Chych Norris Discussion

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
Playoffs shouldn't matter, but it seems like it does.

"No player has ever won the Norris on a non-playoff team, dating back to the award’s inception in 1954."
That seems like a dumb stat that could have been established by legitimate winners only being on playoff teams, but then voters following the trend as though it's always been a factor. We just need better clarity about what constitutes a good season by a defenseman. All we have now are an incomplete set of proxies that measure to different degrees purported skills for when the eye test can't be done.

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
That seems like a dumb stat that could have been established by legitimate winners only being on playoff teams, but then voters following the trend as though it's always been a factor. We just need better clarity about what constitutes a good season by a defenseman. All we have now are an incomplete set of proxies that measure to different degrees purported skills for when the eye test can't be done.
It has also largely become a most offensive D man Award when in reality the highest scoring D is rarely the "best" D man.

Reactions: MIGs Dog

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Karlsson winning the Norris ruined the award. It's largely now about points instead of actual defense.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
This guy has Chychrun at #5 behind Fox, Makar, McAvoy, and Hamilton. Good that he's being noticed.

Reactions: Jakey53

bruyotes

May 5, 2021
Need some positive vibes around here. All of this negativity is blocking my Qi.

Jakob Chychrun...legitimate Norris candidate or what? Leads is goals, but pt total is not among the top. Also, does +/- matter? What about fancy stats?

Also funny that Ghost is still top 10 in goals.

View attachment 426847

He's not topping the league in points, but he's certainly among the top D in point total. And it seems the only difference between him and the higher-scoring D-men is secondary assists and power play points (second pic).

That said, I certainly agree that the voting probably won't be representative of Chychrun's incredible season because the Coyotes and all, I just wanted to point this out. Because if Fox and Chychrun's totals were swapped, we all know Ranger fans and national media would be making the same points as us.
Screen Shot 2021-05-05 at 3.10.22 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-05 at 3.13.41 PM.png

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
How many points did Fox put up against those renowned overachievers Buffalo, New Jersey, or the Flyers?

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
How many points did Fox put up against those renowned overachievers Buffalo, New Jersey, or the Flyers?
Fox has 30/47 against those 3, 14 of which are power play points (23 total PPP) (NJ 31st, PHI 30th, BUF 24th in PK).

Chychrun has 21/38 against bot 3, 7 of which are power play points (12 total PPP) (ANA 15th, SJ 12th, LA 4th in PK).

Reactions: Grimes and hbk

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
They does seem to be a trend where players who are good and can maintain a few seasons of it can get some consideration because of this. So at least he's putting himself into the conversation and will be on the watchlist from the get-go here on out. Personally, I weigh the goal-scoring a lot higher than just racking up the points like a lot of the contenders are doing. I don't think they are padding their stats, but I do think it's clear those teams have more competent offenses, whereas Chychrun's production is definitely demonstrating that he is a supreme generator of offense and the team will just flounder without him. So he's producing it on the same level as every one else, but he's also got that target on him as one of the only options we have.

I was looking over what NHL awards the Coyotes have won and my only recollection was Bobby Francis and Tippett winning the Jack Adams for coach of the year. I feel like with a new coach, maybe the team can overachieve next year and there can be a third winning. Doan once won the King Clancy for humanitarian efforts and leadership off the ice, and he also won the Messier for on-ice leadership. Maloney won the Jim Gregory GM of the year in its inaugural season. Of note, I remember being annoyed that there was no award for Tkachuk when he led the league in goals. The Rocket Richard was created and awarded starting 2 seasons after his feat.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
They does seem to be a trend where players who are good and can maintain a few seasons of it can get some consideration because of this.

Who does *that* sound like from about 6 years ago? (fast forward to 2028, where Chychrun, on his new albatross of a contract, becomes the new C and starts injuring himself while training again)

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Coffee was better on D than Karlsonn. Orr was better than both on either end of the ice, best player of all time.
Orr was, just incredible. Was sad when he got to our neck of the woods and his knees had completely failed him.
Would have been easier to witness if he was still in a Bruins sweater.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I'm sure everyone has heard the news, but what the heck, I'm updating this thread. JC finished 10th in Norris vote. My completely unbiased opinion is he should have been higher, but playing in the desert and not making the playoffs hurt his cause. Nonetheless...great season by Chick!

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I'm sure everyone has heard the news, but what the heck, I'm updating this thread. JC finished 10th in Norris vote. My completely unbiased opinion is he should have been higher, but playing in the desert and not making the playoffs hurt his cause. Nonetheless...great season by Chick!

"Unbiased"??? :laugh:

That's pretty good company he's up there with. I agree he was hurt by the "Coyotes effect" to some degree but everyone above him was worthy as well.

(BTW.... Craig Morgan gave him a third.)

Reactions: Jakey53

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
"Unbiased"??? :laugh:

That's pretty good company he's up there with. I agree he was hurt by the "Coyotes effect" to some degree but everyone above him was worthy as well.

(BTW.... Craig Morgan gave him a third.)

I think he should’ve swapped places with Nurse on this list. Think about those guys. Nurse flings the puck to McDavid and Drai all day. Letang to Malkin, Crosby, and Guentzel. Weegar could have an argument, but guy shares ice time with Barkov and Huberdeau.

Chych was basically by himself

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad