GDT: Christmas 2023

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
IMG_3745.gif

Figured I’d be festive a bit and make us a thread. What’s everyone doing for the holiday? Also can’t wait to see what you lot get under your tree this year.

I’m working today (the joys of retail), then just plan to spend the day tomorrow with family.

Also too lazy to make a poll, but what’s everyone’s favorite Christmas movie?

My vote goes to The Ref.

Merry Christmas, and to those who don’t celebrate enjoy your free day off.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
The joys of working on a college campus, the campus was shut down entirely starting on the 20th and doesn't open again until January 2nd when Winter semester starts so I basically get a 2 week paid christmas holiday without using any vacation time. First time in years getting a meaningful holiday break has been quite nice so far.

Was excited for the World Juniors this year until I seen the times for a lot of the games. 7AM start for Canada on boxing day is gonna be rough but at least the rest of Canada's games are more of a noon start.

Anyway, Happy Holidays everyone! Stay safe and don't do anything stupid if you're out.

Last edited:

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
If it were up to me, I wouldn't bother with Christmas, but my 3 daughters and my holiday happy fiancee have different opinions.

We're in Texas staying at my in-laws. Which is always a hoot with drama and chaos. And then traveling back to CO with suitcases full of toys my kids will discard 10 minutes after getting home.

I don't really have a favorite Christmas movie, my dad back in the UK still loves watching National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. I could happily either watch or not watch it.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I'm so glad I'm not working retail anymore. The month of December used to be miserable for me, I dreaded it every year.
In high school I worked at a Payless Shoe Store for a year. Holy crap that store got destroyed by customers every single day from Black Friday through New Years. Because of school I was the store closer and got to reset the store before leaving each night. At least it was slow and boring. Also, Mariah Carey's All I Want for Christmas is You hadn't been released yet so I had that going for me. It was all Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole, Bing Crosby and the Carpenters.

So yeah, for all you retail types, even though I didn't contribute to your problems, I'd still like to apologize on behalf of humanity for what we've done to y'all.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
In high school I worked at a Payless Shoe Store for a year. Holy crap that store got destroyed by customers every single day from Black Friday through New Years. Because of school I was the store closer and got to reset the store before leaving each night. At least it was slow and boring. Also, Mariah Carey's All I Want for Christmas is You hadn't been released yet so I had that going for me. It was all Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole, Bing Crosby and the Carpenters.

So yeah, for all you retail types, even though I didn't contribute to your problems, I'd still like to apologize on behalf of humanity for what we've done to y'all.
At the grocery store I used to work at, there was one particular song in heavy rotation for the Holidays that still haunts me 15 years later. It was a very twangy country cover of "Jingle Bell Rock", and it was so relentlessly annoying that I still remember it vividly. Give me Mariah Carey any day over that abomination.

The hardware store at least had a very wide variety of songs in their rotation, so it didn't get old as quickly. They also had a tradition of hiring a live string trio with a harpist, cellist, and violinist to play on the weekends in the middle of the store, that was a nice change.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad