CIS off season (Recruiting)

Ched

Fueled by Passion
Jun 21, 2010
Quintin Lisoway who was an assistant captain for Brandon Wheat Kings last year and then went to the Q and then the Junior A MJHL this year has committed to the U of Manitoba. He is a tenacious, hard working, character forward. Great addition.

Ched

Fueled by Passion
Jun 21, 2010
more news out of the U of Manitoba. Hudson Friesen who played two years at the University of Alaska-Anchorage and who sat out this past year will be a Bison in 2016-17. That makes three very solid recruits for Mike Sirant and it is only the beginning of April.

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
Each CIS School can offer a player an AFA (Athletic Financial Award) up to that school's tuition and fees. There is a cap on the number of AFA's a hockey program can offer - I believe it's 75% of your roster.

Also - a program can slice and dice the AFA money any way they want - they are under no obligation to offer an AFA and when they do, it does not have to be a Full AFA (eg. you may offer half AFAs to a pair of depth guys, accounting for 1, while going full AFA for your top line guys).

Finally, I believe a program can increase their AFA allocation by one player for each Academic All-Canadian they have on the roster. A rewarded for recruiting quality academics.

So, I don't know if you would call it negotiate as the hockey program is under now obligation to give you an AFA, but a lot of school's will offer AFAs to their top recruits.

The OUA caps AFA's at $4,500 a year - well below tuition and fees. This is one reason why Ontario often loses some of its best OHL grads to the AUS.

Last edited:

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
The OUA caps AFA's at $4,500 a year - well below tuition and fees. This is one reason why Ontario often loses some of its best OHL grads to the AUS.

AFA's help, but creative coaches (in all CIS leagues) find other ways to help fund players. Working at a hockey camp, for example, is a great way to provide additional funding to top players. OUA teams have traditionally lagged in that area, as well.

Nick01477

Aug 29, 2015
started new project covering the OUA men's hockey, can follow me on twitter here: @ouahockeynews

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->