Chuck Fletcher & Management Discussion Thread

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
3 seasons removed from the last one now, and a very different roster... so even though, yes they have won 3 cups in recent times, that has little to do with their situation right NOW.

They won in 2015 and this is 2017. The core is almost the same. Someone said they don't have much depth but they actually have tons because they draft a lot of college players and have now signed quite a few as well. (The Wild's top-shelf is better but the Hawks have tons of prospects.) Cap-wise they're tight because Panarin just got a raise to 6 million for next season. They need to jettison probably because they overpaid for their core guys but if they can shake Seabrook free somehow they'll be ok.

Fletch has a different set of challenges. Not overpaying for 22/64 and not losing a trade again. How to evaluate the defense is key: Folin, Reilly, Olofsson, Prosser all need new contracts. Spurgeon, Dumba, Brodin, Scandella could all be exposed. The free agent market is dubious as ever (Mark Stone looking for a raise on 4 million, Andrei Markov or Mark Streit at their ages?).

Biggest summer ever for Fletch.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
They won in 2015 and this is 2017. The core is almost the same. Someone said they don't have much depth but they actually have tons because they draft a lot of college players and have now signed quite a few as well. (The Wild's top-shelf is better but the Hawks have tons of prospects.) Cap-wise they're tight because Panarin just got a raise to 6 million for next season. They need to jettison probably because they overpaid for their core guys but if they can shake Seabrook free somehow they'll be ok.

Fletch has a different set of challenges. Not overpaying for 22/64 and not losing a trade again. How to evaluate the defense is key: Folin, Reilly, Olofsson, Prosser all need new contracts. Spurgeon, Dumba, Brodin, Scandella could all be exposed. The free agent market is dubious as ever (Mark Stone looking for a raise on 4 million, Andrei Markov or Mark Streit at their ages?).

Biggest summer ever for Fletch.

Ya, no.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008

A thing can be unlikely and not impossible. If they haven't discussed it, they're not doing their job.

Spurgeon's a free agent in 2020 and that means he doesn't fit Vegas's game plan the way Brodin and especially Dumba do. Thus there might be less risk in exposing him than there is in exposing Dumba (a no-brainer selection) or Brodin (a likely choice).

I understand he's better than Scandella and his being one year older and one million dollars more expensive probably aren't huge considerations for McPhee. But they might be, especially if you work in an inducement angle.

Spurgeon is a good player, no doubt about it. Is he a bit overrated in the SoH because of being a great story and how underrated he once was? I believe that might be the case.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
A thing can be unlikely and not impossible. If they haven't discussed it, they're not doing their job.

Spurgeon's a free agent in 2020 and that means he doesn't fit Vegas's game plan the way Brodin and especially Dumba do. Thus there might be less risk in exposing him than there is in exposing Dumba (a no-brainer selection) or Brodin (a likely choice).

I understand he's better than Scandella and his being one year older and one million dollars more expensive probably aren't huge considerations for McPhee. But they might be, especially if you work in an inducement angle.

Spurgeon is a good player, no doubt about it. Is he a bit overrated in the SoH because of being a great story and how underrated he once was? I believe that might be the case.
He is one of best possession players in the league and has been for a couple years.
but he is overrated

Last edited:

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
And Dan Hamhuis is better than Erik Karlsson or Shea Weber?

What is that supposed to prove? All I'm saying is that Spurgeon is an option for exposure (if they won't lose him). I know he's legit. Again it's not likely but the only player that isn't an option is Suter. And as I've said before, it's worth exploring the trade market for Spurgeon. I'm not saying the Wild need a physical defender, the brass is. Brodin and Spurgeon are not that, thus we should be prepared for the possibility that one of them goes this summer.

And no Spurgeon isn't all a product of Suter by any means before someone makes that straw man argument, but Suter certainly helps.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
And Dan Hamhuis is better than Erik Karlsson or Shea Weber?

What is that supposed to prove? All I'm saying is that Spurgeon is an option for exposure (if they won't lose him). I know he's legit. Again it's not likely but the only player that isn't an option is Suter. And as I've said before, it's worth exploring the trade market for Spurgeon. I'm not saying the Wild need a physical defender, the brass is. Brodin and Spurgeon are not that, thus we should be prepared for the possibility that one of them goes this summer.

And no Spurgeon isn't all a product of Suter by any means before someone makes that straw man argument, but Suter certainly helps.

You said he was overrated by Minnesota. He was that defensemen way before playing with Suter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad