Post-Game Talk: City of Bridges | Hawks 10, Pens 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Pens had a bunch of ugly losses on the road to start last year as well, i guess its just the cup hangover.

I actually thought the 5-1 lose to Nashville last year was worse then this.

Nashville's team had the flu, half the team played the game though the flu, the other half were players from their AHL team.

That was more embarrassing this this game IMO.

EliteGoaltending

Jan 7, 2016
I still think Reaves can be #13-14.
Basically treated as a Sestito that doesn't need to be sent down.
I say that cuz Kuhn is really pretty putrid 5on5 and Archie should see games over him.
Agree with both points. But most likely we will see Reaves as a regular.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
^^ The CBJ beatdown (Friday night?) was the bad one around here for users losing their minds. I won't forget that one. I think we lost thread searching in the migration but sometimes I love going back there and seeing the same posters crying today, losing their mind. Or even better... I love looking through Stanley Cup GDTs and not seeing certain names post when things are good only to run to HF when things aren't as nice.

Reactions: ElK15

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Yeah...Chicago definitely played that one for Bryan Bickell, so I didn't expect our guys to win. I never imagined they'd put up 10 though. Nashville is probably going to be a rough one too.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Look, i have been one of the largest critics of the Reaves trade, and do see a lot of comparisons tween him and Glass, but I also know that we swapped a heck of a lot of two season plus players off the team, and when you replace guys it takes a while to understand how they play in certain situations and what they are most apt to do so its harder to compensate at first...

The ultimate judgment on any of the offseason moves won't come after game 2...or 10... or maybe even 20.... many guys we brought in took half a season to really produce....

Reactions: Darth Vitale

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
Geno's defensive ability is directly tied to his engagement in the game. If you see him coming deep, pestering opponents, and getting those Datsyukian type takeaways he is capable of, then buckle up because he is going to have a BeastMode type of night.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Look, i have been one of the largest critics of the Reaves trade, and do see a lot of comparisons tween him and Glass, but I also know that we swapped a heck of a lot of two season plus players off the team, and when you replace guys it takes a while to understand how they play in certain situations and what they are most apt to do so its harder to compensate at first...

The ultimate judgment on any of the offseason moves won't come after game 2...or 10... or maybe even 20.... many guys we brought in took half a season to really produce....

I don't really have an issue with Reaves. It is the idea that this a new thing. Look at JR's words on Petan and how he can fight.

Why does a team that won two cups scoring a shit ton of goals and being fast need big guys that hit and fight?

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

That's called having a rational view instead of spouting off irrational anger. I like it. I had the same take on Reaves coming in, but 2 games is not fair to analyze the situation. Have to see how it develops.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Nashville is going to be tough on Saturday, you know they are going to want revenge. Hopefully last nights ass kicking will get the Pens ready to come out of flying.

Geno's defensive ability is directly tied to his engagement in the game. If you see him coming deep, pestering opponents, and getting those Datsyukian type takeaways he is capable of, then buckle up because he is going to have a BeastMode type of night.

Yeah he can be amazing defensively at times, other times just going through the motions. But in the playoffs he has been pretty damn consistent with his defensive effort so it's hard to complain. Having Cullen was a huge advantage though in the last 2 seasons and unless we bring in a 4C or 3C who is strong defensively Crosby and Malkin are going to have even more responsibility this season (which also makes the Sid+kids and Geno+Kessel lines harder to justify imo).

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
I get he Reaves hate, I was a huge fan of him in St Louis and I would bet by the end of the season most of this board will be also, People have know for a while that Niemi is horrid but I was really disappointed by Murry in both games, as someone who picked him up in a a league thinking he would get more starts this year. I know its only two games but am I the only one worried? How did he look in preseason?

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office

I even kick the can further down the road, but I am not just doing it with Reaves. I am doing it with the entire time. I have learned to save my judgements till 82 games have been played. The hockey season is a LONG one, without even taking the Post Season into account. I even looked at last night, couldn't watch the game because I had stuff to do with my kids but I kept looking at my phone every time it would "ding" and when it got to the end I had the thought "Hell 1 - 10, that sucks...." And that was the extent of it. Now that's not to say as the further the season goes and this team goes through more ups and downs I wont be fully invested and not so mellow about it. But we are coming off of a back to back Championship and we are going into game #3... In early October...

I just can't help but laugh a bit as I sit like this about the Pens right now...

42ce19b109736792e2e0fc7db51ba9ad.jpg

While most people are like this...

end-nigh.jpg

Reactions: Darth Vitale

Woodrow

Dec 8, 2005
The team looked like they had no motivation to even try whatsoever. Could be in for a really rough start to this season because we don't have any impact players that are hungry. Could see a real cup hangover.

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017
Well boys we got our asses whupped, normally id be pissed but after 2 consecutive cups, who cares about games like these in early season. Its clear the Pens are not trying that hard, and to make matters worse, other teams are playing with a chip on their shoulder against us.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Thank you for the clarification. I never really thought of that but I guess it is possible

I don't think it would be the whole problem but I wonder if there's an effect.

When everything goes wrong, you have to look at the coaches first and foremost. Maybe it was just Sullivan couldn't get through to them that day and the Hawks were all super fired up - we'll have more proof over the next few weeks - but I doubt it. That thrashing was totally in line with a number of other outings against good teams from last year; they wanted to boss it, we weren't that interested, and Sullivan's system falls apart rapidly when we're not the fastest, hardest working team on the ice. Throw in a bunch of guys failing to read each other and its a recipe for disaster. Sully's system is great for the play-offs - its a bit of a struggle in October.

My guess is he needs to simplify things and let the players work their way up to executing the full system.

I think a lot of it is about finding a middle ground for the effort/style they play. If they can't do playoff mode the entire time and I think they can't then it becomes about finding something good enough. Some of it's the system needing a lot of effort and some of it's the forwards not being bothered defensively at all. I'm sure they're embarrassed enough from this to come out full steam against Nashville but that's not the big picture problem.

Honestly, this is nothing new. It happened last season when they got steamrolled and it was a season of 70% effort or whatever on the team defense front. If there's a problem with the system being too demanding and players feeling more tired than before then it's time to start subbing some guys out to rest them. Let players like Archibald and Ruhwedel get some games and go flat out. It's not ideal but neither is shit like this if it starts happening regularly.

I really want Hornqvist back.

Reactions: Peat

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
There is no way I can accept a Fatty McLardy username unless you are directly related to Big Mclargehuge. :laugh:

Fordy

May 28, 2008
can't summon much emotion for these games and idk how anyone else is. i'm down to lose every game until december. only thing i really care about is minutes guys are getting. speaking of how much did everyone play in this one

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
I don't really have an issue with Reaves. It is the idea that this a new thing. Look at JR's words on Petan and how he can fight.

Why does a team that won two cups scoring a **** ton of goals and being fast need big guys that hit and fight?

People are obviously free to not like Reaves but this argument doesn't hold water for me no matter how many times people say it. They got ONE player that plays this way, and a fourth liner no less. It's a small ingredient they felt they could use. The necessity of it I have my doubts about, but regardless it doesn't change the team's look hardly at all, if at all.

Reactions: Sidney the Kidney

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
People are obviously free to not like Reaves but this argument doesn't hold water for me no matter how many times people say it. They got ONE player that plays this way, and a fourth liner no less. It's a small ingredient they felt they could use. The necessity of it I have my doubts about, but regardless it doesn't change the team's look hardly at all, if at all.

Yeah, I think the bigger issue is Carter Rowney is centering that line instead of Cullen. Puck movement, transition, and offense typically runs through the center. So having an offensively challenged center is a bigger issue than having an offensively challenged winger, whose main job is just to go North/South along the wall, bang on the boards and drive the net.

I think if/when JR brings in a 3C and a guy like McKegg is dropped to 4C or a new 4C is also brought in, that fourth line will look a bit better.

I don't think one guy, particularly a winger, can completely destroy a team's identity the way some folks are making it sound. I think it's just a case of not having the right center at the moment (and I was a fan of Rowney's going in -- he's clearly not the right mix for how the 4th line is constructed).

turd

Feb 1, 2013
I don’t know that I ever saw Tanner Glass hustle back on the backcheck and lift a stick to prevent a goal like Reaves did last night. I think he’s played fine for what he’s supposed to do.

The amount of talk centered around a fourth line player after the team got their asses handed to them, is pretty crazy and probably par for the course. Kinda surprised no one blamed the Lovejoy/Despres trade for the outcome of the game...

Reactions: Sidney the Kidney

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Yeah, I think the bigger issue is Carter Rowney is centering that line instead of Cullen. Puck movement, transition, and offense typically runs through the center. So having an offensively challenged center is a bigger issue than having an offensively challenged winger, whose main job is just to go North/South along the wall, bang on the boards and drive the net.

I think if/when JR brings in a 3C and a guy like McKegg is dropped to 4C or a new 4C is also brought in, that fourth line will look a bit better.

I don't think one guy, particularly a winger, can completely destroy a team's identity the way some folks are making it sound. I think it's just a case of not having the right center at the moment (and I was a fan of Rowney's going in -- he's clearly not the right mix for how the 4th line is constructed).

I agree. I think while Reaves contributes to the bottom six being less offensively capable, it’s more a problem of the whole bottom six. Reaves in and of himself doesn’t move the needle a ton either way. Plus I mean Christ he’s on a new team. I think it’s a little early for the “see???” kind of posts.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC

Why does a team that won two cups scoring a **** ton of goals and being fast need big guys that hit and fight?

What about having a team that scores a ton of goal, is fast AND has a big guy or two that can hit and fight?

You might not like to hear this, but JR set out to improve the team in the off-season. He saw a weakness and he filled the hole.

Who is Petan that JR was talking about? Nic Petan of the Jets? 5-9, 179-pound Nic Petan? Why was JR speaking about a Winnipeg Jets player.

I get he Reaves hate, I was a huge fan of him in St Louis and I would bet by the end of the season most of this board will be also, People have know for a while that Niemi is horrid but I was really disappointed by Murry in both games, as someone who picked him up in a a league thinking he would get more starts this year. I know its only two games but am I the only one worried? How did he look in preseason?

I am not concerned about Murray. If he clearly cannot handle a 60-game load, then call up Jarry to split the duties. Murray is money in the playoffs, so whatever we have to do to get him ready for the playoffs, so be it.

Reactions: lastcupever75

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Sorry, I meant Pedan.

Here's the quote.

“We had a chance to get a draft pick and another good young defenseman, who’s a different type of defenseman — big and strong and tough and can skate very good for a big guy,” Rutherford said. “Still needs a little bit of work. Certainly Pedan, at some point, will have a chance to play.”

Rutherford said. “He’s very physical and can fight with anybody.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad