TSN: CJ of TSN threw out these names: Walker, Carrier, and Fluery in regards to TOR's interest (along with Tanev).

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
Hanifin and Tanev are likely out of Toronto's price range on D.

Fleury feels a bit excessive. Samsonov and Woll are solid options to run with in the playoffs. Samsonov won a round last season and Woll could make a difference if healthy. Marty Jones is a fine #3 goalie if one goes down.

Dumba, Walker, Carrier, Lyubushkin, Bogosian, Seeler and Desharnais would probably be the short list for defenseman rentals. A 3rd or 4th + prospect value range. Ristolainen (1.5M+ retained per year) and Peeke would be defenseman with term that could be in a similar value range. It's possible they get a couple of them.
No one on this list is out of the Leafs price range. Treliving could empty the cupboards and get 1 or 2 of these guys. Clearly he doesn’t want to move the FRP (right now) but to say the L
Hanifin and Tanev are likely out of Toronto's price range on D.

Fleury feels a bit excessive. Samsonov and Woll are solid options to run with in the playoffs. Samsonov won a round last season and Woll could make a difference if healthy. Marty Jones is a fine #3 goalie if one goes down.

Dumba, Walker, Carrier, Lyubushkin, Bogosian, Seeler and Desharnais would probably be the short list for defenseman rentals. A 3rd or 4th + prospect value range. Ristolainen (1.5M+ retained per year) and Peeke would be defenseman with term that could be in a similar value range. It's possible they get a couple of them.
no one on this list is out of the Leafs price range

Sorry Ads are going crazy on my phone

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
No one on this list is out of the Leafs price range. Treliving could empty the cupboards and get 1 or 2 of these guys. Clearly he doesn’t want to move the FRP (right now) but to say the L

no one on this list is out of the Leafs price range

Sorry Ads are going crazy on my phone

Walker and Seeler don’t move for mid round picks.

The leafs are expecting dumps with those types offers.

You get what you pay for.

Reactions: hullsy47

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
LeBrun:
Colleague Chris Johnston said something interesting on our Insider Trading segment on TSN on Thursday evening, that he believes the Leafs have tried make up for the fact that they don’t have a second-round pick for the next three years by throwing volume of lower picks at teams in trade talks, which presumably includes the Calgary Flames, for example, in a Chris Tanev trade. But as I’ve reported before, my understanding is that Flames GM Craig Conroy has made it clear to Treliving that it’s going to take Toronto’s first-round pick to get Tanev.

Treliving's HFboards like approach to trading doesn't seem to be working. How odd.

Reactions: Price is Wright

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
The Leafs' first round pick is equal to a 1st round pick. They don't have a 2nd round pick, but that's OK because they have a 1st round pick. Usually a 2nd round pick is equal to a 2nd round pick. All of these players mentioned can be moved for a 1st round pick (unless there is a massive bidding war). Sometimes a GM is not willing to do any business with a rival team or an undesirable GM. So a team can acquire someone at a fair price.

In conclusion Toronto has the assets to acquire players at the trade deadline.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Fine, if they want to trade Carrier then go ahead. I think he's a fine defenseman and still has room to grow. He has good compete, is fast enough to join up the rush and feel like he's a safe guy to have back there.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Best we can do for any of these defencemen is two 3rds and a prospect not named Cowan or Minten.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I've been saying the Leafs should target Carrier for a bit now. He doesn't have size which will turn off some, but has always had really solid underlyings and can move the puck which they really need. He might not cost a ton and would immediately be their best RHD.
Issue is leafs have assets that are either to valuable for Carrier/Tanev type pieces like:

Knies, Cowan, 2024 1st

Or not enough value:

Hirvonen/Steeves/Kokkenen + 3rd-5th round pick type deals

Our closest valueable pueces to 2nd round value are

Robertson, Minten and Niemela

Robertson is in the NHL and a good player. Ideally we keep him

Minten or Nimela would have to be center piece for a deal.

Depends if the Preds value those two over a 2nd + 3rd or 2 2nd type deal

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Tanev will get a 1st or a pair of 2nds

Carrier will get a 3rd + B prospect

They don't hold the same value around the league. Tanev has a long resume of strong play.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Bukala was on Kyper last night said a Hanifin type deal would be Leafs first pick. Along with Hawks 5th next year, Robertson and then a prospect like Minton.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Issue is leafs have assets that are either to valuable for Carrier/Tanev type pieces like:

Knies, Cowan, 2024 1st

Or not enough value:

Hirvonen/Steeves/Kokkenen + 3rd-5th round pick type deals

Our closest valueable pueces to 2nd round value are

Robertson, Minten and Niemela

Robertson is in the NHL and a good player. Ideally we keep him

Minten or Nimela would have to be center piece for a deal.

Depends if the Preds value those two over a 2nd + 3rd or 2 2nd type deal
I think in the Carrier deal it would all come down to who the player coming back was. Dunno if straight picks is gonna do it as we have a bunch of those already so just not sure how much value those actually hold.

We also have Trotz at the helm now so who knows what he will think, If Poile was still the GM I would have a pretty good idea.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad