Injury Report: Cizikas Placed on IR; Wahlstrom Recalled

road islander

Sep 16, 2019
West Warwick, RI
Shocked that Wahlstrom is getting the call this early. Even for an emergency. They must really like what they’re seeing from him.
I agree. It would be very out of character for Lou and/or BT to make a desperation move (particularly with a prized prospect) this early in the season. Or ever really. And yes, I know Komarov and Filppula were sort of desperation moves, but they were desperation moves to fill a roster with available grizzled vets because Lou had to get somebody. This is very different.

Rengi

Jan 16, 2007
Here's the thing I don't get - how did the player I watched yesterday not do very well in the NCAA?

He did not want to be a student and was not dialed in for learning lessons...

EAST MEADOW, N.Y. -- Oliver Wahlstrom gave it the old college try, but with each passing day it became clear: The 19-year-old New York Islanders forward prospect just wants to play hockey.
Selected by New York with the No. 11 pick in the 2018 NHL Draft, Wahlstrom won't return for his sophomore season with Boston College after he turned pro by signing a three-year, entry-level contract March 28. He will attend Islanders training camp in September and either play for them or for Bridgeport of the American Hockey League.
"I want to come to the rink every day," Wahlstrom said during Islanders development camp in June. "I didn't want to sit behind a desk and write essays. It was good for me to learn, but I want to be dialed in on hockey. I want to play and play a lot."

Full article:
Wahlstrom 'dialed in' with Islanders after leaving school

Reactions: dood and leeroggy

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Here's the thing I don't get - how did the player I watched yesterday not do very well in the NCAA?

because his time at BC needs context. A lot of people just stat watched and assumed he struggled. He didnt light the world On fire but his BC team overall struggled offensively and didn’t preform. I saw 6 BC games last year and Wahlstrom for the most part got his chances and created offense. The stat sheet wasn’t indicative of his play.

In his NHL debut you could argue he was one of the islanders 2/3 best players overall against the blues but if you just saw the box score you would say he was pointless without actually seeing how well he played. That’s pretty much what his time at BC was. Also, he really didn’t like school. Not using it as an excuse but the kid just really wants to play hockey. School isn’t for everyone.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
because his time at BC needs context. A lot of people just stat watched and assumed he struggled. He didnt light the world On fire but his BC team overall struggled offensively and didn’t preform. I saw 6 BC games last year and Wahlstrom for the most part got his chances and created offense. The stat sheet wasn’t indicative of his play.

I don't doubt your report, it's just hard to square.

Reactions: SI90

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl

In his NHL debut you could argue he was one of the islanders 2/3 best players overall against the blues but if you just saw the box score you would say he was pointless without actually seeing how well he played. That’s pretty much what his time at BC was. Also, he really didn’t like school. Not using it as an excuse but the kid just really wants to play hockey. School isn’t for everyone.

didnt the kid say something like writing essays was not his thing? That he would rather be playing hockey. Kind of refreshing to read

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Casey in a boot.

I’d like to see for the top 6 while Eberle is out.

Bailey- Barzal- Wahlstrom
Lee- Nelson- Beauviller

Kuhnackl on the top line? When will they learn? He handles Barzal saucer passes like grenades.

Looks like they are trying to spread out the scoring and roll 4 lines but that is pretty odd to stick Barzal between the slowest guy on the team and the guy with the least offensive production. Is the goal for them to grind the other team to dust while Barzal races around like Wille Coyote?

Reactions: bigtim1988

crasherino

May 9, 2013

The two things that jumped out at me yesterday was his willingness to initiate contact and throw his body around and the quickness of his shot/release. He had some real jump in his step initiating contact that hopefully is indicative of his true play and not simply a "first game adrenanline" type thing (no reason to think it is) and his release was just something we don't otherwise have. I saw him let one rip and was so shocked - when my mind caught up I thought "That HAD to be Wahlstrom - we simply don't have anyone else with that ability". If his play yesterday is indicative of what we have coming, I'm real happy.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
He did not want to be a student and was not dialed in for learning lessons...

EAST MEADOW, N.Y. -- Oliver Wahlstrom gave it the old college try, but with each passing day it became clear: The 19-year-old New York Islanders forward prospect just wants to play hockey.
Selected by New York with the No. 11 pick in the 2018 NHL Draft, Wahlstrom won't return for his sophomore season with Boston College after he turned pro by signing a three-year, entry-level contract March 28. He will attend Islanders training camp in September and either play for them or for Bridgeport of the American Hockey League.
"I want to come to the rink every day," Wahlstrom said during Islanders development camp in June. "I didn't want to sit behind a desk and write essays. It was good for me to learn, but I want to be dialed in on hockey. I want to play and play a lot."

Full article:
Wahlstrom 'dialed in' with Islanders after leaving school

When I was saying this over the summer and predicting he was a lot closer than most here were giving credit for, this was one the reasons why. Not everyone fits the generic formula of growth. This kid is ALL about hockey. A few goals and he gets MDC's job when Eberle gets back.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Might as well coin the name MDC Pipp, because we are witnessing that now. Just a matter of time.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
When I was saying this over the summer and predicting he was a lot closer than most here were giving credit for, this was one the reasons why. Not everyone fits the generic formula of growth. This kid is ALL about hockey. A few goals and he gets MDC's job when Eberle gets back.

I actually don't mind him taking someone else's job. I'm still not read to waive MDC. I'd like Martin or Khan Nuckle to be the odd men out. I know they are both warriors blah blah, but ideally I'd like to see:

Lee Barzal Eberle
Bailey Nelson Wahsltrom
MDC Brassard (or ditch him and trade for a real 3C) Komarov
Johnston CC CC

To me that's the ideal lineup. The 4th line has lost a step and it's time to call them quits. Wouldn't mind CC playing 3C with Clutter and MDC and putting Brassard between Johnston and Komarov and us becoming a 3 line team like most of the NHL.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Would think so, wonder how much JHS is kicking himself now, idiot.

I was thinking the same thing and couldn't hel thinking they did this on purpose (calling up Wahlstrom) to piss him off and send a message about patience.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad