GWT: CL Match Week 5

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Also, for those incensed about the Real Madrid penalty call back. Again, I haven't seen it and am not discussing the validity of the push but apparently this is from the VAR rules here:

VAR Handbook states that if the ref checks for a possible penalty, the play is reviewed from the moment the attacking team gained possession. A possible offence by the attacking team in build-up to the play is a legitimate reason to use VAR and to reward the defending team a free kick, if an offence occurred.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Benzema really impressing. He's had some up and down seasons but he's really coming into his own for RM now that Ronaldo is gone. Definitely an argument to be made that he's been the better player since Ronaldo went to Juventus.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
He's going to blow up under Mou. *potential freezing cold take*
It was always weird to me that Aurier looked so good for PSG and then turned dud when he went to the PL. Especially given his apparent talent and athleticism. His acumen was a question but I guess if you play for a manager like Mourinho that becomes less of an issue, probably.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
lol what in the world was that from RM? Literally give up 2 goals in 2 minutes or whatever after looking great the whole game. Obviously that's always a concern when PSG have the attackers they do but still that's a pretty epic level collapse.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Ball boy MoM. Since BM got nothing to play for I don´t expect they will score more than 5 in the last game. I´ll take 4-0. Honourable defeat.

I´ll give Winks some credit for the second half. He went from one of the worst 45mins I have seen by anyone to be average in the second. Some improvement.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Also, for those incensed about the Real Madrid penalty call back. Again, I haven't seen it and am not discussing the validity of the push but apparently this is from the VAR rules here:

Oh yea, I have no issues with them going back to review.

I think "the moment the attacking team gained possession" can be overly broad, but in this case it was about 5 seconds after the "foul" it's perfectly within a window that basically anyone would agree should be reviewed.

My issue is that it's not a foul, it's Marcelo throwing himself to the ground in midfield when a player barely touches him, and that the referee had an excellent view of it, would have clearly seen the negligible contact between the PSG player and Marcelo, and just waved Marcelo up because he could see it was clearly a joke for him to go down. That was the very definition of re-refereeing the game with the added bonus that the ref made a terrible call with the advantage of video review.

Reactions: gary69 and YNWA14

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Jose must have had one hell of a half-time talk. Amazon must be loving that. Even Eriksen showed signs of life thereafter.

But what I loved most with the game was how Jose took Dier off in the first thirty minutes. Make that buffoon accountable for his shit.

However, I'm starting to get rather disappointed with how little Lo Celso gets to feature this season so far.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Against all odds, Atalanta now pretty much control their own fate. A win against Shakhtar and a City win over Zagreb and they're through.

That Dybala goal was fricking marvelous, but I wonder if Oblak maybe should've done better. He obviously wasn't expecting the shot, but you'd hope his reflexes would still get it. Shot had some sting in it though.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
lol what in the world was that from RM? Literally give up 2 goals in 2 minutes or whatever after looking great the whole game. Obviously that's always a concern when PSG have the attackers they do but still that's a pretty epic level collapse.
Varane with an absolute blunder. That ignited PSG

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016

Really only need to watch the beginning here. First thing he does is publicly apologize for substituting Dier early. Would never have expected that from Mourinho. Seems very genuine.

He also admitted that he probably made a mistake by not rotating the team more.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jack Straw

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Not sure he'll "blow up", but I can definitely see him becoming notably better and more important for Spurs.

Not sure if I agree with "greatly". First cross isn't a good cross, but the Olympiakos defenders miss kicks. Second is a throw in. He reacts well so credit to him, but I don't think he is doing anything special. Ball boy reacts quicker than Aurier. Third is obviously great. Magnificent finish.

He still is quite lost at times defensively. He really has no clue as to cover teammates. Against WH he is nearly conceding a penalty again in a nothing situation. One on one going forward he never gets passed players (not that many fullbacks do).

On the positive side he is strong, got a great engine, reasonably quick and decent close control. And I think his "uselessness" has been exaggerated due to his brain farts. Always happens with these type of players as most fans will mostly just see highlights on match of the day, youtube etc. - Aurier, or Titus Bramble for that matter, might play well in 5 games for then to make another mistake everyone remembers.

I could see Aurier becoming useful under Mourinho, but I don't think it is realistic he will ever live up to his reputation from PSG years ago. Hope I'm wrong of course, but I still expect Foyth to be the RB pretty soon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad