GWT: CL Match Day 5

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I still don't understand how the same posters can say Griez fell to the ground before being fouled and Mane did the same but is a foul when the other isn't.

As for it being obvious live I agree. I said so in the thread. So no blame on the ref.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Well, if you have time, take a look at my latest post in the L1 thread. When refs think they don't need VAR because they know better :facepalm:
VAR is fine, but :
1/ sometimes it doesn't really help
2/ sometimes refs think they don't even need it.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Isn't it at the ref's discretion whether or not to use VAR? I saw them refuse to use it on a clear call once.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Yes, as I said. Last weekend, an L1 ref thought he knew better and didn't call for VAR. And two clear as day penalties.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Isn't it at the ref's discretion whether or not to use VAR? I saw them refuse to use it on a clear call once.

Depends on the instructions. I don't know if there's any difference between FIFA and UEFA instructions, but FIFA instructions oblige the ref to consult the VAR or look at the replay himself.

For example, Felix Brych refused to consult VAR / look at the replay during the Serbia-Switzerland game at the WC and got sent home after the game (despite being one of the top refs, and could've ended up reffing the final if not for his "dissent").

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad