CIS going pro - 2014/15

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
Mississauga was hosting the Memorial Cup that year.

They traded for Michael D'Orazio and Chris Desousa (both of whom later played in the AUS with SMU and UPEI) both of whom were also overagers, and Mississauga had JP Andrerson in goal anyhow, so Peters was released.

You could be correct though as at that stage, Peters may have chosen to not play for another team.

Thanks for keeping me honest! :)

TFuel

Feb 27, 2013
Guelph forward Nick Huard and Guelph Goaltender Andrew D'Agostini are both headed to the ECHL although I am not sure exactly where.

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
Guelph forward Nick Huard and Guelph Goaltender Andrew D'Agostini are both headed to the ECHL although I am not sure exactly where.

D'Agostini looks like he turns 21 in about a week and a half. What does that do to his eligibility? And, more importantly, I guess, does he even plan to come back if he could?

Ringo

Mar 11, 2012
D'Agostini looks like he turns 21 in about a week and a half. What does that do to his eligibility? And, more importantly, I guess, does he even plan to come back if he could?

My understanding is he has burned one year of eligibility, so he still has 4 years. Once you play pro hockey after reaching the age of 21, it is a year of eligibility for each year you play pro.

Would think he could play 3 years pro and if he returned to CIS, would use 1 year eligibilty for each year he played pro. Then he would need to sit a year from his last pro game before he could start playing. Example would be he could play pro 3 years, return to University, sit out a year of playing from his last pro game and would have 1 year eligiblilty left.

My belief is how this works, do not think there is a clock on age to when eligibility runs out, but believe football does.

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
My understanding is he has burned one year of eligibility, so he still has 4 years. Once you play pro hockey after reaching the age of 21, it is a year of eligibility for each year you play pro.

Would think he could play 3 years pro and if he returned to CIS, would use 1 year eligibilty for each year he played pro. Then he would need to sit a year from his last pro game before he could start playing. Example would be he could play pro 3 years, return to University, sit out a year of playing from his last pro game and would have 1 year eligiblilty left.

My belief is how this works, do not think there is a clock on age to when eligibility runs out, but believe football does.

There is no clock on CIS eligibility for hockey. As a recent example, Paul Whalen and Matt Cossaboom both played for RMC in the late 90's / early 2000's, and then again a few years ago as Graduate students.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=64206

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com

But if D'Agoostini just played a few games in an emergency call-up role between now and his birthday on Mar 27, he could return to Guelph next season, correct?

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Both SMU and UNB will be looking for a number one goalie for next season. The Huskies may have the overall edge in recruiting because hosting the Nationals will be enticing for potential recruits.

Also, it wouldn't surprise me if Acadia might be thinking of recruiting a new goaltender as well. Glover just couldn't get the job done.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
But if D'Agoostini just played a few games in an emergency call-up role between now and his birthday on Mar 27, he could return to Guelph next season, correct?

A player can play pro while 21 years-old until Jan. 10th of the academic year. So Andrew can go pro for the remainder of this season and the Fall of next season - then return to Guelph without penalty (if he wants) after Christmas.

In most cases, the rule was intended to allow over-age players to try pro without penalty in the Fall of their potential first academic year. In this case, he started his CIS career earlier than most, but the 21 year-old rule still applies.

This also assumes that he remains academically eligible to be a student athlete under Guelph's & CIS's rules.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
A player can play pro while 21 years-old until Jan. 10th of the academic year. So Andrew can go pro for the remainder of this season and the Fall of next season - then return to Guelph without penalty (if he wants) after Christmas.

In most cases, the rule was intended to allow over-age players to try pro without penalty in the Fall of their potential first academic year. In this case, he started his CIS career earlier than most, but the 21 year-old rule still applies.

This also assumes that he remains academically eligible to be a student athlete under Guelph's & CIS's rules.

I believe they also have a rule on academic eligibility. A player cannot just drop out of school when his season ends and pick up again the next year. This rule was mostly aimed at football players.

leafhky88

Mar 16, 2009
Toronto

I don't believe he started his career earlier than most - he played his overage season last year with Peterborough (full season).

He is a 1993 - meaning he turns 22 in two weeks.

I am less familiar with the rules, but if he plays pro - I believer he will have to wait a full year from his last pro game to play CIS again.

I have not heard anything else about him going to the ECHL but if he does (again since he has already played 1 game in a previous year), I would think it would effectively end his CIS career in the foreseeable future.

Recruiter has posted Guelph has already recruited former OHL/ECHL/AHL goalie Scott Stajcer. If D'Agostini signs in the ECHL, Guelph is still okay in goal next year.

Last edited:

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
I don't believe he started his career earlier than most - he played his overage season last year with Peterborough (full season).

I am less familiar with the rules, but if he plays pro - I believer he will have to wait a full year from his last pro game to play CIS again.

I have not heard anything else about him going to the ECHL but if he does (again since he has already played 1 game in a previous year), I would think it would effectively end his CIS career in the foreseeable future.

Recruiter has posted Guelph has already recruited former OHL/ECHL/AHL goalie Scott Stajcer. If D'Agostini signs in the ECHL, Guelph is still okay in goal next year.

Apologies, bad numbers from me. If there's one thing a UWaterloo grad should nail, it's math. :shakehead

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Both SMU and UNB will be looking for a number one goalie for next season. The Huskies may have the overall edge in recruiting because hosting the Nationals will be enticing for potential recruits.

Also, it wouldn't surprise me if Acadia might be thinking of recruiting a new goaltender as well. Glover just couldn't get the job done.

I figure UNB will land Alex Dubeau out of Moncton give the Roger Shannon connection.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com

I hadn't checked his birthday, but as mentioned he has already turned 21.

If he plays pro - then he will lose 1-year of eligibility for each year he plays and would have to sit 365 days before playing. So, if he was to play Pro until Dec. 3rd, 2015, he would not be eligible to play in the CIS until Dec. 3, 2016 and he would have 3 years left (1 year at Guelph and 1 year of pro).

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
That hurts their offense (16G out of 114, 34A out of 188 - 50P out of 302) and 5 GWGs.

They will need Denomme, Beaudoin & Green to make-up the difference and a top freshman recruit.

According to the recruiting thread, Windsor has added Steven Anthony. He'll only have 3 years of eligibility, but he should help with that void up front.

recruiter

Jul 14, 2011
That hurts their offense (16G out of 114, 34A out of 188 - 50P out of 302) and 5 GWGs.

They will need Denomme, Beaudoin & Green to make-up the difference and a top freshman recruit.

Beaudoin & Palmer are rumoured to be done as well

TFuel

Feb 27, 2013
Guelph Gryphons Nick Huard has signed with the Cincinnati Cyclones of the ECHL

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Peters loses 1st AHL game versus the Marlies. 28 shots, 2 GA, 2 EN goals for 4-1 loss. Not a terrible outing for sure. Hope he gets another start.

Edit: Both goals were scored on the PP and Peters was given 3rd star. So, not a terrible outing at all.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad