Injury Report: Cizikas Placed on IR; Wahlstrom Recalled

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
I actually don't mind him taking someone else's job. I'm still not read to waive MDC. I'd like Martin or Khan Nuckle to be the odd men out. I know they are both warriors blah blah, but ideally I'd like to see:

Lee Barzal Eberle
Bailey Nelson Wahsltrom
MDC Brassard (or ditch him and trade for a real 3C) Komarov
Johnston CC CC

To me that's the ideal lineup. The 4th line has lost a step and it's time to call them quits. Wouldn't mind CC playing 3C with Clutter and MDC and putting Brassard between Johnston and Komarov and us becoming a 3 line team like most of the NHL.
No Beau? Oh No!! :D

I really thought that Kuhn looked good with Barzy, fit the line nice. They had some pretty decent o-zone time, and were solid defensively, if I remember correctly.

Maybe this will be a road game lineup? Make it harder for the opposing team to match lines? IDK...

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
No Beau? Oh No!! :D

I really thought that Kuhn looked good with Barzy, fit the line nice. They had some pretty decent o-zone time, and were solid defensively, if I remember correctly.

Maybe this will be a road game lineup? Make it harder for the opposing team to match lines? IDK...

Damn, I knew I was missing somebody lol...and thank god, because I'd rather have Beau in there than Johnston. Think if Wahlstrom plays the way he appears to be, MDC days could be number if / when Ladd comes back. I'm trying not to go overboard here with my feelings on Wahlstrom, but for a kid playing his first NHL game, it was actually way better than Barzal or Beau's first NHL game. That's very satisfying!

Reactions: dood

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I actually don't mind him taking someone else's job. I'm still not read to waive MDC. I'd like Martin or Khan Nuckle to be the odd men out. I know they are both warriors blah blah, but ideally I'd like to see:

Lee Barzal Eberle
Bailey Nelson Wahsltrom
MDC Brassard (or ditch him and trade for a real 3C) Komarov
Johnston CC CC

To me that's the ideal lineup. The 4th line has lost a step and it's time to call them quits. Wouldn't mind CC playing 3C with Clutter and MDC and putting Brassard between Johnston and Komarov and us becoming a 3 line team like most of the NHL.
JMO - we can't fully judge the 4th line until Casey is back. I'm interested in seeing how RJ does with CC/CC as opposed to MM there. The 4th line has always been greater than the sum of its parts. Whether that continues to be true and those guys just work really well with each other, remains to be seen. Can Ross slip in there seamlessly and have the line not miss a step, or even improve? I dunno, but would like to see what happens.

Its a long season and there's nothing wrong with guys taking a seat occasionally and other guys stepping in. I'm guessing that Martin will be back in against WPG after Ross got some ice time. At this point, both guys deserve to be out there.

Reactions: LeapOnOver and dood

Axel574

Dec 9, 2015
Damn, I knew I was missing somebody lol...and thank god, because I'd rather have Beau in there than Johnston. Think if Wahlstrom plays the way he appears to be, MDC days could be number if / when Ladd comes back. I'm trying not to go overboard here with my feelings on Wahlstrom, but for a kid playing his first NHL game, it was actually way better than Barzal or Beau's first NHL game. That's very satisfying!

Didn't Tito score a goal vs. the Habs in his first game? Or was that just his first game playing in his home town. I don't recall.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Didn't Tito score a goal vs. the Habs in his first game? Or was that just his first game playing in his home town. I don't recall.

It was his first game in MTL. Barzal and Beau both got a 9 game look. Beau got the first game, and looked shaky, then Barzal got the 2nd game and he took a bad penalty, then tried to play the puck while still in the box and took another. Beau got the third game and started to get comfortable and he stayed, Barzal went back to Juniors. I always assert that if Barzal had gotten game 1 he would have stayed over Beau. Beau basically got the "ho-shot" on getting acclimated. Of course, I have no idea what happens in practice, but that's just my two cents. Wahlstrom looked better than both in his first NHL game, that's for sure.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I agree with Trotz: I'd rather have Leo on the boards, where he's most effective, but it's good to know he can fill at C if necessary.
I think Leo in with Clutterbuck and Martin may be the most seemless. Trotz likes his 4th lines to bring in some energy and hitting. It's his safety valve when games tend to get away from the team. It's hard to replace Cizikas, but short term it should be fine.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I think Leo in with Clutterbuck and Martin may be the most seemless. Trotz likes his 4th lines to bring in some energy and hitting. It's his safety valve when games tend to get away from the team. It's hard to replace Cizikas, but short term it should be fine.
He's certainly the best fill-in for Cizikas that we have at the moment, but I'd like to have both!

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
It was his first game in MTL. Barzal and Beau both got a 9 game look. Beau got the first game, and looked shaky, then Barzal got the 2nd game and he took a bad penalty, then tried to play the puck while still in the box and took another. Beau got the third game and started to get comfortable and he stayed, Barzal went back to Juniors. I always assert that if Barzal had gotten game 1 he would have stayed over Beau. Beau basically got the "ho-shot" on getting acclimated. Of course, I have no idea what happens in practice, but that's just my two cents. Wahlstrom looked better than both in his first NHL game, that's for sure.
Both should have returned to their junior teams, not just Barzal. Beauvillier did well after nine games, but keeping him with the team and using him as a stop-gap was not a good idea from Snow/Capuano. I think that has hurt the development of Beauvillier.

Reactions: dood

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
He's certainly the best fill-in for Cizikas that we have at the moment, but I'd like to have both!
Komarov at center is nothing you’d want for more than a game or 2. Good in a pinch but that’s it.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Komarov at center is nothing you’d want for more than a game or 2. Good in a pinch but that’s it.
And being that Eberle went down on Saturday and he's not making this trip, the team could IR him and bring up Fritz. Start Fritz at #4C, scratch MDC (or Mooseknuckle), and we're good to go.

If Ebs isn't going to play on Thursday or Saturday, they aren't losing anything by putting him on IR. Being that they're already tapping into their emergency Center (in Komarov), if something random happens prior to game time (Barzal or Nelson taking a puck to the face during warmups), they'd be wise to have another body anyway besides Martin.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
On the bright side, maybe Wahlstrom will make it impossible to send him back.

We already knew Lou thought he was very close to making it from training camp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad