CIS off season (Recruiting)

Bob Stauffer

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Re:Alberta

University of Alberta Head Coach Ian Herbers confirmed on "Oilers Now" today that former Phoenix 4th rounder' Justin Weller accompanied the Alberta contingent to Halifax and will suit up for the Golden Bears next season, assuming his injury issues settle down.
Weller is a 6'2", 210 pound right shot D who played five full seasons with the Red Deer Rebels and two seasons in the minors.
He was a teammate of current Golden Bears Brett Ferguson and Colin Archer with the Rebels.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
University of Alberta Head Coach Ian Herbers confirmed on "Oilers Now" today that former Phoenix 4th rounder' Justin Weller accompanied the Alberta contingent to Halifax and will suit up for the Golden Bears next season, assuming his injury issues settle down.
Weller is a 6'2", 210 pound right shot D who played five full seasons with the Red Deer Rebels and two seasons in the minors.
He was a teammate of current Golden Bears Brett Ferguson and Colin Archer with the Rebels.

The rich ger richer!

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC

The rich ger richer!

Too bad he won't be able to use his CHL scholarship. Though I'm sure the athletic scholarship from Alberta will cover a lot.

Fan of the Vreds

Mar 27, 2008
Fredericton
Let the Rumors Fly

I understand it's early and some of these are rumors at best but hopefully it will spark some conversation!
D - Austyn Hardie - SMU
D - Jessie Lessier - SMU
F - Stephen Anderson - UPEI
D - Ryan MacKinnon - UPEI
F - Olivier Caouette - UQTR
F - Frederic Gamelin - UQTR
D - Charles David Beaudoin - UQTR
F - Alexis Loiseau - UQTR
F - Erik Bradford - Alberta
F - Brandon Magee - Alberta
F - Jack Rodewald - Alberta
D - Brett Cote - Alberta
D - Travis Brown - Alberta
D - Sawyer Lange - Alberta
D - Brendam Miller - Alberta (will most likely go pro)
G - Taran Kozun - Alberta
F - Matt Bellervie - Mt Royal
D - Brady Gaudet - Mt Royal
D - Blake Orban - Mt Royal

Would Alberta actually recruit a player outside of the WHL?

recruiter

Jul 14, 2011
I would be shock if Bradford went to Alberta. I don't even think he'll go school, base on conversations I had with him. Great kid off ice

Bearpaw

Mar 21, 2014
Bears got Jesse Gimblett from Saginaw in 2006 and more recently Barron Smith from the Petes in 2011 (but he came west with his family as father Steve was assistant with the Oilers). In a recent interview Ian Herbers did make reference to expanding the talent pool for recruiting and recruits were now seeking the Bears out. I would not be surprised to see some OHL talent come west.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I understand it's early and some of these are rumors at best but hopefully it will spark some conversation!
D - Austyn Hardie - SMU
D - Jessie Lessier - SMU
F - Stephen Anderson - UPEI
D - Ryan MacKinnon - UPEI
F - Olivier Caouette - UQTR
F - Frederic Gamelin - UQTR
D - Charles David Beaudoin - UQTR
F - Alexis Loiseau - UQTR
F - Erik Bradford - Alberta
F - Brandon Magee - Alberta
F - Jack Rodewald - Alberta
D - Brett Cote - Alberta
D - Travis Brown - Alberta
D - Sawyer Lange - Alberta
D - Brendam Miller - Alberta (will most likely go pro)
G - Taran Kozun - Alberta
F - Matt Bellervie - Mt Royal
D - Brady Gaudet - Mt Royal
D - Blake Orban - Mt Royal

Would Alberta actually recruit a player outside of the WHL?

I'm surprised Orban and Alberta aren't an item. Would seem like a perfect fit considering he's a soon-to-be former Oil King.

Bearpaw

Mar 21, 2014
There are some big names on that list for Alberta - that would make for an impressive class. Not surprised to see Orban listed for MRU as he is a Calgary native.

recruiter

Jul 14, 2011
I was told last night that Billy Jenkins who verbally committed to Western now has signed or will be signing with Lakehead

thook

Jan 9, 2010
I was told last night that Billy Jenkins who verbally committed to Western now has signed or will be signing with Lakehead

Nice pick up for Lakehead. They are going to need a solid year of major junior recruits to get this program going back in the directions their fans expect. Definitely need a forward or 2 more, couple Dmen and a top end goalie is a must this year.

recruiter

Jul 14, 2011
Mitchell Theoret is looking at Ontario schools at this time only. I've heard Carleton, Waterloo, Western and Ryerson he is interested in. Remember, schools named are just rumours

recruiter

Jul 14, 2011
It appears base on strong rumours that Luke Mercer of Niagara Ice Dogs has committed to Ryerson

BramptonFan09

Jun 2, 2012
Brampton, ON
Mitchell Theoret is looking at Ontario schools at this time only. I've heard Carleton, Waterloo, Western and Ryerson he is interested in. Remember, schools named are just rumours

I have heard Theoret has narrowed it down to Carelton or Queens.

Also to Queens:
Slater Doggett
Corey Genovese

recruiter

Jul 14, 2011
Doggett is heavy lean right now for Queens but is still looking at 2 ontario schools

Theoret isn't interested in Carleton

recruiter

Jul 14, 2011
Update on Theoret. carleton, Ryerson , queens western waterloo are his school of interest

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Unless something has changed, former V-Red Cam Maclise will be suiting up for Mount Royal next year after transferring and sitting out this past year.

JP Labardo, another former V-Red, was supposed to be transferring to Ryerson next year but I just noticed he has played all year for Gwinnett in the ECHL.

recruiter

Jul 14, 2011
Strong rumours:
Matt Bellerive F Vancouver WHL Mount Royal
Brandon Whitney Gautineau Qmjhl G SMU

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad