Injury Report: Cizikas Placed on IR; Wahlstrom Recalled

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Wahlstrom might be what they need right now. Intersting that it wasn't Fritz getting the call...

I think it means that Trotz is comfortable with Komarov as the fourth line center and if Eberle can't go he'll use Wahlstrom for the top six.

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
Happy to see OW get a chance. Would be pretty exciting if he can produce right away.

Would've liked them to call up Fritz too to give our 4th line a center. They've been awful this year and Komorov stinks and has no business playing center. Cizikas has been either out or not himself so far this year. We need to let him rest (even if its a few weeks) until he's 100% because it's become clear to me that he's the driving force behind that line.

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY
Wahlstrom has been solid in the AHL so far but this still seems more aggressive than I thought they would be with him. Hopefully they let him play an offensive style of game because that's really what his game is and what they need most.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Shocked that Wahlstrom is getting the call this early. Even for an emergency. They must really like what they’re seeing from him.

Reactions: Rengi

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
Happy to see OW get a chance. Would be pretty exciting if he can produce right away.

Would've liked them to call up Fritz too to give our 4th line a center. They've been awful this year and Komorov stinks and has no business playing center. Cizikas has been either out or not himself so far this year. We need to let him rest (even if its a few weeks) until he's 100% because it's become clear to me that he's the driving force behind that line.
I don't think this is a major problem, the lack of a 4th center. You roll three lines (instead of 4) and that's it! The problem comes mainly from the fact that the first three lines didnt do much either so far. Barzal has only 2 assists and Brassard only one.

The good thing about rolling three lines is that you give your offensive players a better ice time and maybe that will allow them to produce more and be back on track.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Shocked that Wahlstrom is getting the call this early. Even for an emergency. They must really like what they’re seeing from him.

There aren't many options for top six players. Ho-Sang hasn't reported so he hasn't played in a while, Koivula is hurt, Fritz is a bottom 6 guy. Bellows is really the only other option and plays the other side.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
There aren't many options for top six players. Ho-Sang hasn't reported so he hasn't played in a while, Koivula is hurt, Fritz is a bottom 6 guy. Bellows is really the only other option and plays the other side.

So this probably has More to do with Eberle’s status?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
So this probably has More to do with Eberle’s status?

I think so. There are plenty of bottom six guys who could've been brought in to play center and they went for a top six skill guy. I'd guess it means they're uncertain about Eberle's health and want a back up plan in case he can't go. Placing Cizikas on IR and having it be retroactive means that they can have the insurance policy without needing to place Eberle on IR just yet.

Reactions: SI90

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Can Wahlstrom steal a job right now? I know this is an emergency fill in, What would he need to do to stay up once Eberle returns?

I like giving him a taste of NHL ice as he is more complimentary to the team then JHS since we need someone who can bury it. Ho-Sang wasn't going to score more then 10 or 12 goals ...

Reactions: xECK29x

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Can Wahlstrom steal a job right now? I know this is an emergency fill in, What would he need to do to stay up once Eberle returns?

I like giving him a taste of NHL ice as he is more complimentary to the team then JHS since we need someone who can bury it. Ho-Sang wasn't going to score more then 10 or 12 goals ...

Ho-Sang fits on the third line with Brassard, but that's not to be I guess. Wahlstrom should fit in the top six with either Bailey or Barzal. Who gets waived if he has success?

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Ho-Sang fits on the third line with Brassard, but that's not to be I guess. Wahlstrom should fit in the top six with either Bailey or Barzal. Who gets waived if he has success?

If Brassard continues to be the worst player on the team, I could see it being him - I think to get the most out of Cizikas, he needs to play with guys who can finish. Once he is back and healthy I really feel he should be on the 3rd Line despite the history and accompanying sentiment that there is a special synergy with him , Martin & Cal.

Fritz or Komarov as 4C

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015

If he puts up points without being a liability he’ll stay up

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
I would Gather MDC if Wally sticks at this point. MDC is worthless and is not an NHL caliber player.

MDC is a great guy, hard worker and likable - you want to root for him, but you also want some offense, he doesn't generate it nor has he demonstrated any real finishing ability in regular season games. 3G and 4A through 37 contests, I imagine he could figure it out one day and break out but it's unlikely. The scoring he is going to bring is comparable to Kuhnackl.

And despite what the fans who watch the game while their fast forwarding the frame say, he is not fast, there are slower skaters but the only thing he does consistently well is battle along the boards. That is not enough to keep a job, there are 100 guys in the AHL who will do the same thing if they got a chance to get a job as a regular.

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
Hopefully Wahlstrom will get to play while here AND Eberle is back in the lineup soon. With Eberle out, I'd like to see the following lines tonight:

Lee-Barzal-Wahlstrom
Beauvillier-Nelson-Bailey
Dal Colle-Brassard-Kuhnackl
Martin/Johnston-Komarov-Clutterbuck

Hopefulyl Zeeker isn't out long. Our depth is rough. If 2 of our forwards go down,m you're looking at Johnston/Kuhnackl getting regular time and that's with martin, Clutter, Komarov etc swtill in the lineup.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
If Brassard continues to be the worst player on the team, I could see it being him - I think to get the most out of Cizikas, he needs to play with guys who can finish. Once he is back and healthy I really feel he should be on the 3rd Line despite the history and accompanying sentiment that there is a special synergy with him , Martin & Cal.

Fritz or Komarov as 4C
MM and CC haven't been the same this year, so I think the 'synergy' is less relevant. I could easily see Cizikas as 3C. For now, with Brassard not doing much, I could see him dropped to 4C, with Leo at 3C back with Beau.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad