GWT: CL Match Day 5

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
A few things are clear.

Verratti should have been sent off at some point (could have changed the game obviously, but it is what it is).
Liverpool didn't deserve to win ignoring that.
How anyone could argue that it wasn't a penalty vs. Mane is certainly out there.

Time to knuckle down and come out hard against Napoli because we've looked a shell of ourselves this season since we beat PSG. There's no spark. I'm not getting on the bandwagon of blaming the midfield because the midfield wasn't better last season, if anything it's better this season, as is the defence.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Well, I thought 100% it was a penalty live.
Then I saw the replay.
Mane clearly jumped into ADM's leg (whose tackled was stupid obviously).

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Oh and the ref pointed to corner kick. His assistant told him it was a penalty.
But again, I know I would have given a penalty 100% if I were the ref without a replay.
VVD's foul is also very arguable.
He takes the ball and then destroys Neymar's feet in the process. 50/50. Tough to call for the ref too.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Well, I thought 100% it was a penalty live.
Then I saw the replay.
Mane clearly jumped into ADM's leg (whose tackled was stupid obviously).

From this angle, it does look like Mane goes down before any contact is made. That said, it looks like it would have been a penalty if he didn't go down and it would have been worse for his physical health.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
From this angle, it does look like Mane goes down before any contact is made. That said, it looks like it would have been a penalty if he didn't go down and it would have been worse for his physical health.

This. He didn't want Di Maria catching his right fot with the foot planted to the ground, he's just minimizing risk.
Here is the challenge from Veratti that isn't worth a red apparently
c5x9wjuox4121.jpg

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Possible.
As I said, I'm not complaining about the call since I would have made the same live.
But Klopp should stop whining. Carragher is dumb as a rock too. When you get favourable calls too (that penalty call and VVD's and Milner's multiple bookable offenses), you don't whine about a potential red card for the other team.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
This. He didn't want Di Maria catching his right fot with the foot planted to the ground, he's just minimizing risk.
Here is the challenge from Veratti that isn't worth a red apparently
c5x9wjuox4121.jpg
This angle clearly shows a red, no doubt.
But that's not the angle I got on replay.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I can't find a replay of Verratti's tackle. The replay they showed here had Verratti moving his feet to the ground right before the impact. That picture however is showing a clear red card.
Anyone has it?

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
The Mane play is a stonewall penalty; even more clear on replay. So yes it is out there. The rest is just meh. The call wasn't made Verratti didnt get a red and Liverpool should have played better.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
Verrati’s tackle was a textbook red and I like Verratti.

Mane’s penalty was 50/50 I thought. I’ve seen many plays like this not being called.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Yea, live that’s an obvious penalty. The reason the ref didn’t give it is becuase he thought the defender got the call. The assistant let him know that didn’t happen so he called a penalty.

On replay you can see that as soon as Mane sees the defender go to ground the only thing he’s trying to do is toe poke the ball away and then draw contact to fall over. He’s dragging his back leg instead of taking a stride and he’s collapsing his front leg before contact.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
The penalty is 100% a penalty. Regardless of whether or not Mane is already going down he still has a chance to play on the ball if Di Maria doesn't body him. No matter how slim that chance is a slim chance is still a chance, while getting bodied reduces that chance to none. It's not just a clear penalty it's a completely reckless and dangerous tackle. As mentioned if Mane isn't already going down he probably comes out of it with a pretty severe ankle injury (speculation, but the resulting contact would have been much worse).

That's something that also bothers me quite a bit. A lot of the time attacking players end up jumping out of the way of reckless tackles to avoid potential injury which ends up losing their chance on the ball and the defenders are not punished for this...they should be.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Lol.
Attempt to injure. 20 game suspension.
Not even a foul.

Same people were whining about Griezmann in the WC final.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
"completely reckless and dangerous"

It's a routine slide tackle he misses by like 2 inches.
Slide tackles are often reckless and dangerous. Especially when they are off. That's why most of the best defenders rarely resort to them. Not that they don't have their place.

Regardless it is a clear penalty. You can't miss the ball and slam into a guy on the run regardless of whether or not he would fall.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I still think it's a penalty. I don't think it's reckless or dangerous. The still looks bad for Verratti. Need to see video. Still haven't seen video of anything else

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I've only seen the picture of the potential red and that makes it look super obvious. Would like to see video though.

For the pen, I'm 50/50. Mane was clearly going down expecting the contact, but the contact probably would have happened if he didn't, although I'm not sure on that. I don't think it's bad to be given (especially since live it looked super obvious), and I don't think it would have been terrible to not have been given.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad