how much it means to fans supporting teams like Basel (and much smaller clubs than that) to just play these games.

Quite frankly. Those fans are more important to me than Man Utd, Arsenal etc. fans from Bratislava or New York (I am a Spursfans not born in London myself so....).

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
The chances of upsets are MUCH bigger in knockout games. That's why UEFA created the group stage and group stages for a while, it limits the chance of big clubs getting out early.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Group stages mean more money for everyone involved. Eliminate half the teams in 6 matches as opposed to 2. They're not changing it.

Reactions: cgf

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Upsets yes, but being a Norwegian I know how much teams value getting to play 6 games against top European competition. Risking getting to play only 2 most years would be a huge negative.

And occasionally teams like Gothenburg, Copenhagen, Rosenborg etc. are able to get through the group stages as well (even if it is getting less and less likely every year).

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I know this PL gameweek isn't up yet but you have to believe that after Moreno's performance this week Klopp will finally give Robertson a run of games. Especially since, for my money, Robertson has been better than Moreno in every appearance he's made this season (and I still maintain that Moreno's 'improvement' has been largely overstated and is only being seen as such in relative terms).

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Group stages mean more money for everyone involved. Eliminate half the teams in 6 matches as opposed to 2. They're not changing it.
Yep, money. Hardly pleasure.
Back in the knockout stages, there were less super teams, more spread out talent, and teams could be knocked out early, which meant more excitement and possible long competition for small teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad