Chuck Fletcher & Management Discussion Thread

Ladde

Apr 28, 2012
Oates is a terrible headcoach. Stay away from that trainwreck unless we want to tank.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Seems people want Fletcher and Co to bat 1.000. Not going to happen, mistakes will be made. Just a matter if he learns from those mistakes.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Dallas' scouting staff & management must be doing something right; they've pulled Benn and Klingberg out of late rounds, then developed them into studs.

I think winning the Seguin lottery was luck and timing, honestly. Johansen could be the same scenario.

Yep, you hit the nail on the head. While Nino hasn't exploded the way Seguin did, that trade for the Wild was a complete steal in a similar way. We got a 20 goal scorer for a 12 goal scorer and a 3rd, and that 20 goal scorer is still developing and may get even better at scoring. Pretty good move by Fletcher.

I prefer to not blame Fletcher for not being able to get Seguin. The Wild didn't really have a Loui Eriksson to trade (Pominville would be the closest thing, but is slighly higher paid and was entering the final year of his Sabres deal, whereas Eriksson had 3 years left on his deal). And instead of Joe Morrow being in that deal, we would have probably had to deal Dumba. Maybe the newly drafted Olofsson could have done it, but I doubt it. And how about the Reilly Smith in that deal? Maybe Coyle or Nino?
So the question becomes, would the Bruins have done the deal for Pominville, Coyle/Nino and Dumba more than they would have done it for Eriksson, Smith and Morrow (Fraser was really a throw-in)? Maybe, maybe not. But could the Wild even take on Peverly's cap hit at the time? Pretty important, since that cap dump was a part of the deal. I don't know for certain, but I believe Danny Heatley's contract was preventing that at the time.

The point is, people can't blame Fletcher for something like that, because they have no idea if we were in trade talks or not, much less what was being asked of the Wild. My example above is just a guess.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
We have like the worst prospect pool in the league right now.

We traded 3 2nd round picks and a 3rd for healthy scratches in the playoffs the last 2 years(Moulson/Stewart/Bergenheim).

When was this? He traded his first 1st round pick and our best d-man for a guy he had to buy out barely a year after.

I do believe this is the case, but then its the players Fletcher's bringing in that are the problem. They've been horrible fits.

burns was traded for coyle setoguchi was just an add..... havlat was traded for heatley....

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Hasn't this team gotten better every year Fletcher has been here? That's quite a feat imo. When the trajectory starts going down it's time to evaluate Fletcher again.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
The way this team will look in 10, we will be looking for a #1 overall in the lottery.

Wha?

We could possibly still have Brodin, Scandella, Spurgeon, Reilly, Olofsson, Dumba, Nino, Zucker, Coyle, Granlund, hopefully Tuch and Ek, plus whatever we draft in the interim.

On D, especially, we look pretty good. And Dmen age better than forwards.

To project 10 years from now with any certainty is hard for any team, but we're in decent shape.

Last edited:

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Hasn't this team gotten better every year Fletcher has been here? That's quite a feat imo. When the trajectory starts going down it's time to evaluate Fletcher again.

It's not that hard to get better when you keep adding free agents and trading away draft picks. BTW we'll have to pass 100 points this season to keep getting better.

Billy Mays Here*

It's not that hard to get better when you keep adding free agents and trading away draft picks. BTW we'll have to pass 100 points this season to keep getting better.

And I consider "getting better" showing improvement in the playoffs as well, something we didn't do last year.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Wha?

We could possibly still have Brodin, Scandella, Spurgeon, Reilly, Olofsson, Dumba, Nino, Zucker, Coyle, Granlund, hopefully Tuch and Ek, plus whatever we draft in the interim.

On D, especially, we look pretty good. And Dmen age better than forwards.

To project 10 years from now with any certainty is hard for any team, but we're in decent shape.

Exactly 10 years is hard. And you put faith a lot of those players will be around. How do you expect to sign 2 20+ goal scorers if you're paying for a Top 2 Dman and 2 top 4 Dmen when you're still eating 6+ million on aging players? Koivu isn't going to be making $4M on his next and you know they won't let him walk. And those types of contracts are coming quicker than people want to admit. I'd expect many will start to push for shorter deals to leverage the team.

saywut

Jun 11, 2009
burns was traded for coyle setoguchi was just an add..... havlat was traded for heatley....

? Burns wasn't the "best d-man" I was referring to. That title belonged to Kim Johnsson from the day he signed with the Wild to the day they gave him away(and shortly after got concussed which ended his career) along with a first round pick for garbage they had to buy-out just over a year after.

e: My opinion of the Burns' trade is it was a calculated risk. While the trade itself ended up poorly value-wise for the Wild, it has not negatively affected the quality of the team.

Last edited:

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
? Burns wasn't the "best d-man" I was referring to. That title belonged to Kim Johnsson from the day he signed with the Wild to the day they gave him away(and shortly after got concussed which ended his career) along with a first round pick for garbage they had to buy-out just over a year after.

e: My opinion of the Burns' trade is it was a calculated risk. While the trade itself ended up poorly value-wise for the Wild, it has not negatively affected the quality of the team.

Funny. Most of the folks I know down in Chicago said he slept with a players wife and that is why he was outcasted. Didn't get a ring or name on cup either. I liked him on the team, but that was also during a time when we had squat on that blue line. Zidlicky was the hot shot and considered Top 2. Our 5/6 was Hnidy and Zanon.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I'm good with Fletcher. My big issue is with Poms. I saw the beginnings of his drop off in the PO's two years ago against CO and CHI. Looked to me like a guy who was soft and ineffective when the games got more important. I want a GM to see these things before guys like me do, and act. Sam Pollock in MTL was a master in moving players just before their play dropped off, rather than waiting till afterwards.

Yeo drives me crazy with a couple of things, but he's good too. It appears that the team still listens to him.

That first paragraph is exactly how I felt. Poms was/is a solid player but he just disappears in playoff level games. Not about choking or effort but he just doesn't have that extra gear most other guys have and he gets rendered ineffective pretty easily in those situations.

GMCF needs to do better with asset management. We keep throwing away our B level prospects and 2nd/3rd picks for over the hill vets. Now the cupboards are empty and the vets are gone and we have scrubs like Gabriel playing in the show.

And whoever runs Iowa (Flahr?) needs to be fired or at least given a gentle ball tap so they wake up. The farm is important and ours is a dumpster fire.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Exactly 10 years is hard. And you put faith a lot of those players will be around. How do you expect to sign 2 20+ goal scorers if you're paying for a Top 2 Dman and 2 top 4 Dmen when you're still eating 6+ million on aging players? Koivu isn't going to be making $4M on his next and you know they won't let him walk. And those types of contracts are coming quicker than people want to admit. I'd expect many will start to push for shorter deals to leverage the team.

Hopefully Fletcher learned a lesson with the Backstrom contract, and gives Koivu a contract that is a paying him for what he will do in the future, not what he has done in the past. MK has made plenty of $$...no tear need be shed for him.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Hopefully Fletcher learned a lesson with the Backstrom contract, and gives Koivu a contract that is a paying him for what he will do in the future, not what he has done in the past. MK has made plenty of $$...no tear need be shed for him.

I pray you are right. Seriously I do. The issue I see arising is if this team starts to squander this year here are some things that are going to be affected right away (no Stadium Series). However, I can see Koivu being something they cannot let go because something is definitely missing from the rafters they'll want to exploit to get fans in the seats for a game: retired jersey. Koivu would be the first and since he is the first perm Captain they won't want to do wrong by him. Short of the other 2 wearing letters, everyone else on this team is completely expendable.

The other two are golden geese anyway and I firmly believe they are the reason the cupboards are bare: it became a "win now" mentality with Leipold and Fletcher and that made the prospect pool suffer. Not complaining that they are here at all, but if you look at what Fletcher was doing before the signings and then after it was completely different. They don't make moves for Moulson, Pominville or Stewart. Let alone for Kobasew or the rest of the ones that were squandered.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
One of the issues is that Fletcher built just enough depth but not enough depth that he couldn't move anyone at the deadline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad